Today is Yukio Mishima's birthday

Today is Yukio Mishima's birthday.

Please say nice things about his physique, philosophy of heroic death, and his attempted coup d'état ITT.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bO-w-cn-pJM
hastebin.com/raw/iqusosires
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>1.55 m

He was gay.

Sun and Steel is pretty good.

>Born: 14 January 1925

today is January 14th

blue pilled: the coup failed because the garrison was not convinced the emperor should have his power restored

red pilled: the coup failed because he was 5'1''

He actually WAS NOT
gay he only went to gay bars to admire physiques in a way that's cool and straight.

People forget he had a wife, he just liked boipussi on the side

>he only went to gay bars to admire physiques in a way that's cool and straight.

Is that you Mac?

He only liked feminine cocks.

He was a great comedian.

non meme "le pill XD" answer: It was always going to be the a vehicle for a grandiose ritual suicide

This, Mishima's greatest regret was not dying honorably during WW2, the coup was from its very conception a way to kill himself without looking like a loser.

>way to kill himself without looking like a loser.
That one didn't work out.

Not at all, but that was his intention.

He really seems like a Veeky Forums type of guy but there's surprisingly little threads about him. I'm currently reading Forbidden Colors in Japanese - no homo.

well it takes balls to walk into a military base and tie the commandant to a chair while armed only with katanas

Never found his story interesting. Did he write things worth reading?

looks like japanese joe rogan.

He's one of the most lauded post-war Japanese authors and he was considered for a nobel prize. Joe Rogan is a UFC commentator.

He is great, especially when you realize the context of him being a hyper nationalist.

>closeted fascist homo kills himself because people laughed at his LARPing attempt at a coup

Good riddance.

So, you haven't read him? You just wiki'd him?

you can decide which of his works you want to read for yourself based on your own personal taste

What day do you think it is?

He wasn't a fascist and he wasn't closeted in the Western sense.

>when you have to ask your parents to make sure that your arranged marriage comes with a wife that is somehow shorter than you

I do think there's something tragically funny about a lot of his great works. The way The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea moves from an almost comedic melodrama to its disturbing moments is amazing.

Mishima fully understood that nationalism and emperor worship was a massive spook, but he decided to embrace. He was an Ubermensch.

He was just doing research for a book.

In Japan a man's presence is not determined by his statue but by the size of his heart.

Mishima is the greatest literary genius of the latter half of the 20th century.

Mishima was 100% heterosexual. He has been misappropriated by faggots just like Shakespeare.

>a homosexual
Eewww

He was a case of extreme autism. However, he still was very hot, and I definitely would.

The fake suicide thing reeks of narcissism.

back to Veeky Forums with ye

The soundtrack Philip Glass composed for his biopic is very nice. However, I've never seen the movie nor have I read any of his works.

I was surprised to find "Patriotism," the short film he directed, fully on YouTube:
youtu.be/bO-w-cn-pJM

The film really lays bare his whole lifelong obsession with samurai a e s t h e t i c. It's interesting to see how much he clearly idolizes bushido and the concept of noble noble death while also being so unashamedly an artist.

What about discussions of his philosophy? Most of Mishima's novels are heavy with themes related to his own personal beliefs and nationalist politics. He even wrote related essays like Sun and Steel.

bump

too grassy looking

So where do I start with Mishima?

>dude nationalism lmao

what makes his work so interesting? that japan is so lovely and perfect and should arm up again and fight america for the 2nd time?

>wanted to die gloriously
>faked tuberculosis to get out

explain the contradiction

he was a genius sick fuck who wrote about sick fucks.

I would recommend the temple of the golden pavilion. I think you may find The Sailor who fell from grace with the Sea too edgy/off putting.
I think he felt he wasnt ready to die because he still had many things to do in his life

he killed himself in 1970 after

-having married a woman and having offspring (even though he was most likely a homosexual)
-realizing he was not going to win the nobel prize because Kawabata got it in 1968 and they were not going to give it again to a Japanese writer soon
-finishing the tetralogy he started in 1965

after that he felt he had already done everything he was meant to do in his life, so he was ready for the performance/coup/suicide

He also had heart disease? lmao

He actually was not gay, he just liked to have sex with men and get creampied in a not homosexual way.

>faked tuberculosis to get out
I was under the impression that he was sick with something less serious, and the doctor misdiagnosed it as Tuberculosis.

He was obcessed with the aethetics of a beautiful death. It was obvious he was always going to perform seppuku

Shrader's film is great, he also produced the only english translation of Kyoko's House.

I started with Patriotism, it's very short

Happy birthday, Mishima. Sorry for being late.

>Sorry for being late.

That's okay, so is he!

I take it everyone here has read A Book of 5 Rings. It would be a better place to start since Musashi makes Yukio look like little baby (this is a nice thing to say as he makes us look like embryos).

hastebin.com/raw/iqusosires

Look up 憂國 on YouTube.

Oh my.

Book of five Rings was interesting to me from a HEMA perspective just to see what the fuss was about, but there really wasn't much substance to it.

Musashi's Way of going Alone is, IMHO, the better read. Even though or perhaps exactly because it's only a page long.

What an interesting fellow. Not heard of him before now.

>His speech was intended to inspire a coup d'état to restore the power of the emperor. He succeeded only in irritating the soldiers, and was mocked and jeered
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>fascist

Apparently not wanting to be eternally cucked by Americans who control your foreign policy and restrict your military so they can use your country as a giant military base is "fascist"

Go to bed, Chang.

that was never his goal anyway

Sun and Steel inspired me to get fit.

>manlet denial

Honestly anyone under 6'2 should be desexed.

Happy Birthday!!!