What are you actually doing with you history/humanities education? Academia? Archive work? Law? Something else...

What are you actually doing with you history/humanities education? Academia? Archive work? Law? Something else? I'm hopefully going into law school at the end of the year, but I'm going to keep taking the entrance exam until I can get into a school that will actually look good. Top 20 or 30. Have the undergrad GPA for that but need higher entrance exam scores.

What about you, Veeky Forums?

Just started my archive internship this year. It's unpaid but it's deeply satisfying.

I live in a government capital with experience at a few government jobs under my belt, so I'll probably go into that once I graduate.

Have an interest in history currently as an undergrad. Also preparing for law school. I feel that my LSAT scores will be fine, I just am trying to publish as an undergrad in order to pad my applications since my GPA could be a bit better.

Have you prepared for your LSAT at all? When are you taking it? What is your current overall/major GPA?

I have a prep book that I plan to go over once academic course load lets up a bit. Not sure when I'm taking it exactly since I am facing a hiccup in my degree completion due to excessive general education requirements and poor advising by my adviser. Probably sitting on a 3.0 currently but I haven't checked since last semester's grades came in. You?

3.69 (really fucking pissed me off) overall, and probably something close to a 4.0 for my major. LSAT sadly is struggling to get out of the high 150s. Taken it twice, cutting it close for admission this year by taking again in about two weeks. Tutoring helps if you can afford it. Or just studying really hard. Really nail the logical reasoning and analytical reasoning sections.

I was told that with how high my GPA was, anything below the mid to high 160s is underselling myself but I can probably make it into my target schools as long as I'm in the 160s because of my GPA.

You'll make it, man. Have an unrelated pic.

I know I could do better but a few annoying courses and matters of circumstances lead me to where am I at present. How bad would you characterise the LSAT as? I've always been just naturally proficient at other exams I've taken in the past and all I've really had to do is digest a prep book and take a handful of practice tests to excel. The rigour of my previous studies combined with my tests scores got me to where I am today, even in the face of a more modest GPA.

I don't know you, but I wonder how rigorous your studies actually were considering you got a 3.0. I could be wrong, but I just noticed it. That is also going to really lower your chances unless you have an amazing LSAT score.

LSAT is something where you have to identify the question type and come up with an approach to each. The analytical reasoning sections are the most difficult for me. They require diagramming and thinking very much unlike what a history education would give you.

That basically seems like what I was exposed to in terms of exam preparation. Hopefully I can fill out other elements of my application as well but if not I'll figure something out. Thanks anyways.

No problem. Lots of free material out there to study with, look for actual released LSATs from the past.

Thanks. Feel free to keep me posted with any other links, ideas, and strategies you might have. I also don't mind talking about personal trajectories in general.

I achieved a congratulatory first in Modern History followed by an MPhil in Late Antique and Byzantine History. Am currently training to be a barrister.

I will always feel the 'itch' to do historical research, but I do not regret opting not to pursue a doctorate. I had to be honest with myself - and, however vulgar it may be, I know that I would rather have the chance of earning a great deal of money. Academia may have been a more 'fulfilling' pursuit in other regards - but I know I would be unhappy with the pay.

This way my hope is that I can earn decent enough money to pursue my academic interests on the side. It would be much harder to do the opposite. I feel like a sell-out occasionally, but I really do think I will be happier for it in the long run.

Oxbridge?

I did History at a very renowned University. I'm currently working for an investment bank in London. The work is ridiculously boring but it pays very nicely. When I graduated, I was offered a chance at joining the Civil Service or a Magic Circle Law firm. Maybe I've made the wrong choice but at least life is comfy.

I was laughing my ass off until I realized you said "barrister" not "barista".

I am a tax lawyer, basically a lawyer with knowledge on accounting. I do work on the application of AI in tax law, so I actually make my own job obsolete.

History helps me because the STEM-people I work with have the tendency to see the law as some 'logically sound construction' while in reality it is far, faaarrr from that. Also they can't write for shit. They are brilliant when it comes to pure abstract analytics though. In my opinion the collaboration of STEM people with more creative thinking people often leads to some very inventive solutions to problems

I work in a theater :DDD

still in education tho

>What are you actually doing with your education?

I came here to meme, not get interrogated. Yeah, I know I'm turning 26 and at that point in your life you had a family then, life is different now. Listen, I love you but I don't want to have this conversation. LEAVE ME ALONE I'LL FIGURE IT OUT

>tfw History degrees are actually respected in the UK

I might not have guns but at least I have a job

>ITT
Naracistic egos explain their fantasies and failed goals

Mom get me a Pepsi.

Filling out my GE's

well next month I'll get my degree in cultural anthropology and my life will be miserable and without any money

yeee!

We need guns to save the lives of our precious jobs.

Bachelor's or master's?

I'll be graduating next semester and will probably try for some government position, hopefully foreign office. But realistically I have no idea what to do with a cultural/social anthropology degree. Most people I know either have connections to find something unrelated or they try to get their field research financed in order to go for a doctorate.

Bachelor, but in november I'll star my master; in my country this discipline is something mostly unknown and can't give you great job opportunity; in fact, most go for doctorate to become professors or researcher and stay within university boundary

something seems to change, and it's because of increasing immigration and responses to it, such as promotion of "tradional cultures", so... I'll wait and see.

Yuro here, things are a bit different over the pond. Like said, history is actually taken seriously here but people usually end up in the field they went for in college, at least in my country. What did would be at least very uncommon and get puzzled/amazed reactions from people.

I'm currently finishing my research-oriented MA in History, working on French navy stations in colonial Indochina. Next year I'll pick up a BA in Chinese or Vietnamese and submit my finished MA project into a Ministry of Defence-sponsored national competition for young researchers, which at best would land me a scholarship and at worst would make me noticed by senpai. I'll also start planning for a future PhD and try getting a GTA position somewhere.

Meanwhile I work a shitty part-time job two days a week in a mall to pay for stuff. It's kinda boring but it pays fine and co-workers are not asses.

>French navy stations in colonial Indochina

really nice topic lad, good luck

Baguette crunchers' boat stations on an anime island getaway

Doing a bachelors degree in history, aiming for NEETdom and maybe suicide if things work out.

Off to law school after I work for the next year. I'm not satisfied with my LSAT score but that and a 3.9 overall GPA are good enough to get me into local schools.

Thanks mate

kek

What was your score and what schools are you looking into?

As a future German major, I'm planning on working in communications.

I want to get into archive work but have no idea where to start, it's fucking terrible.

Have you worked in one before, or talked with people who have? Part of my undergrad was doing an internship and the students who did archive work all hated it. I did a public history job and it was great.

Just one pepsi.

Yeah History degrees from a top 10 Uni in the UK go a long way. I'm working as a financial consultant for a Big 4 firm in my country, and my mate who I met on the course is currently a Security Consultant at an Oil firm.