"western civilization"

>People actually think this is a real thing and not a vaguely defined abstraction.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rr8ljRgcJNM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_culture
fortune.com/2016/11/09/donald-trump-election-2016-catholic-vote/
christianhistoryinstitute.org/magazine/article/charlemagne-idea-of-christendom/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>people actually think vaguely defined abstractions aren't real things

>I'm threatened by European Christendom uniting under a common banner in an increasingly globalized world so I will belittle them in an attempt to divide and conquer

Abstractions are good when its "White Privilege" but bad when its "Western Civilization."

Western civilization is what used to exist. Now its 'American civilization'.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rr8ljRgcJNM

>European Christendom

Literally what?

The only people who use that phrase are /pol/ types and SJWs desu

But it's objective that minorities are worse-off in a lot of areas than whites. Black and brown people tend to be perceived as less competent by teachers and employers regardless of their actual merit. On the flipside, Asians are stereotyped as smart but antisocial, which leads to their exclusion from affirmative action policies and their general inability to be chosen for managerial positions -- the notorious "bamboo ceiling".

Western civilization is extremely common in the vernacular. Is everything /pol/ to you?

>But it's objective that minorities are worse-off in a lot of areas than whites.
Vague and ambiguous

I never hear it said IRL. Except when talking about the ancient Greeks and stuff.

Not every minority. Sounds spooked

I hear it on news, in history books and general discussions of a varied nature.

>I hear it on news

In what context?

"Western" civilization is an euphemism for White civilization

Geopolitical clashes. Terrorism

>Geopolitical clashes. Terrorism

So they are saying the terrorists are attacking "western civilization"? That's like George Bush levels of saying "they hate us because of our freedoms".

He means the fairy tale /pol/ told him, where antiquated beliefs unite catholic, orthodox, protestant and other groups in a pan-european trans-national alliance to defeat the cucks

>antiquated beliefs
*tips fedora

Excuse me, but it's called "faustian civilization" and it is well defined and very real

>Christian sects fought in the past therefore it's impossible for people to unite under a weak bland kind of cultural Christianity in the modern world

Modern Christendom would be very African.

And, to be frank, Christendom and nationalism is non-compatible. It was nationalism that destroyed Christendom, what with the wars of religion and the treaty of Westphalia and such.

Perfect go to for a non rebuttal to a semi joking post. gj
Missing the point entirely. See
The cultural/historical differences are too vast.

>The cultural/historical differences are too vast.
{citation needed}

Kill yourself

if sjws love to go on and on about how humanity would unite across racial lines if fighting an exterrestrial threat why are they so skeptical of Europeans uniting against an islamic threat?

love of premarital sex, drinking alcohol, and having fond memories of going to church with your grandma and not really paying attention as a child is all it takes to unite people starting in Portugal and ending in Greece against the Islamic threat

What does it mean? All of Europe? Catholic and Protestant countries? Or only Romance or Germanic-speaking countries?

Is Sicily really more similar to Iceland than to Tunisia?

So the fact that most churchs think that the other church's are not only wrong, but following their teachings will make you end up in hell would not cause major divisions?

>Is Sicily really more similar to Iceland than to Tunisia?
Yes

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_culture

>So the fact that most churchs think that the other church's are not only wrong, but following their teachings will make you end up in hell would not cause major divisions?
In the current environment, no. Notice how Trump got support from Christian sects across the gauntlet.

Any discourse on terrorism that uses the phrase "western civilization" can probably be discarded as Neocon propaganda

Who are you arguing with?

I hear it from both left wing and right wing news source. A lot of lefty news talk about Trump being adverse to Western values and what not.

Because the only pan-europeons in Europe are leftist.

Sure. Whatever you say.

>architecture is civilization
*sigh* sometimes I think people don't realize how retarded they sound.

The only major Christian sect that really supported Trump were Evangelicals, and that was more due to the fact Trump was a Republican and wasn't Hillary. Evangelicalism doesn't even have a foothold in Europe. In fact, a number of Christians sects were outright hostile to Trump including the Pope, aka the leader of the largest Christian sect in Europe.

I've sometimes heard it used to describe Western Civilization having to combat Russia.

We have to save western civilization from Putin.

fortune.com/2016/11/09/donald-trump-election-2016-catholic-vote/

Europe is not the American microcosm.

>abstract definitions don't affect the cultures that use them

Who said it was? I used Trump as one example of Christians uniting across sect lines to defeat a common foe (Hillary Clinton) and you erroneously claimed the opposite happened.

>Christians uniting

Truly the globalists have won.

>posts an icon of western civilization used as an analogy for the rural English people by a western author as a reaction image reacting to the non-existance of western civilization.
WEW
this
is
a
new
FUGGIN
>level
of Post ironic ironic comedy :D

I didn't claim the opposite happened, I merely pointed that american notions of what is what when it comes to religion and politics are often different from european ones. It was a misunderstanding.

'Western' is just code-name for 'French'.

>icon of western civilization

What?

Tolkien specifically created the Hobbit and later the LOTR series as a supplement for the lacking native European mythology and history due to the cleansing of it by Christianity (no im not a varg fag, but it is true). The hobbit is basically a giant fantasy story of European mythology made real - even the creation theory "the silmarillion" took elements of the christian religion and incorporated bits and pieces of European folk beliefs in order to craft a "pure" Europe.

In the sense that the works of Tolkien are avatars of the lost history of Europe outside of influence of other nations/cultures/religions, "Frodo" can easily be argued to be the "Icon" or mascot of the purest form of "Europe"

Yes Ive spent too much time reading dumb fantasy books but this inst my opinion. there are some really good documentarys out there that state the same points made by experts in English and history.

Regardless-
its really silly to say european "western" culture doesnt exist and use a reaction image of a MAJOR PART of western culture.

#rekt

No, it's called taking a fucking sociology class you limp wristed queef eater.

Uhhh every sect of Christianity is unilaterally seeing fewer believers and less followers than at any other time in "western civilization".

>sociology
kys

Notice how more than half of all registered American voters chose Hilary?

>objectively worse
>

This literally looks a place that could easily be in Scandinavia but with different lighting from the sun, what's your fucking point?

Are you serious right now? Obviously you aren't, because that would be insanely retarded.

A sociologist definitely didn't create the best definition we have for "state" in any sense that underlies almost all modern political thought or anything...

I don't necessarily disagree, but I would be interested in hearing your reasoning

>native European mythology

Native ENGLISH mythology.

Stop lumping everybody together, no way in hell would Tolkien have wanted Frodo to represent the french.

Actually, this 'western civilization' smacks a bit of 'we wuz'ism. It lets people claim the accomplishments of other people by fabricating some pan-european identity.

t.sociology major

his imaginary strawman foe that he shall hang on the day of the rope.

>"state"
Spooky

>LoTR
>anything to do with the fucking french or spanish.
Tolkien got so buttfrustrated that the most english fairy tale was that of fucking arthur that he memed up one of the most beautiful fantasy universes ever written through the power of autism.

Are you really ignorant enough to believe western civilization is we wuz tier? A concept which began with European Christendom, switched over to the values of the Early modern era, fought commies during the Cold War and now represents a cultural sphere is very real.

>European Christendom

Christendom isn't Europe. Its just as much African and Latin American and do you even know how many Arab Christians there are?

Christendom, is anything, internationalist. Its religious globalism.

That's why I distinguished the European Christendom. I thought it was obvious I meant the one from the Middle Ages. Did you forget we're a history board?

Western civilisation is a polite term for White civilisation.

>the one from the Middle Ages. Did you forget we're a history board?

Then surely you would know Christianity existed all throughout the middle-east and North Africa all the way down to the christian kingdom of Ethiopia.

Are you ignoring the "European" distinction I specifically made for any reason besides a half-baked point about Christianity existing outside of Europe during the Middle ages? Like that point takes away the historical concept of European Christendom which was the beginning of a shared Western civilization?

and eastward to China, don't forget.

what european distinction?
Do the parts of europe like greece that followed a different creed of christianity not constitute in your definition of western civilization?

fpbp

This lady right here.

lol, you conflated Christendom with practicing Christianity, so I will correct your assertion with the actual account: Christian practice was diminished by modern society not international war.

the rust belt is Catholic and supported Trump

face it, trump had broad support across several regions excluding los angeles and new york city

I was commenting on Christendom though, not christian practice.

which is a lie since you literally claimed Christendom would hypothetically include Africa

>that map.

Great to know that Britain isn't apart of western civilization.

>Doesn't understand artistic map drawn in 14th century
kys faggit.

It would, the christian part of Africa, that is.

I suspect you don't know what Christendom is.

What's your argument? That civilizations don't exist? That Western civilization doesn't exist? If Western civilization doesn't exist but others do I'm curious as to your reasoning why. If no civilizations exist but enough believe they do to give it substance doesn't that make your point moot?

Glad you understand

your implication was that Christendom was traditional European Christendom when you suggested it was destroyed by inter European war. You got caught bullshitting.

christianhistoryinstitute.org/magazine/article/charlemagne-idea-of-christendom/
You might need this. Trying to shoehorn Congids into Christendom isn't going to fly.

Only Americans are still obssessed with meaningless abstractions like "Western civilization"

>your implication was that Christendom was traditional European Christendom

Yeah OK, I guess I meant Christendom under different contexts. Christendom including all Christians today would involve Africa, most defiantly.

Christendom as a political entity, however, did die in Europe because of war. The idea that the Pope or a protestant church being the leader of Christian Europe was no more.

Wrong again fucko. Try economics. His name is Max Weber

>christianity belongs to EUROPE AND EUROPE ONLY
Good to know that things like the syrian church or esoteric eastern sects aren't real christianity because they aren't european in nature.

We can begin defining Western civilization by observing what it isn't. Lets start with things everyone within reason can agree isn't Western Civilization.

The Sinosphere = Not Western civilization
Southeast Asia = Not Western civilization
Pre-European conquest Australia and Oceania (aboriginal Australia and indigenous Oceania) = not Western civilization
The Hindustan/Indian sphere = Not Western Civilsational
Pre-European conquest Americas = Not Western civilization.
Sub-Saharan Africa pre-European conquest = Not western Civilization

>Putting words in my mouth
Christendom as a concept was developed in Europe. If your too buttblasted to acknowledge this historic reality that's your problem.

>European Christendom

Its dead, get over it.

>Christendom as a concept was developed in Europe

A concept created in europe to include all christians globally in the same community.

Or at least just the Catholics. Depending on how you want to define it, but they exist all over the world too. It is by far NOT a Europe only idea, it is in fact specifically worldwide ideological concept.

If intelligent aliens exist, the Catholic church said they would try to convert them to Christianity. Thus Christendom would hypothetically include alien planets.

> include all christians globally
Spoiler alert: it wouldn't be european community.

But Russia is part of western civilization...

So what? I guess terrorists attacking india are attacking western civilization too by that logic.

India was part of the British empire and is today a part of the commonwealth.

So yeah, I guess India is a part of Western Civilization.

OP is a faggot, but this is just straight up cringe

>I want to defeat the globalists
>by uniting europe under MY common banner.

Yeah! We're gonna defeat globalism by uniting the world!

Nice argument, totally convinced me that Christianity is not an antiquated belief