Architecture Thread

It's been a while since we had a good architecture thread.

Do bridges count as architecture?

>you will never live in a world where Étienne Louis Boullée got the budget to build his 18th century mega-structures
Albert Speer was a dim imitation of the true master.

>tfw the Russian Avant-garde was so enthusiastic put so much thought and effort in their plans that they eventually became unbuildable

Boullée did have some pretty cool plans tho

Is that a penis?

no, get your mind out of the gutter

It's Oikema The House of Pleasure

Boullée did have some big plans didn't he
>everything he drew was unrealistically gargantuan
>unrealistically buildable
>unrealistically seamless
Sounds like the greatest architect ever

Where is this and why is the water so green?

Katas Temple, Pakistan

idunno

Algae bloom may occur in underoxigenated waters.

Stop posting this shit. It's terrible.

>Having this shitty taste

The first one is actually really nice

>the brutalist hipster
You are a mistake.

well memd

muh favorites
they're cool

is this a gingerbread house

Will brutalism ever stop being fucking ugly?

The correct answer is "no".

>Will brutalism ever stop being fucking ugly?
What's wrong with Soviet and American brutalism? It is imposing and powerful, it looks like a powerful empire of the 20th century.

You can go run around with your aesthetics anarchist.

What's wrong with it is that it looks awful. No fine details, no care about guiding the eye, it's just bland concrete with the most basic geometry.

Plus, it really loves meaningless overhands and shit jutting out, god knows why.

Am I the only person who wants to go to Brazil just to go to Brasilia?

>What's wrong with it is that it looks awful. No fine details, no care about guiding the eye, it's just bland concrete with the most basic geometry.
That's the point. It's plain, simple and imposing. The grey concrete dullness in itself is beautiful.

Also they do a lot of fun stuff with windows

America has best architecture. Thanks consumemeism.

its so pointy

Eww these look like buildings from futuristic dystopias

This one is a courthouse. It's supposed to look evil and soul-crushing.

*vomits*

Reminds me of the house from Tenchi Muyou

Brutalism is just ugly, and it's deliberately ugly because the architects didn't give a shit about the people who had to live in them and around them. Brutalism is simply a matter of feeding the architect's ego. Imposing and powerful are the right words, actually - it imposes the architect's views on the space, and it makes the little shit feel powerful because he's is forcing other people to live with it whether they like or not.

And the more people complain, the happier the Brutalist architect is because like every troll he doesn't mind if the reaction he's getting is good or bad, just so long as he's getting people to pay attention to him. (And, honestly, this is true for architects in general because let's face the profession is littered with preening egomaniacs who don't give a shit about the people they're designing for and just got into it because putting up a big building with their name on the dedication plate is the next best thing to building a colossal statue of themselves a la Nero). But at least non-Brutalist architects don't generally /deliberately/ try to piss everyone off.

Brutalism is really just a more sophisticated version of spray painting a big cock on a wall.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the urge to push boundaries and move beyond past architectural styles. But unfortunately the people shouting loudest for change are generally the people with the least talent. And the Brutalists were no exception. So they did what most counter-culture movements do, which is instead of coming up with something new and original (because they couldn't) they just decided that everything old is bad and went from there. 19th century architects liked buildings that were aesthetically pleasing and highly embellished? Well they were all boring, bourgeois and old fashioned, so from now on everything has to be aesthetically jarring and as plain as possible. That's all their "philosophy" boils down to; all the rest is just post-hoc justifications.

No. They're bridges.

imagine going on an autist rant this long and being absolutely wrong

how embarrassing. I recommend deleting your post

Miniluv

Minitrue

Minipax

Miniplenty

struck a nerve, did I?

why does this building have a giant confession booth on the second story?

nice
garbage opinions
idk that subway ceiling looks pretty a e s t h e t i c to me.

I'm pretty sure you're trolling, but I really have to disagree with you. I think Brutalism has a lot of potential to create cityscapes that are more evocative of natural environments by providing a facsimile of natural rockfaces (especially if paired with urban planting projects).

I legitimately think this could be used to create environments that are psychologically speaking less fundamentally hostile to humans than our current mazes of steel and glass.

I'm back again and dumping more actually appealing architecture.

>idk that subway ceiling looks pretty a e s t h e t i c to me.
have you ever actually been on the D.C. metro? I picked that picture out because I was going to write a bit on Brutalist fantasy vs. Brutalist reality, but I got bored.

Anyway, that pic is brutalist fantasy - they must have chosen the place carefully, adjusted the lighting just right and framed the shot very carefully in order to take a photo that could make the D.C. metro look fit for humans.

The reality is that the D.C. metro is the most ugly, depressing space I have ever had the misfortune to find myself in. The concrete is decaying and there are often ceiling panels missing - which isn't the fault of the Transit Authority's maintenance, because you always inevitably get that with Brutalist architecture since concrete doesn't age well. Even in the parts that are reasonably intact the dim lighting doesn't make it feel 'cavern-like', or whatever it was that the architect intended. It just feels like you're stuck in a dull, depressing concrete tunnel. I'd say they should put more lighting in, except that it's so damn ugly if you made it easier to see you'd just be trading one misery for another. If you ever want to travel around an American city by mass public transport, go to boston.