Would you say that modern Western culture is anti-intellectual? What are the aspects...

Would you say that modern Western culture is anti-intellectual? What are the aspects, particularly in the United States and UK, that lead to a resentment of those who have an education if so? Is there a way that it could be corrected?

Anglo and especially American culture is anti-intellectual, and always has been. Other parts of "the West" have long traditions of lionising intellectuals and putting their trust in technocratic solutions, the fact that the democratic Anglo "lassie faire" system seems to give better results should give intellectuals some pause.

Has it ever been this bad historically? I've been called an elitist for simply reading books or saying the names of noted historians in a discussion.

I don't think it's anti intellectual so much as pro "everyone is entitled to their opinion". Look at places like East Asia where people who drop out of high school are literally ashamed of giving an opinion on something and flat out say they are not qualified to talk about it and defer entirely to experts.

I always wonder if we could fix this problem by having people beat their kids.

accusing critics of anti-intellectualism is the forté of pseudointellectuals

I blame the movement that started in the 90s where the student/teacher relationship was supposed to be "mutually enlightening" starting in elementary school.

Asians don't pull that shit. The teacher is there to teach and the student to learn.

>forté

>accusing other people of being pseudointellectuals

Like what the Asimove quote in your picture says; it's a misunderstood insistence on that everyone should have their say.

See, I see it as much in the boomers as with anyone else

>well the climate scientists think global warming is real, but this guy on AM radio is who I'd want to have a beer with
>well, psychiatrists spent the 50s and 60s repeatedly trying and failing to cure homosexuality, but I'm pretty sure it's a choice
>you don't honestly believe those studies? Vaccines totally cause autism and big pharma is covering it up

At some point, we stopped teaching kids that their opinions aren't worth much.

Holding retarded opinions is just as much a problem in East Asia as it is in the west.

I honestly can't imagine something like global warming denial becoming big in East Asia.

Once the big cheese decides on something, that shit is settled.

This isn't to say that the culture doesn't have myriad social and political problems that make the west's problems look like nothing.

Pretty sure once all the Baby Boom*rs die off the vast majority of climate change denial will go with them.

No, instead you have belief in regarded shit like Fan Death, YEC (especially in Korea), and that ground up rhinoceros horn will give you a bigger dick.

The form changes, the underlying retardation is the same.

You see, in Asian countries, once the government decides on a policy, there isn't much opposition.

So if the scientists managed to convince the cabinet, it would trickle down from there.

I maintain this to be true. Once you control an Asian countries leadership, you control their society.

There's a long history of anti-intellectualism and it comes from different areas. Some threads of a-i are classed based antagonisms. Some threads are feminine-masculine antagonisms (academia eventually became seen as feminine). Some a-i threads are religious based- protestants, evangelicals in particular- but also new age hippy spiritualists are anti-science for aesthetic reasons. Some threads are rebellious and anarchistic in nature- and a large part of some punk/stoner music/art/cultural scenes. And finally an a-i thread coming out of the anti-colonial movements- I'd put them close to the hippy new age spiritualists since they want to privy the "knowledge and wisdom" of their ancestors.

Those are the different anti-intellectual threads I've noticed.

>Fan Death
Fan death is not a conspiracy perpetuated by the Korean high school dropout yokels though, but literally a thing the Korean equivalent of the CDC believes exists.

Then why is belief in Fan Death so prevalent, despite governmental scorn lasting decades?

>You see, in Asian countries, once the government decides on a policy, there isn't much opposition
No.

Because the government doesn't give a shit one way or the other.

Supposedly, the South Korean government actually created the myth of fan death during the Arab oil embargo in an effort to get people to use less energy.

The problem is "intellectualism" doesn't even have an agreed upon term. Calling oneself an "intellectual" is heavily abused. Especially among leftist. What makes one an intellectual? Having a degree higher than bachelors in a humanities field? In a STEM field? Reading a lot of academic books? Writing academic books? Caring about social sciences? Caring about hard sciences?

I think most people are UN-intelligent.

Most of them are far too stupid to be envious of intelligent people; they actually believe they're intelligent when they spent the last 3 decades driving a cab, flipping burgers, stocking shelves or putting bolt a into hole b.

They lust for money--lottery gambling--because they have no chance of solving any of their problems with their brain and hard work; and they are so shallow that they believe the lack of money is their biggest problem.

>seems to give better results
>the two nuclear capable anglo countries just destroyed themselves from within via democratic (or in the case of the US, '''''democratic''''') means
>arguably only got where they are today because the oceans gave them an insurmountable strategic advantage

Let's not give ourselves credit where it isn't due.

The thing is, we need people like them. We just don't need them thinking they have an opinion that is as valuable as an expert in their field's.

For people who are quick to say "I don't tell you how to do your job!" they sure act like they know how to do the jobs of others.

A whole lotta dumb people think they're smart.

Western society puts pseudo-intellectuals (Bill Nye, Noam Chompsky, etc) on a pedastal, and most people believe anything they hear that "studies prove".

>not know what fan death is
>look it up
wtf, how can anyone be this stupid? why would it even kill you? how? humans are silly fucking animals.

>they actually believe they're intelligent when they spent the last 3 decades driving a cab, flipping burgers, stocking shelves or putting bolt a into hole b.

I wouldn't go so far as to say all people who do those things are dumb. There can be some really well read and intelligent people who have the misfortune to be in a bad economic position.

>Would you say that modern Western culture is anti-intellectual?

Yes, though I'd argue that it's a symptom of intellectuals having no quality control or discipline rather than a cultural attitude.

I would like to blame cable TV for destroying America's mind.

Noam Chomsky revolutionized linguistics. To call him a pseudo-intellectual is absurd. You may disagree with his political views, but that doesn't mean he isn't an intellectual. Just out of his area of expertise.

t. Weeaboo.

Well, the cancer of YEC's and anti-vaxxers surely qualifies.

dude lisen up for a dame minute k way are u talking shit about America for dude look at u are all talked bitches

I have yet to encounter any anti intellectualism from anyone, and I live in Atlanta. This "anti intellectual" argument has always struck me as elites complaining that "dumb people" don't know what's best for them and should just let the elites run their lives. For example, elites say people protesting global warming is anti intellectual because it clearly exists, but the elites either ignore or don't realize global warming isn't just a phenomenon but a complete political movement that takes a leftist view on how to go about solving the issue. Obviously people don't want to pay a tax on gasoline they have to use to survive. Why not outlaw private jets instead?

um well late see nope

Being out of your area of expertise is being a pseudo intellectual.

>"lassie faire"
What are you trying to say, girl ?

You don't get it in Atlanta? I talk history and precedence of things, and mention Supreme Court cases when talking about law. I'm in the Midwest and constantly get called an elitist.

People have gotten upset at me for having any sort of expanded knowledge on a subject because I assume they think I think I'm talking down to them. I'm not, I just know more than them and its hard to have a conversation with someone who is ignorant. I only reserve scorn for the willfully ignorant who still desire to have an opinion though.

So people drag politics into science and then get uppity and talk about leftist bias when they have to give up a little bit of comfort?

The average american does consume a lot more energy than your average third worlder. Reducing the net energy consumption of said average american will go a longer way in reducing carbon emissions and global warming than outlawing the relatively small number of private jets.

It's not like aviation fuel is cheap in the first place either.

>chinks and gooks
>intelligent
>actually fucking praising them for their unthinking horde like behaviors

Neck yourself pathetic weeb cuck

This. Trying to tell us how intellectually enlightened this societies are while in fact the people are supersticious and collectivist. The school Systems there are bent on memorizing stuff without really applying it.

I don't think it is a coincidence that the liberal and individiualistic western societies are leading in science,economy,engineering,military etc.

Academics became pseudo intellectuals, hence the distrust in people that earn a salary to spout nonsense.