Is music just another language?

Is music just another language?

Other urls found in this thread:

www2.lawrence.edu/fast/KOOPMAJO/antiquity.html
psychologytoday.com/blog/your-musical-self/201209/which-came-first-music-or-language
neurosciencenews.com/theory-music-underlies-language-acquisition/
youtube.com/watch?v=147kS8O59Qs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>just
No

No, but it's a sign system, like language
Lrrn2semioticspleb

It's an art form that you can communicate ideas with, like any other form of art, but that doesn't mean it's a language.

It's a sign system and also language, it has notation.

Sounds that you communicate ideas with, it's language.

>Sounds that you communicate ideas with, it's language.
So writing isn't language?

There's a lady who's sure
All that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven.
When she gets there she knows
If the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for.
Ooh ooh and she's buying a stairway to heaven.
There's a sign on the wall
But she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.
In a tree by the brook
There's a songbird who sings,
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven.
Ooh, it makes me wonder,
Ooh, it makes me wonder.
There's a feeling I get
When I look to the west,
And my spirit is crying for leaving.
In my thoughts I have seen
Rings of smoke through the trees,
And the voices of those who standing looking.
Ooh, it makes me wonder,
Ooh, it really makes me wonder.
And it's whispered that soon, If we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason.
And a new day will dawn
For those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter.
If there's a bustle in your hedgerow,
Don't be alarmed now,
It's just a spring clean for the May queen.
Yes, there are two paths you can go by
But in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on.
And it makes me wonder.
Your head is humming and it won't go
In case you don't know,
The piper's calling you to join him,
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow,
And did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul.
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How ev'rything still turns to gold.
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last.
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll.
And she's buying a stairway to heaven.

Writing too, and any symbol recognition based communication.

I don't have a source, but some anthropologists think that singing developed before spoken language in humans.

if it's an abstract construct that contains information meant to be understood, by anthropological definition it's language. a vast majority of music falls under this category.

Music, math, and language are fundamentally connected. They are "arbitrary" but despite this they manage to be full of "meaning", there is a very profound truth in this somewhere.

*plagiarism intensifies*

not music. poetry inside of music. that doesn't mean music isn't linguistic, though.

There is a house in New Orleans
They call the Rising Sun
And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy
And God I know I'm one

My mother was a tailor
She sewed my new bluejeans
My father was a gamblin' man
Down in New Orleans

Now the only thing a gambler needs
Is a suitcase and trunk
And the only time he's satisfied
Is when he's on, a drunk

Oh mother tell your children
Not to do what I have done
Spend your lives in sin and misery
In the House of the Rising Sun

Well, I got one foot on the platform
The other foot on the train
I'm goin' back to New Orleans
To wear that ball and chain

Well, there is a house in New Orleans
They call the Rising Sun
And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy
And God I know I'm one

I don't have your source, but i think they're full of shit anyway.

Not that other faggot but I've heard the same theory. Our larynx only adopted its modern form some ~100,000 years ago, before then we'd have grunted, used gestures, and sung.
www2.lawrence.edu/fast/KOOPMAJO/antiquity.html
psychologytoday.com/blog/your-musical-self/201209/which-came-first-music-or-language

neurosciencenews.com/theory-music-underlies-language-acquisition/

>Contrary to the prevailing theories that music and language are cognitively separate or that music is a byproduct of language, theorists at Rice University’s Shepherd School of Music and the University of Maryland, College Park (UMCP) advocate that music underlies the ability to acquire language.
>“Spoken language is a special type of music,” said Anthony Brandt, co-author of a theory paper published online this month in the journal Frontiers in Cognitive Auditory Neuroscience. “Language is typically viewed as fundamental to human intelligence, and music is often treated as being dependent on or derived from language. But from a developmental perspective, we argue that music comes first and language arises from music.”

But Orpheus, the son of Oeagrus, the harper, they sent empty away, and presented to him an apparition only of her whom he sought, but herself they would not give up, because he showed no spirit; he was only a harp-player, and did not-dare like Alcestis to die for love, but was contriving how he might enter hades alive; moreover, they afterwards caused him to suffer death at the hands of women, as the punishment of his cowardliness.

Many are the noble words in which poets speak concerning the actions of men; but like yourself when speaking about Homer, they do not speak of them by any rules of art: they are simply inspired to utter that to which the Muse impels them, and that only; and when inspired, one of them will make dithyrambs, another hymns of praise, another choral strains, another epic or iambic verses- and he who is good at one is not good any other kind of verse: for not by art does the poet sing, but by power divine. Had he learned by rules of art, he would have known how to speak not of one theme only, but of all; and therefore God takes away the minds of poets, and uses them as his ministers, as he also uses diviners and holy prophets, in order that we who hear them may know them to be speaking not of themselves who utter these priceless words in a state of unconsciousness, but that God himself is the speaker, and that through them he is conversing with us.

>durrrrr hurrrrr you can communicate ideas therefore it's a language
Animals have been able to grunt and scream at each other for millions of years, a language is a far more complicated system that goes beyond just being used to "communicate ideas". Fuck off back to /mu/ where you belong pseud

>it's been the ruin of many a poor boy
The gender change the Animals did in their version of the song kind of ruins it. Traditionally, the song was sung from a female point of view (even by men), and it was about a brothel. The narrator was a woman whowas living a miserable life as a whore, talking about how much it sucked, and warning people not to make the same bad choices she had.

The Animals's version changes it to being a song about how much it sucks to be poor. Maybe because they were Brits they didn't realize it, but they basically stripped the song of its original meaning.

>Traditionally, the song was sung from a female point of view (even by men

No it wasn't. It was always sung from the perspective of either gender in the folk tradition and the earliest known recording of the song uses male pronouns (though the earliest lyric sheet uses female pronouns). Josh White and Leadbelly popularized the female pronoun version that Dylan covered.

youtube.com/watch?v=147kS8O59Qs

>I know more than evolutionary biologists and linguists
>That's why you're the pseud and not me!

lmao the sheer arrogance on this board

if you didn't see the big fat depression thread on the front page you'd figure every last one of you had the keys to the secrets of the universe in palm as you typed

ONLY SHOOOOOTIN STAAAARRSS BREAK THA MOOOOLLLALD
It's a coo place and they say it gets colda, bundled up now wait till ya get olda, but the media men bed to diffa judging by the whole in tha satilite Picta
Yup wut a concept!