Ear holes in helmets

(this is a spinoff from that other helmet thread)
I've been noticing that helmets in classical Europe often had ear holes built into them, whereas medieval (let's say, post-1000AD) ones typically had the ears completely covered, oftentimes even when the helmets in question were designed to be light and unobtrusive.

Now, I'm pretty sure that in both eras people were generally rather pragmatic when it came to helmet designs, so that makes me think there's a reason behind this.
Were the weapons they were facing part of it?
The doctrine?
Did they handle signals differently?

Other urls found in this thread:

economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2017/01/medieval-memes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This seem pretty interesting OP, but i know nothing about it. Have a bump instead.

In classic europe, in war, infantries are commanded by voice, thus need for sound.

Later on, mongols showed them how to lead an army without vocalization and through flag signals/drums/etc

That's the most I could think of.

I'm gonna say that the Romans made their helmets with ear-holes because they had very strict tactics in combat so the soldiers needed to hear the shouted commands from the centurions.

>lead an army with drum noises
>somehow this eliminates the need for ear holes

Pretty much everyone used open-eared helmets back then though. Based on googling, Celtic helmets often had enlarged cheekguards that covered the ears, but there also were open eared ones. Greek helmets seem to have been predominately open-eared. Maybe the Romans got them from there.

They used visual signals, instruments and voice. The same goes for the middle ages.

For some contrast, here's a medieval bascinet. Look how sealed off the entire head is in comparison.

These did often have holes on the sides.

Mongols had nothing to do with it, and literally no impact on anyone in Europe who wasn't Hungarian or polish-who literally just adopted contemporary European tactics.

Ancient armies used trumpets as well as voice.

The medieval period has more armor in general, and you're spending more time trying to get a dagger or sword into gaps. Getting stabbed in the ear would be rather fatal.

Lolwut

Well, not as characteristic, but it was known issue with them that you don't hear a shit. So, people just got some holes punctured/drilled there themselves if they felt that it was too annoying.

You can feel drums.

The economist magazine says you guys are racist for being interested in mid-evil stuff

Sauce? Can't view the article.

Why didn't they just wear headphones under the helmet?

Surely this is a troll. Please post a link if they actually made such an article. I'd be disappointed if they did,they're generally a reputable publication.

economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2017/01/medieval-memes

'Since the September 11th attacks, the American far right has developed a fascination with the Middle Ages and the Renaissance—in particular, with the idea of the West as a united civilisation that was fending off a challenge from the East. The trend has been prodded along by the movement's discovery of its European counterparts, which have used medieval and crusader imagery since the 19th century. This is troubling to many of those who study the Middle Ages for a living.

The embrace of the medieval extends from the alt-right online forum culture that has exploded in the last few years to stodgier old-school racists. Helmeted crusaders cry out the Latin war-cry “Deus vult!” from memes circulated on Reddit and Veeky Forums.

Wow, something I don't care about.

peopl stopped growing ears in the medieval time know as the "earless period" of history

You mean people use historical narratives to justify dumb ideologies?
OH NO!

i thought people stopped growing eyes and that's why it's called the dark ages because no one could see

that too lol

haha yeah ok cool good to know man =^)

Because in smithing, the classical people had more refinement. Later in European history, it was easier to just make full plated, without the fancy ear crap.

Best I could come up with.

The sound of a voice requires a much more intelligible or pure signal. While a drum beat can be easily understood while damped amidst other noises.

The ancients valued the inspiring and persuasive powers of oration more than later people.

Its just the fashion of the time period i guess

>enlarged cheekguards
They're called piss flaps.

this
meant for

The Assyrians used piss flaps on their helmets.

>period

so why did they abandon helmets in the early stage of ww1?

Rune gilded armor

I imagine it also cuts down on the sonic impact of getting clanged in the head. Even with ear holes, helmet to helmet contact gives you one hell of a ringer in Football. Can't imagine what it would be like with metal on metal and no earhole.

Piss flaps

For ceremonial purposes

For gaming purposes

>no one figured out how to use visual signals until the mongols
no

fuck this magazine

Went full retard during the election