What is your favorite work of Alternate History?

What is your favorite work of Alternate History?
Bonus points for plausibility.

Other urls found in this thread:

alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/rebirth-of-an-empire-o-renascimento-de-um-império.138635/
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=809903394
goodreads.com/book/show/29966
alternatehistory.com/foralltime/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Baltic_Duchy
alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/jour-j-french-ah-comics-collection.287759/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

None of them are plausible.

Muv Luv.

>tfw you will never help National France crush the syndies and liberate the metropole

The piece called Rebirth of an Empire. It concerns a Portuguese empire at it's waning end before the Napoleonic invasion of Iberia. There is a focus on the workings of the state with less of a narrative, towards the end it get's very wankish but the journey is very plausible. It's very old at this point but if currently being rebooted.
Source: alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/rebirth-of-an-empire-o-renascimento-de-um-império.138635/

I love Germany wins WWI alt history maps.

this is kind of alternate history

and it's great

Kaiserreich is decent but there's too much "rule of cool" stupid shit.

I've been working on a Central Powers win scenario, where the POD is Italy joining the Central Powers in exchange for Tirol (thanks to a less uptight Austro-Hungarian monarchy and a bit of German strong-arming). The French are distracted by Italian operations and get BTFO at Verdun. The Russian provisional government is more desperate for a Brest-Litovsk. The war doesn't go long enough for America to join.

Redemption of Christopher Columbus

You can't say all this shit and not post sauce user

>Portuguese empire.

OP said plausable.

>Constantinople as part of Ottoman Empire

fucked up

I wanted to try to play the Ottomans in Kaiserreich, but they are absolutely not feasible. I was a bit surprised, since every other major country got a lot of stuff that allows you to at least do something with it if you're good. Not so the Ottomans. Your army isn't even big enough to handle internal revolts, you have no industry, no research and get shat on by events regularly, as if your position wasn't bad enough already.

Is the teal supposed to be germany? There is no way they had the man power to take all of that. The empire wouldn't last long.

Probably the best alternate history book out there. Alternate history by definition is unbelieveable. The best examples don't even try to be authentic and just have fun with it.

Be this retarded

Huguenot Canada.

g

is that a HOI4 mod?

>The Trastamara dinasty doesn't die out
>The comuneros win against Charles the V
>France not helping the protestants in the 30 years war
>Mexico and Spain form a commonwealth in 1821
>Britain losing the second Boer war
This are the ones that I like to think about.

>FEDERATION
>FEDERAL
>FEDERATION
>UNITED
>FEDERAL

The sign of an uncreative alt-his author

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=809903394

>alt history story

>its just "hurr what if the nazis won?!"

No i'm pretty sure it's this.

I friggin loved these books when I was younger. The only real problem was that they had to essentially stop the main plot dead in its tracks because they were reaching the point that it had diverged so much from history it was losing it's own setting.

No, It's supposed to be some kind of Imperial German led EU.

I enjoy reading the 1632 books, though the premise is wildly impossible and the books tends towards focusing on personal drama than grand geopolitics. That and I'd like to hear about its effect on the rest of the world besides Europe god damn it.
That's more a result of allowing for replayability of the series, the actually background is relatively plausible but the randomness of most of the decisions given to the ai means it usually rapidly goes off the rails.

You're a retard.
IRL countries don't go out of their way to give themselves grandiose titles unless they're third world communist tinhorn states. ei: "people's democratic worker's republic of ______

Generally they just call them selves "state of _____" or "republic of _____".
Stop being an autist.

The whole "out of place time traveler" genre started by Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court is supposed to be absurd by definition. Any theoretical time traveler to the past, assuming possible in the first place which is a huge assumption, would alter the timeline so dramatically by its sheer presence that the resulting 'modern' world would always be unrecognizable to our own.

Even on the microscopic level - you're carrying bacterium and diseases that went through decades or hundreds of years of evolution compared to where you're going. You couldn't so much as step back in time without fundamentally altering every aspect of it.

I thought The Shape of Things to Come was pretty fun.

goodreads.com/book/show/29966

Are there any other althist stories as fun as Connecticut Yankee? It's one of my favorites...

Civil War is dirtier, rebellious Southerners fight super hard, shit gets real enough that the government reorganizes into various republics, separating ethnicities out of a belief that multiculturalism breeds violence. The whole thing seems inspired by apartheid South Africa.

My biggest qualm is the independent New Orleans. That makes no sense.

I still like the idea of an Italo-German war in 1934.

How do I do one of these? I always see them here and wanted to make my own

>Italian Saudi Arabia
>Independent Mecca/Medina, Turkey and fucking Greece
>Germany to the Pacific
>Finnish Norway
>Japanese India, but free Vietnam, Thailand, Mongolia
>Australia going to Germany over Italy
>"Vichy" UK with none of its colonial possessions
>Boer meme state
>South America unchanged
>that German North America peaking in

I FUCKING HATE IT

Why do you hate it?

It lacks a theme. It's obvious the player was just blobbing into wherever he could without considering what happened to the rest of the world, hence the fugly borders.
If Italy wants to reclaim the glory of Rome, give it Greece, Turkey and Syria. If Japan wanted a Co-Prosperity Sphere, why no Mainland SE Asia or even Australia? Why keep the UK around if you're not going to use it to puppet Canada and South Africa? South America gets left alone because he couldn't be fucked.

>Independent Mecca/Medina, Turkey and fucking Greece

Their are puppet

>Australia going to Germany over Italy

Why Italy would get Australia instead of Japan?

>Boer meme state

Again puppet

>South America unchanged
Vast Majority of SA Countries are part of the Axis.

>that German North America peaking in

Unfortunately the game makes you conquer
countries that are consider a major power.

So would this be better ?

Because the game was new at the time and need some balance/work.

>keep the UK around if you're not going to use it to puppet Canada and South Africa?

The game doesn't work like that.

>Alternative history by definition is unbelievable

I'd like to interject.

History is a mutable piece of civilization. Information that was lost, sometimes incredibly important pieces we weren't even aware of, is found. Or sometimes what was once known becomes unknown, or only speculated to having existed in the first place.

History is not, and never will be rigid because of this. Even modern history, with a plethora of primary sources, evidence, and visual recordings is still capable of being shifted.

Further, I can think of many instances in which the course of history was just very narrowly changed.

Think on the assassination of Caesar.

Do we all forget that he was handed a missive that forewarned him of the attempt on his life, and it was only because he didn't read it in time that he failed to escape his assassins?

Any scenario involving this is pretty plausible, and it's one that most everyone is aware of. There are many such instances that we shouldn't so easily dismiss.

I personally place a lot of stock in Machiavelli's thoughts on Fortune. The far reaching changes that have cascaded throughout history all because of accident, or chance, or luck, is staggering in number.

Unbelievable examples might be something like Poland coming to dominate Europe after WW2 and during the reconstruction of Europe. Sure, that's an unbelievable scenario. But as I said before, there are others that are much more plausible.

>Bulgaria taking so much Greek clay
REEEEEEEEE

wrong

KR is so good but the American events are really unlikely

please explain

The Fallen London universe. Nothing else can even come close.

Fallen london is more fantasy, the surface world isn't all that different considering how reality bending stuff is in the underzee.

Agree, obviously, but I can't help feeling that, narratively, it really is the best of all possible worlds.

I mean, what good can alternate history be if you're not allowed some degree of Cthulhuoid intervention?

>le Reddit seafood monster socjus indie browsergame

wew

alternatehistory.com/foralltime/

Nothing personel kid

>I don't understand the relevance of Lovecraftian thought-fiction in contemporary philosophical debate, especially when it comes to hermeneutics and hiatoriography

W E W
E
W

>United Baltic Duchy

>United
>Baltic
>Duchy

>plausability

get da fuck outta hea

what game is that?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Baltic_Duchy

ahem...

>alternatehistory.com

Fuck off.

alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/jour-j-french-ah-comics-collection.287759/
Those french comics are pretty good

> What If the Paix d'Amiens never broke?
>England develop and international dominion built on steam, and France is running his electricity feld-Empire, using the latest discoveries of Telsa, up to the borders of the powerful China whom the shadow hand reach as far than the soon-to-be emperor by the grace of Mithra.
That's hilarious

That's a nice empire you got there.

>Latin America not under Argentine control.

You are correct, it's a shit picture.

It's missing half of them. 3 of them are in the same universe, and are pretty fun.
France had a fascist coup in the early 30s, the new government puts a lot of money on the military instead of funding the social program. When nazi Germany remilitarized the Rhineland, France curbstomped the luftwaffe on the ground by surprise and destroyed Stuttgart, compeling Poland and Austria to join. Hitler flees to South America and the winners take a share of the reich.
Some years later the french government assassinate St Exupery and blames England to start a war, which breaks out. Some french renegade manages to flee to England with the plans for the atomic bomb started by Joliot-Curie. French bomb London with a new type of submarines, which forces the US to intervene. The last book is the last stand of the french air force against the anglo-american landing, while the leaders (, Laval, Céline and Simone de Beauvoir) try to flee to Francoist Spain.
Also France built this huge ass Jeanne d'Arc statue facing England which is pretty cool.

Hearts of Iron 4

>Grand Duchy of Livonia,[2] was a state proposed by the Baltic German nobility and exiled Russian nobility[3]

>retarded meme nation proposed as a German puppet

makes sense

I read a few althist novels in English, mainly the usual Turtledove + Draka trilogy, but I mostly hate how they dumb down the setting or make it into cautionary tales fitting the author's political stance. Although a few scenarios in the Crosstime Traffic series were particularly nice to read, especially The Gladiator and In High Places.

I also made a point to collect althist books from my country, Italy. It's nice to see how the "Mussolini wins" scenarios in our books are never as bleak as Axis victory scenarios in other countries and they often depict a direct standoff with Germany. Anyway, my favorite of the bunch is this, which takes place in East Africa after Italy fought and won WWII on Allies' side, and apparently grabbed some land from Vichy France at the peace table. The backdrop is quite refreshing in that there's no intrigues or war involved, just a football tournament between the African colonies, which serves as a pretext to show daily life in the colonies, while back at home Italy faces a government crisis after Mussolini's death. I also like how, since the protagonist is a sports journalist, most of the information about the outside world trickles down to the reader in the form of press dispatches.

I get Laval, but why is Fascist France being run by a duo of left wing authors?

Sounds comfy as fuck, and reminds me of one Italian alternative history novel where travels from another dimension try and liberate communist Italy by giving them boardgames that teach them about capitalism.

Do you have a mental disability?

I thought the ides of march thing was just made up by Plutarch to make the events sound extra dramatic and supernatural?

Plutarch was writing literally two hundred years after Caesar was deified. That would be like a Polish biographer one hundred and fifty years from now claiming that John Paul II was German. There's no way he could've gotten away with falsifying something that big, when we have actual sources like Suetonius, Cassius Dio and Tacticus.

I think this series is what really got me into alt-history, and history in general. The idea of the HRE really fascinated me.

>Germany is a dick to Poland and gives Polish land to Lithuania for literally no reason.

>shafting the poles
>not a reason

>tfw alternatehistory dot com is cucked by SJW admins and community

any of you lads know a good alternative?

fuck off wiith this kiddy shit

A combination of;
Commies win the Cold War +
Man in the High Castle (communist boogaloo) +
Red Dawn

Dunno, would make for a cool setting

>Galicia
>Fl-Wal
>Stronk Bulgaria
>Butchered Austria with a chunk of Italy
>Independent Crete (Bulgarian?)

There's alternate history and then there's autism. This is autism.

1632, but no writer of Twain's wit has tackled the subject.

>Galicia
>Butchered Austria with a chunk of Italy
It's still the Austrian Empire but the Austrians gave the slavs autonomy like Hungary
>Fl-Wal
>Stronk Bulgaria
What about them?
>Independent Crete (Bulgarian?)
German.

Come on user, we all know the strawman argument is bullshit. Try not to embarrass yourself next time.

>argument

Sorry, fallacy.

Not even a fallacy, just an ad hom

Not really the point. A strawman is when someone attacks who you are rather than the argument you were proposing. You weren't proposing any arguments and the post wasn't directed at any. It was just telling you to go back to /pol/ for unironically using the word cuck. Now you know what a strawman is try not to embarrass yourself next time honey ;)

Fun fact, I wasn't the person he was replying to. It just pisses me off when people try to paint a picture of someone they know nothing of other than a couple sentences.

>I wasn't the person he was replying to
No because that was me.
>It just pisses me off when people try to paint a picture of someone they know nothing of other than a couple sentences.
You're on Veeky Forums my friend, that's something you're really gonna have to learn to deal with. And really anyone who uses the word cuck seriously is clearly not here to make any kind of valued contribution to the board.

>bacterium
Just one?

>federal republic of Germany

There is a version of it for shitty Hoi4, but what people with taste play is the Darkest Hour version.

Find a Blank version and start using the bucket command in Ms paint

Perfect Europe

>IRELAND
KILL YOURSELF

Céline was a historical fascist though. De Beauvoir I dont recall, I think she saw fascism as an emancipation tool and became a propagandist for the new goverment

Horrific

Why would Lviv be named Lemberg?

>Netherlands holding Walloons
There is no way this is not a joke