What is the most fucked up ballet company and why is it the Bolshoi ballet?

What is the most fucked up ballet company and why is it the Bolshoi ballet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7emS5zGSIQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=OZE1_qhuHo0
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't know, why?

Lots of corruption, or alleged corruption.

Multiple dancers have left the company and said that the female dancers are pressured into relationships with wealthy sponsors in exchange for promotions and roles. One former prima ballerina at Bolshoi said there were informal rules where if the ballet hosted formal sponsor banquets, you were expected to attend and if a sponsor expressed interest you should sleep with him. If you didn't, during the next season you didn't get the roles you wanted or weren't sent out on tour. An American dancer claimed she was told she either needed to pay $10,000 or start a relationship with a sponsor to get the roles she wanted. Specifically she claims she was told

>Joy, you don’t have a sponsor. You need to have some kind of sponsor who can somehow sort of speak for you… There is no other way to do things in our theater now

Then there are accusations of a lot of behind-the-scenes backstabbing and politics that keep people from promotions or roles or otherwise elevating themselves in the company. This is what one dancer claims led him to attack the director by throwing acid in his face.

Essentially, allegedly, the practices of pre-Revolution Russian ballet have continued into the modern era. Most corruption in other ballet companies is related to funds being used inappropriately (see the recent Paris Ballet drama) but with Bolshoi it's more old school.

because Russians

As expected of putin's Russia.

How come the bolshoi is considerd one of the leading ballets in the world with all that shit going on?

Why the fuck is the word "Bolshoi" not translated? Bolshoi teatr literally just means "big theater".

It's like with the word "reich".

>Holy Roman EMPIRE
>German EMPIRE
>Third REICH

Ballet is Veeky Forums content m8. Please keep it were it belongs.

More like /lgbt/ content

Ballet is performing arts, which is humanities.

Yeah, sure thing Tiny Dancer

But it's referring to stuff that's going on right now. There is a 25 year rule here.

That's for the history part of the board, not humanities. The board is history and humanities, and we've had regular (if unsuccessful) ballet threads since Veeky Forums began.

>we've had regular ballet threads since Veeky Forums began

Yuck and groan and fucking barf.

Is there anything not utterly corrupted?

Fuck rich people. What the fuck is your problem?

Can't just have nice things? You have to fuck them too?

yeah, fuck putin. Russia has a long history of equality, fairness, liberty, and respect for individuals before he came into power.

Op user, have you read it? I'd be curious what the book is like. Need to see if audio is on apple or Amazon (what a world where I can get any shit movie/tv show for no shekels, but a reading of a book amazon wants almost 30 despite saving on paper, ink, picking, cover, ending, shipping, etc..)

Never made it to Moscow or got to date a Bolshoi Ballerina, nut did date a a few from the NYC Ballet (this was before than damn natalie portman movie made it fashionable).

It's definitely an adventure. Most have eating disorders, a decent number have Borderline Personality Disorder. You'll have fun..where you'd expect, esp if you re a gym fag but the drama and bullshit will drive you nuts. I don'y ,eat the way depicted in "black awn" (that were both too fat to ever make it anyway). The few gays in that who are not gay do very well.

I assume book its into the guy who threw acid and the rest? Need to add to my list, thanks.

Because they still produce technically skilled dancers, despite the corruption and drama.

It's good but not astounding, definitely a "library checkout" kind of book though. The title is misleading, it doesn't really reveal any secrets or confidential drama or "lift the curtain" on the Bolshoi ballet, it's a general history.

It discusses the acid attack and argues that the acid attack wasn't some freakishly unusual occurrence but simply an elevated version of previous violent incidents that have occurred throughout the Bolshoi's history. None quite so violent as acid attacks, but attempting to injure rivals, "professional" fans of certain dancers throwing dead cats on stage when rivals dance and so on.

Why does every ballet company have such extensive problems?

>Bolshoi going straight up Hate+
Jesus fucking Christ.

Because it's an extremely competitive and exclusive field of work, where your place in the company and your salary is depend on what roles you are given as well as your reputation. Similar to theater... if you get a certain reputation, you aren't going to advance, regardless of talent (aka what happened to Colleen Sexton).

Even without potentially corrupted directors and choreographers this would lead to problems, but when you have corruption it exacerbates everything.

>Why the fuck is the word "Bolshoi" not translated?
>Bolshoi teatr literally just means "big theater".
I'll let you figure that one out.

Is anyone going to see Bolshoi's The Sleeping Beauty streamed live in theaters on Sunday?

Here's the trailer for when a production was streamed in 2013: youtube.com/watch?v=7emS5zGSIQ4

newfriend detected

Alexei Ratmasnky's parting words about his time as the Bolshoi director (I think 2004-2008)

>The worst thing is the snobbery of this place, that "we are the best because we are the Bolshoi". That I hate. And maybe I did something intentionally or unintentionally to challenge this, by inviting guest artists, or giving them material that they had to struggle to work on, to discover their weak sides. This is the aspect they need to process here over time.

Russia in the 70s unironically had all of those things

I want to see his reconstructed Swan Lake so badly

youtube.com/watch?v=OZE1_qhuHo0

bump

I found a video of the finale, presumably the entire show is out there... somewhere