Balkan Peninsula instead of Mesopotamia was the cradle of civilization

An unexpected furor was caused by the exhibition in New York, “The Lost World of Old Europe”, wrote the New York Times. Long before the flourishing of Greece and Rome, even earlier than the first cities in Mesopotamia and Egypt, at the downstream of Danube River lived a nation ahead of its time in trade, arts and craftsmanship.

Many American specialized issues and daily newspapers point out that, during its efflorescence the “Old European” civilization had been one of the most advanced cultures in the world. In 1972, near Varna (Bulgaria) was discovered the Varna Necropolis and its priceless Chalcolithic treasure. Also in the Durankulak complex, which is a Neolithic settlement with 1200 graves was excavated the biggest prehistoric treasure in southeast Europe.

The people on the northwest Black Sea coast were a highly developed community, its traditions merging with the heritage of the Thracian ethno-cultural community and later the Ancient Greek civilizations, the oldest of them being the Mycenaean civilization (2700-1120 BC).

Douglas Bailey from the University of San Francisco writes the following in the exhibition’s catalogue: “The ability to build, use and understand symbolic objects, defines people as such. This capability unites us – the modern people – with the Neolithic people and Paleolithic artists”. Evidence of this are the golden, copper and ceramic bracelets, figurines and dishes.

According to Michel Louis Seferiad, an anthropologist in the French National Center for Scientific Research, these items are shrouded by ancient mysteries, cults and myths. Also in these lands were discovered the oldest written signs in the world.

The discoveries of Transylvania (Romania) and around Vinča (Serbia) are approximately of the same period. In addition, even older are the symbols on a small clay dish found in the village of Gradeshnitsa (Vratsa, Bulgaria). Their age is considered to be at least 6000 years.

Other urls found in this thread:

academia.edu/8641305/High_precision_Tripolye_settlement_plans_demographic_estimations_and_settlement_organization
youtube.com/watch?v=mFVTBZl81BM
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2734288/Unearthed-Croatia-Stone-Age-Aga-Archaeologists-discover-6-500-year-old-oven-provided-cooked-food-heating-hot-water-like-modern-day-version.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel#History
mathildasanthropologyblog.wordpress.com/2009/03/12/proto-indo-european-speakers-of-the-late-tripolye-culture-as-the-inventors-of-wheeled-vehicles/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinča_symbols
ancient-origins.net/ancient-places-europe/danube-valley-civilisation-script-oldest-writing-world-001343
archaeology.about.com/od/mesopotamiaarchaeology/fl/Clay-Tokens-The-Neolithic-Seeds-of-Mesopotamian-Writing.htm
sciencemag.org/news/2016/07/worlds-first-farmers-were-surprisingly-diverse
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

In comparison we point out that the Sumerian script, until recently considered the oldest one, was created around 3100 BC. Due to the big popularity of the exhibition in the USA, now Europe also begins to notice these facts. New discoveries point out something really sensational: The Balkan area is the cradle of civilization, these lands were inhabited by a highly developed culture that is much older than the Mesopotamian civilization, says Deutsche Welle.

In his book “The mysteries of the Danube Civilization” Harald Haarmann proves that the Balkans were inhabited by the civilization that developed the first written language. Haarmann calls this culture“Old European”. It existed on the territories of modern-day Serbia, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Romania, Greece as well as parts of Ukraine and Hungary. According to archaeological discoveries, its emergence can be traced back to 7000 BC. Haarmann claims that words, which have hitherto been considered as Ancient Greek, are actually “Old European” and are still used today. Such examples are fireplace (кaминa, kamina), olive (мacлинa, maslina), ceramics (кepaмикa, ceramica) metal (мeтaл), hymn (химн) and others.

The Danube civilization arose 2000 years before that of the Sumerians.

Haarmann confirms what has long been known that the oldest gold in the world was found within the territory of modern-day Varna (Bulgaria). According to results from modern methods and techniques, it was made in 4500 BC, which means that it is 2000 years older than the famous Egyptian gold treasure.

In 1875, archaeological excavations led by the Hungarian archeologist Zsófia Torma (1840–1899) at Tordos (today Turdaș, Romania) unearthed a cache of objects inscribed with previously unknown symbols. In 1908, a similar cache was found during excavations conducted by Miloje Vasić (1869–1956) in Vinča, a suburb of Belgrade (Serbia), some 120 km from Turdaș. Later, more such fragments were found in Banjica, another part of Belgrade. Since 1875, over one hundred and fifty Vinča sites have been identified in Serbia alone, but many, including Vinča itself, have not been fully excavated.[1] Thus, the culture of the whole area is called the Vinča culture, and the symbols are often called[citation needed] the Vinča-Turdaș script.

The discovery of the Tărtăria tablets in Romania by Nicolae Vlassa in 1961 reignited the debate. Vlassa believed the inscriptions to be pictograms and other items found at the same place were subsequently carbon-dated to before 4000 BC (while the tablets themselves cannot be dated by physical or chemical methods[2]), thirteen hundred years earlier than the date he expected, and earlier even than the writing systems of the Sumerians and Minoans. However, the authenticity of these tablets is disputed.[3] To date, more than a thousand fragments with similar inscriptions have been found on various archaeological sites throughout south-eastern Europe, notably in Greece (Dispilio Tablet), Bulgaria, Romania, eastern Hungary, Moldova, and southern Ukraine.

WE

Just kidding, don't please.
It's an interesting topic because these cultures built actual planned settlements. Oldest settlements, first proto writing.
Also some interesting fish like statues.
I read somewhere that there are some things that suggest river/fish worship, i'm not sure tho.

The ucrainians hosted the most populated cities on earrth for a time with populations of 20,000 to 46,000 people Its astoundishing.

academia.edu/8641305/High_precision_Tripolye_settlement_plans_demographic_estimations_and_settlement_organization

Why didnt they continued to be relevant though?
Did PIE-steppeayyrans ruins it?

It looks as if Varna was contemporary with Vinca. I do know an archaeologist now deceased believed that those 'Old Europe' cultures had more similarities than differences say in pottery styles or settlements. The other cultures brought in were the Cucuteni, Tripol'ye, Cernavoda, Bodrogkeresztur...

>The discontinuity of the Varna, Karanovo, Vinča and Lengyel cultures in their main territories and the large scale population shifts to the north and northwest are indirect evidence of a catastrophe of such proportions that cannot be explained by possible climatic change, desertification, or epidemics. Direct evidence of the incursion of horse-riding warriors is found, not only in single burials of males under barrows, but in the emergence of a whole complex of Indo-European cultural traits. The original term for: 'Castes' in India was: 'Varna', meaning: 'Color', cognate to French: 'Vernis', and Spanish: 'Barniz' (both= Varnish).

youtube.com/watch?v=mFVTBZl81BM

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2734288/Unearthed-Croatia-Stone-Age-Aga-Archaeologists-discover-6-500-year-old-oven-provided-cooked-food-heating-hot-water-like-modern-day-version.html

I mean, I am sold. If you accept that all of these cultures are related under the umbrealla of "Danube river valley" or "old Europe," then you have:

Oldest writing/proto writing in the world: Vinca Script (used by many Old European cultures)
Oldest gold working: Varna graves
Oldest Copper working: Vinca and others
Extensive trade networks: Vinca
Separation of trades: all of old Europe
Two story Houses: vinca
Urbanization: Vinca
Stone Walls: New find in Bulgaria
Evidence of iron Smelting: New find in Croatia
Solar/Calender knowledge: Gosseck Circle and related
Social stratification: Evidenced by Varna

It is hard to see what was lacked to call this a civilization....if indeed you accept all of these cultures as related.

Add to these the discovery of the wheel. It was known that the wheel was an European discovery because the oldest previously known representations of wheel are on artefacts discovered in Europe, one from Slovenia and one from Poland, dated to 3,500 and 3,300 BCE:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel#History

Also, the Near East ancient civilisations' words for wheel seems to have their roots in the Proto-IndoEuropean words:
mathildasanthropologyblog.wordpress.com/2009/03/12/proto-indo-european-speakers-of-the-late-tripolye-culture-as-the-inventors-of-wheeled-vehicles/

A recent discovery from a site of Cucuteni Culture in Romania is an artefact with the representation of a cow on wheels, which was carbon dated to 3950-3650 BCE (read previous link).

Are Central Asians the sole people responsible for we not venturing the stars today?

damn that mongols everytime i swear

>Varna
I might be reading too much into this, but the norse earth and fertility gods the "Vanir" that got warred against be the Aesir and then subjugated /married to male aesir gods could have been etymologically connected to the word Varna, as in native gods of the defeated color people?

Yes, it looks like there is some connection there.

>In 1972, near Varna (Bulgaria) was discovered the Varna Necropolis and its priceless Chalcolithic treasure
Nice. There wasnt any info in 1950. 1900. 1800. 1700 and either. But suddenly it was "excavated". Clear job.

Question yourself, if you are an archeologist in the 50s, or the 18th century-do you explore the overgrown ruins of tropical forests,pay attention to the thousand of undiscovered temples and chambers of ancient egypt,unearth the biblical cities under levantine soil or simply what can be found in western europe due to pride and curiosity or do you go to bumfuck balkan village and expect to find something significant?

And Balkans were under Ottoman rule for a while. Or under some conflict.

Eh, I'll wait for respectable researchers to do more work.
Bulgarians, Ukranians, and Romanians are known bullshitters and I've heard that some dirt mounds are proof of a 10,000 year old civilization in Romania and such shit, really all those balkan peoples have horrible inferiority complex being the ass end of the world for millenia, so of course DEY WUZ THE CRADDLE N SHIT

Harald Haarmann is a German though.

But it has been looked at by international archaeologists.
The guy who did most of the stuff OP posted is a German.

Also, it really would have little to do with people living there now.
But there is no reason why those countries shouldn't uncover the past of the territory that they now govern.

>And I've heard that some dirt mounds are proof of a 10,000 year old civilization in Romania and such shit
Dacopats(really, that's what we call em) are legendarily good at WE WUZING(like legit hyperwar tier sometimes), but there is some proto-civ stuff around these parts of Europe(and i don't mean my country specifically. The cores of those cultures are in neighbouring countries, but they extend towards the carpathian arc)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinča_symbols
ancient-origins.net/ancient-places-europe/danube-valley-civilisation-script-oldest-writing-world-001343

That sun symbol, cute.
Also, another appearance of the Swastika. Reverse one even. This is older than Sanskrit, interesting.

if you want to call those symbols a written language, then you should count these 7500 year old clay tokens
archaeology.about.com/od/mesopotamiaarchaeology/fl/Clay-Tokens-The-Neolithic-Seeds-of-Mesopotamian-Writing.htm

It's disputable whether it's was a script or just a bunch of symbols of no particular meaning, but nevertheless it's called like it is one.
Watch the video I've posted here

I have heard of that theory before. The linguistic connection that I never knew of before makes it more intriguing.

Дepeтићy, зaштo нe cпaвaш?!

Does this mean that Bulgarians are the greatest, even better than the Romans?

On a second though, the 'r' in 'vanr' (singular form of 'vanir') is just the typical nominative ending affixed to masculine nouns -- in Proto-Germanic this 'r' would have been pronounced 'z'.

SKOPJEE...!

ITT: balkan kids trying to become relevant after 600 years of turk occupation

Why do Albanians (and other shitholes) do extreme mental gymnastics to try and show that they're really the greatest and founded western civlization?

maybe those nazi larpers weren't too far off to say that the reverse swastika was the symbol of muh ancestorz

Hehe. Bulgarian historian Rakovsky stated that all European are descendants of Bulgarians. He even found poems about great path from India to Bulgaria among local peasants.
His kill was pathetic.

What would the language of "Old Europe" aka Anatolian farmers been?
Semitic, Vasconic, Georgian?

Vasconic, why the fuck would it be Semitic or Georgian?

> The original term for: 'Castes' in India was: 'Varna', meaning: 'Color', cognate to French: 'Vernis', and Spanish: 'Barniz' (both= Varnish).
No, this is wrong. 'Varna' comes from the PIE root *welh1- 'to choose, select' and is related to English 'will', Latin 'volō'.

Vernis, barniz, and varnish go back to the name of the ancient Greek city Berenice, from where the first varnishes were sold.

Vanir likely goes back to PIE *wenh1- 'to love, desire', and is related to Latin 'Venus', Old English win/Old Norse vinr 'friend'.

There were probably many different language families.

Not really

Because these people were closely linked to Lebanon/Syria and thereabouts, having come from there.
Georgian is more of a random guess but it's still pretty close to Anatolia.

I am from Varna,Bulgaria and I've seen the Necropolis it is in the town's History museum alongside with many other objects found in this area.They keep finding things every year - but as a poor country we don't have enough money for excavation and for promoting our historical discoveries.

They werent from Syria They ultimately were from Anatolia mixed with the WHG Who had already crossed the Dardanelli strait

There is no ultimate, just points along the way.
We know that the people who brought agriculture to Ethiopia were closely related to the ones who brought it Europe and that they spoke Semitic(or specifically Hamitic) languages.

How do you know? There were many language isolates attested around ancient Anatolia and Greece.

They weren't at all, Levant farmers and Anatolian farmers were genetically very distinct groups

Nonsense. Same people.

What a fucking retard. Go read about the topic, fucking Google it

SRBI NAJSTARIJI NAROD

Levant and Anatolia back then were part of the same genetic zone. I know this for a fact.

I'm so fucking mad at you right now, dear lord

I know what I'm talking about man. They were the same people.

This isn't about us moron. Or are you a Croat shitposting?

even within anatolia there were different groups.

No since the bulgarians migrated there much later.

Are you sure?

I don't think so:

. By sequencing 1.2 million nucleotides from across each genome, the team found that early farmers of Israel and Jordan (known as the Levant) were genetically distinct from those in the Zagros Mountains, and that both populations were distinct from the western Anatolians who later spread their genes throughout Europe.

sciencemag.org/news/2016/07/worlds-first-farmers-were-surprisingly-diverse

Lebanon and Syria are halfway between Jordan and Anatolia.

They migrated from Anatolia to Syria

Why do steppe nomads always have to ruin everything?

>orthognathic, long face
>bulbous forehead
>hyperbrachycephalic
>planoccipital
>prognathistic
>prominent chin

it was Dinarics who created the Balkan civ

too early, they were probably Alpinid/Mediterranoid I2a/G2a Sardinian-like I assume, that phenotype is probably a later evolution due to the west asian introgression present in southeast Europe

Great news for Sardinians I guess. They are the only people genetically similar enough to claim that.

HOL UP SO WHAT YOU BE SAYING IZ

If they are so great, why's there only one million of them?
Checkmate'd

the Roman man be keepin us down man

Because them Romans killed us

Yuropoor trying to blame America for something.

All those ruins in Iraq were studied by Brits, Germans and the French

WE WUZ FIRST CIVILIZASHUNZ N SHIT

t. borislav cigani

they rekt farmers who replaced foragers who replaced neanderthals

BETWEEN THE TIME WHEN THE OCEANS DRANK ATLANTIS...AND THE RISE OF THE SONS OF ARYANS...

What's that thing the skeleton is holding? It looks like a pipe.

Idk man in I see your reasoning and yeah the dates and stuff check out, but I dont think a lot of people care, because such vast empires took over.

>alexander
>assyrians
>Rome
>Persia

>and I've heard that some dirt mounds are proof of a 10,000 year old civilization in Romania and such shit
Pretty sure it was Bosnian "pyramids".

Mental gymnastics: The Thread