Would helmets like this ever be used in battle? If so why?

Would helmets like this ever be used in battle? If so why?

54 head armour, who wouldn't want to wear one!?

Because is 896

To stand out and identify yourself.

Whether crests like these were worn to battle is possible but I've yet to see some actual evidence.

Probably would be weared by the commander who didn't actually had to fight a lot.

makes you more aerodynamic, also lets any dragons or vikings in the vicinity know your cool

tewtons be crazy

The idea is to be easily identified by your own troops for command and protection reasons, and by the enemy so they'd more likely to subdue you and capture you for ransom rather than kill you since it signifies that you're a rich and important person.
Worth noting that the horns and other helm decorations like that were made out of dyed leather and paper, not metal.

wasn't it 58? plain great helmet has 54.

+to look fucking brutal as fuck.

>Just call me 'wenches'

Why is medieval art so crude compared to the classical art that came before it?

>this
>crude

They just employed different conventions, especially for religious reasons. Gothic artists knew of ancient techniques, and especially in sculptures they were influenced by the past. Even early Renaissance artists would blend Gothic and ancient styles.

>1289
>not putting big ass horns on your helmet

At most they would have been used for jousting. Using a helmet like that in battle would have been idiotic.

We know that the Romans went into battle with officers wearing huge crests on their helmets. Although the helmet would pose a good grip for someone who wanted to grab it, it would still be difficult. An officer or lord would have body guards around him in combat, and if someone is swinging a sword/mace at you it's unlikely that you're going to drop your weapon so you can grab their helmet.

>weared
"Worn" you dumb fucking beaner

We all known Roman officers went into battle with crests. However, there's no evidence to suggest that crests like those OP posted were used in battle. Common sense also supports this.

Also, Lords were guarded but it was an exception and not the rule. There is a long list of high ranking nobles being killed in battle.

know* point is still valid.

It wasn't. You're looking at manuscript art itt, which was mostly done by monks, priest, scribes etc. Not professional artists.

>scribes etc. Not professional artists.

>tabbard has a picture of himself on it
Gets me every time

Hilarious Bretcucks.

Don't forget, you Bretonnian scum, your people follow the commands and orders of a knifed ear High Elf tramp who lived in a swamp. All she had to do was throw a sword your way and you people glorify, pray and drop to your knees. How pathetic.

Because most of what people consider to be "medieval art" comes from manuscripts, most of which are very tiny. They appear crude and simplistic because we're looking at a zoomed in and cropped version.

A scribe is a professional writer, not necessarily an artist at the same time.

what a fucking Chad
I love it

Helmets with long protrusions are highly impractical. If a warrior were to wear such an unwieldy thing, it'd likely be to distinguish himself.

That's the thick version

>14th century
>knights still using maile as primary armor

Poles truly are disgusting

The guy said "medieval art", he didn't specify anything. Gothic art is different on purpose, and it's not very fair to denounce the artists as shit.

>Record Scratch
>Freeze Frame
> "Yup thats me. So you're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation"

Kek

Are you telling me waterlogged ladies in the fishing hole, handing out magic swords for grail quests aren't a legitimate basis for an aristocratic warrior society?

Those are some nice handles to use to throw off your balance

refer tothey detach

If you reached to try to pull them off balance youd get your fucking arm cut off or stabbed in the side.
> dumb fucking meme

>>knights still using maile as primary armor
It's based you moron.
>17th c.

You're retarded.

Because looking bad ass and having pride in your craft is timeless

Antenna for his radio

Most of it comes from books, which were written by random monks mostly without artistic ambitions or skills

>blocks your aim in third person
>increases helmet hitbox
>looks dumb as hell

shit tier

That pic is really T A N N H Ä U S E R

that helmet is so cool

solidly attached to the helm?

no. suicide, asking to break your neck.

as a mounting on top, mostly for tournament use but possibly in warfare as a creast to identify? yes, then they were used. normally made of leather or papier mache with gesso covering it.

Scaring Rhodoks

>Hey guys, i wear this helmet because it shows how rich i am! Look, this helmet shows that i'm important at the court!
>*gets shot by peasant with crossbow*

Yes.

Intimidation.

>Intimidation

"It's not the weapon, nor the armour, nor is it the years he's been training to kill people, but it's the stuffed swan on his helmet that scares me."