When and why did Japan become "the culture of cute"?

When and why did Japan become "the culture of cute"?

Other urls found in this thread:

sittingonanatomicbomb.com/2010/08/27/the-true-brilliance-of-paranoia-agent-and-why-its-all-about-the-bomb/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Two bombs

Westernization and sexual revolution utterly destroyed their culture.

ayy

t. korean
It isn't a "culture of cute" nor has it been ever. Japan is a big country, Akihabara and Ken-Sama fucking shits do not represent the culture of an post-industrial nation which largely cares far more for drinking and pachinko machines than Hatsune Miku.

From the beginning of times.

Since America castrated them.

The Japanese soul died with Mishima.

The powers behind the throne of the United States decided to first demoralize the Japanese by lifting censorship laws thus leading to the creation of a large body of morally repulsive works, and then infantalize them in order to attempt to destroy their warrior spirit. This second phase is reaching its peak.

A better question would be "when and how did the West become the culture of ugly" which is post 1960.

The japanese soul died with a gay fascist bodybuilder?

This.
The culture of cute is what their teenage daughters are into. Their adult men are tough enough.
Their young men need a boost, though.

Cute is pervasive in Japan. If you don't realize that, you are either completely ignorant or a massive weeaboo who think Japan is samurais and ninja.

>topkek

>chooses a picture of someone other than Mishima to illustrate his point
>has clearly only learned about Mishima through other's posts

It's pervasive for the same reason why media which appeals to children is so pervasive in the United States: it's overwhelmingly the largest audience because parents buy huge quantities of cheap, disposable junk to occupy and distract their children.

Get away from their consumer culture and Japanese culture is decidedly conservative

Except when it's licking other guy's dicks in downtown Osaka in 1993 because I needed money.

Pederasty and homosex are the cornerstone of the warrior caste man.

80s and 90s
because of marketing

culture of kitsch*

What's wrong with cuteness worship? It's better than violence worship. I think the world would be a better place if we all took the time to notice and appreciate cute and endearing things.

if you train yourself to watch nothing but weebshit and consume only their popular presented media then you're conditioned to believe that everyone in Japan lives a 2D life.

sittingonanatomicbomb.com/2010/08/27/the-true-brilliance-of-paranoia-agent-and-why-its-all-about-the-bomb/

>“Superflat” is a complicated term. It refers to the flatness of anime and manga art, which goes back to traditional Japanese watercolors and ink pieces. Traditional Japanese art is two-dimensional, as is anime. At the same time, it refers to Hiroshima and Nagasaki’s becoming, literally, super-flattened by the bomb. At the same same time, it refers to the supposed superficiality of anime culture and its over-reliance on the cute (or “kawaii” in Japanese). Anime is superflat because it has no intellectual depth. Get it? In both Paranoia Agent and in Murakami’s work, feelings of alienation and sexuality are inappropriately channeled into anime, manga, and video games—Japanese consumer culture. And where did these bad feelings come from? From the stresses of high school entrance exams, from the stress of work in the not-so-great Japanese economy. Oh, and from BEING BOMBED

>Westernization and sexual revolution utterly improved their culture.
ftfy

Dunno, only make the world a better place.

Wow, a sensible korean for once!
Also OP, if you ever go to anywhere that is not hyper urbanized, you would notice that weeb shit is mostly urban.

t. Jap

Weebs. All this cute shit is only for teenage girls in and pedos in Japan.

t. Jap

I'm not talking about "kawaii" stuff in particular, just general nice cute things you can find anywhere. I hate how as a 'man' i'm not allowed to express the fact that i enjoy these placid and beautiful things too. Instead i'm expected to like rough and violent things.

All the violence we're constantly bombarded with by Hollywood and television is actually starting to leak into female culture too. I overheard a lady at my work once, talking to someone about how she wants to 'watch more violence', and i found it pretty disturbing. I hear girls discussing shows that i really would not have though i girl would be interested in, and these aren't teenagers either. i just hate the fact that violence is so glamorized and normalized. I'm not saying we need to do away with it all together, but i think it's dreadful that its almost become the main feature of everything we supposedly delight in watching and hearing about.

It's so absurd, because once you personally come face to face with real violence and your own mortality, the 'glamour' of it disappears pretty fast. In reality, it's painful, terrifying, cruel and can be pretty soul destroying, even surviving it.

Therefore, if the Japs want to glamorize 'cuteness', i say go for it, good for them. It's a beautiful and harmless thing.

yes.

If you still haven't realized, the reason Japanese kawaii is so well known among young people overseas is because it caters to us, who are essentially its audience. Kids, teenagers and young adults. Your average 40 year old saleryman couldn't care less about kawaii.

you couldnt be more wrong.
the average unmarried salaryman after working his ass off watches cute anime and sings karaoke.
This was my personal experience in japan. The ones who watch it wont tell you they watch anime unless you show them you do too.

What do you mean by weebshit in that post?
I've seen the word thrown around so much with different meanings I no longer understand it

Except everyone here says your wrong and your anecdotal expirence doesn't mean shit.

>sings karaoke.
Karaoke is serious business in Japan

So anecdotal evidence only means anything when it supports your viewpoint?

karaoke is awesome everywhere.
Watching big-sized tattooed construction workers singing "Night belongs to lovers" is of abstract value!

It means poster such as and said factually your wrong.

>adding 't. jap' makes you japanese and validates your statement