Normaboo here...

Normaboo here. While I consider myself a Normaboo can any anons let me know about any of the more obscure things the Normans achieved and did? Besides the obvious like conquering England ofc.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tYKPdNvH800
youtube.com/watch?v=R7SX3ulV_tk&list=PLKhsNALWkeBIiFnxPv7rsSpQBSFmfEY0O
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabula_Rogeriana)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_conquest_of_England#Governmental_systems
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Being french.

-_-

The de Hauteville family, descendants of the dirt poor but virile Tankred, a minor noble from Normandy conquered Sicily, southern Italy and Antiochia.
They where classic robber barons that buy guile, brutality and good politics beat the Byzantines, the Pope and the Saracens.
From absolute nobodies to Kings in 40 years.

Castle building.

I find the normans fascinating, they (relatively) quickly rose from a vassal state to a powerful and far-reaching kingdom.
I'd suggest you just read everything on wikipedia about them, and then do research on the events/people you find interesting

Eliminated slavery and replaced it with serfdom?

REEEEEE FUCK OFF

Normans were't French, that's revisionist French propaganda.

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

youtube.com/watch?v=tYKPdNvH800

Where did the comment I replied to go?

I rustled some mods jimmies, and I'm banned now, all my comments for the last 6 hours were site wide deleted.

I left an insightful comment about chattel slavery. But I don't like to repeat myself.

Fair enough.

>tfw I'm a dirty Pictish-Saxon man and I started dating a prime Norman woman

Norman Sicily, man. It was pretty legit. King Roger was really one of those historical rulers I think deserves a lot more fame.

I STUDIED OVER 30 STAR WARS BOOKS SO I COULD TROLL STAR WARS FAGGOTS ON /TV/ AND /POL/

MY ZEAL IS UNQUESTIONABLE

Yes they were. Viking+French. They weren't autistic about ethnicity back then, the first thing they did when they got to Normandy was interbreed with the Franks and take on their language/culture/religion without question. This is truly the power of the French vagina.

The Normans at one point were requested by the Pope to come to Italy and help fight off the Moor. They also drove the Moor from Malta and Sicily. Should you ever visit Malta, the main walls around what was the main city before the siege--Rabat-- are Norman-built walls. There's actually a pretty gud BBC documentary on them, let me see if I can find...

>interbreed with the Franks
nice memes

Here you go mate. 3 part BBC special on the Normans. They really ended up defending and building cities in just about every part of Europe over the past 1,000 years. William Duke of Normandy was actually born the illegitimate son of his father and the undertaker's daughter. He would have been known to history as "William the Bastard" had "Conquerer" not superseded that:

youtube.com/watch?v=R7SX3ulV_tk&list=PLKhsNALWkeBIiFnxPv7rsSpQBSFmfEY0O

Cheers user.

~ Niccolò Machiavelli
> The best fortress which a prince can possess is the affection of his people.

The first Norman duke was married to a Carolingian bastard daughter most likely. Only an idiot would think there wasn't heavy interbreeding going on there.

FRANKS WERE FEUDAL LORDS OVER WHO?

Irrelevant, they still banged

granted, they then basically invited the Moor back in a generation later, but that seems to have been pretty standard practice for the Normans, who seemed to almost have a fetishist for going native as quickly as possible. (See also the Hiberno-Normans in Ireland, which basically decided rather than conquering it for the kings of England decided instead to go AWOL as warlords/petty kings/tribal chiefs. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normans_in_Ireland. Yes, I'm wiki posting, but call the police, I don't give a shit.)

Norman Sicily had some really cool hybrid art and architecture and scholarly works such as the Tabula Rogeriana (en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabula_Rogeriana)

you get out!
filthy saxons (or anglos, whatever)

FUCK the normans, seriously. The norman yoke has existed on england for way too fucking long.

Northumbria is culturally INDPENDENT of the anglo-norman """culture""" of england.

richard de clare and maurice de prendergast established the irish branch of the hospitallers

I love anglo saxon culture too, but it's been gone for nearly 1000 years now..
also,
>bring about the end of slavery in saxon land and vastly increase the wealth & power of "england"
>the norman yoke

this meme seems to imply that the saxons won..

>bring about the end of slavery in saxon land
And replaced it with serfdom.

>and vastly increase the wealth & power of "england"
The institutions that made England wealthy and powerful were already in place.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_conquest_of_England#Governmental_systems

The Normans were like the mongol barbarians who conquered China and assimilated.

would you rather be a serf (who actually has rights and a degree of freedom), or be LITERALLY PROPERTY owned by your local thegn ?

tough choice..

Sicily niggers fuck off.

Normans come in two flavors, guys that conquere a shitstained foggy island off the cost of France.
And guys that conquer a civilized and sunny island off the cost of Italy.
>de Hauteville > Willy the Bastard

There was a Norman yoke because it basically apartheid in post-1066 England. The ruling class was Norman and their was no social mobility for anyone of Anglo-Saxon stock.

English slavery is overblown. The English were already into the process of phasing it out and the Normans continued the practice of selling slaves up until 1100. The Bastard even taxed it to earn some profit. The Normans had no objections buying English slaves before 1066 (especially during the Viking invasions) and AFTER William's Conquest.

English slavery by 1066 was largely voluntary because it was a means for people that were fined to pay off their debts or people too feeble minded to take care of themselves. In the previous centuries, English slavery was indeed a horrendous affair where Bristol was a thriving port of selling Anglo-Saxons and Welsh prisoners to Ireland and other parts of the world.

Anyhow, the Normans were quite possibly the biggest badasses of the 11th and 12th centuries. Their feats in Sicily and the Holy Land are the stuff of legends.

>Anyhow, the Normans were quite possibly the biggest badasses of the 11th and 12th centuries. Their feats in Sicily and the Holy Land are the stuff of legends.
This, the conquest of England was the minor feat, but because of Anglos it gets much more attention.

Still waiting.

>The institutions that made England wealthy and powerful were already in place.
Britons

Just a reminder that they sacked motherfucking Rome.

What happened to the Sicilian Normans post-Kingdom of Sicily?

Lets be honest, who hasn't sacked Rome

Rome is like that girl from college that bangs with everyone for cigs

I always thought thats England, no?

"no"

>my only regret is not killing more saxons!

bamp

Childhood is idolising the Normans
Adulthood is realising the Saxons made more sense

neither one "made more sense", to them it was simply a succession war, and although I'm kind of a normanboo, I must say that the end of anglo-saxon culture makes me sad
>tfw no more beutiful saxon helmets :'(

also from every thing I've learned, william the bastard seems like an asshole, but this was a thousand years ago and I'm sure harald was no saint either

all of this
the normans were fucking legendary, the "bastard's" invasion of england was just a small part of about 2-3 centuries of them absolutely wrecking almost everyone they came into conflict with, like other anons have said, their conquests in Italy and the holy lands (btfo byzantines and various muslims many times) are incredible
oh and they sacked rome simply because they could:
>The Sack of Rome of May 1084 was a Norman sack, the result of the pope's call for aid from the duke of Apulia, Robert Guiscard.
>After days of unending violence, the Romans rose up causing the Normans to set fire to the city. Many of the buildings of Rome were gutted on the Capitol and Palatine hills along with the area between the Colosseum and the Lateran. In the end the ravaged Roman populace succumbed to the Normans.

in england at least they made huge contributions to castle building and architecture in general.

Sicilian Norman here AMA

this.
cooperation between normans and muslims made Sicily the centre of the world.
too bad they racemixed with Swabians who genocided jews and muslims and Sicily is complete shit since then

The Normans had it easy because thanks to Tostig's retardation, the Anglo-Saxons lost a ton of fighting men at Fulford Gate and Stamford Bridge. Harold Godwinson's army did a forced march of 300 miles to catch Hardraada's troops off-guard and then had to do another forced march back to the south after hearing about the Norman landings.

And Hastings lasted throughout the day. The Anglo-Saxons weren't pushovers despite being foot-sore, tired, and depleted of quality fighting men. They managed to fend off and kill quite a few Normans before their king was killed and cohesion broke.

u wot!
only my men can race mix!
If I wasn't so busy interbreeding I'd club you to death right now!
*sigh
why did I even bother coming to this god damned island..

Maybe you orcs should've minded your own business and fucked off back to Normandy.

It's amazing how the Irish aren't as butthurt towards the Normans, seeing how it was them that established a foothold in Ireland. The Anglo-Saxons were being oppressed by their Norman and later Plantagenet overlords.

ye I didn't mean to imply that they were push overs, they were just put in an almost impossible position, like you said harald's army was severely weakened by the time they went to battle against the normans, many soldiers hadn't eaten in days and they had lost around a quarter of the army fighting the norwegians and more deserted on the march south, harald probably knew it was going to be his last stand before they even got to hastings

come on guys don't let this thread die
we need more norman vs. saxon banter on Veeky Forums

I like balanced posting.

Anyone here with a genuine interest in history who has the shekels for it should try to make plans to see the Bayeux tapestries ASAP, like this year. Best time to go is mid-late June, since due to the time difference across the channel it's light out until after 10 pm and it's overall a nice experience.
The buses don't run to d-Day beaches on Sundays thought.

Bump

>then had to do another forced march back to the south after hearing about the Norman landings.
Never happened, Godwinson pulled levies from the shires for the Norman invasion.