How long did real swordfights last? How did Musashi win over 100?

How long did real swordfights last? How did Musashi win over 100?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VIKMPIFJkzk
youtube.com/watch?v=1S_Q3CGqZmg&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

In battle? In tournaments? one on one? Its a broad question user

What he said. A one on one duel or tournament could be over in seconds. This is one of the few times Battle of the Nations can be a good example. Look at some of those videos and watch how explosive it is. From 0 to 100 in seconds. Roughly the same would be possible in a real medieval duel/tournament though they would be aiming at different targets with different intentions.

Battles would depend. Some were the endless slogs you see in all the movies. Others were over before the two armies actually hit each other.

Musashi played dirty and didn't give a shit.

seconds, someone usually gains the advantage in only a few "moves" or actions.

Seconds to a few minutes if it's a 1 on 1 fight.

No one knows, least of all the cosplaying dumbasses at renfair dot com.

Watch kendo matches and see how they progress. You posture for a good strike then you get it over with.
Though not representative of how one would actually fight in a real battle (you'd probably just use a bow, wouldn't you?) but it's pretty representative of how one would duel. You posture for a good strike, then you do so. Now they guy is dead or dying on the ground.

Except that in a battle, combatants are wearing armour. Your opportunities for a disabling strike are greatly reduced, and there's a good chance that a 1 on 1 in armour could go to the ground.

I already said that it was not how one would fight a real battle. Musashi did not fight battles, he fought duels. He did sport.

Real Answer: As long as it took or until it was interrupted.

Stupid Answer to a Stupid Question: 43 seconds.

sport doesn't end with someone being beaten to death. and he did have battle experience, though not as much as men a generation or two before him would have had.

Most sword fights probably would have lasted a few seconds.

>sport doesn't end with someone being beaten to death
Except sometimes it does.

>How did Musashi win over 100?
Basically, he had superpowers.

>National Geographic
>article about gender identity and shitting on genetics
>article about astronomy and units are in miles
Literally tabloid bullshit tier.

musashi was very, very, very, very good.

Most of Musashi's duels were most likely matches with wooden weapons. While there was still the chance of injury or death the goal was to beat the other guy, not necessarily kill them

You know, folks have been boxing long before there were gloves. Sport back in the day was a super bloody affair.
Musashi probably did plenty of sport with a bokuto or shinai, and probably at least a few of the duels we consider him to have won probably involved those. but when folks wanted to really win, like win win, they pulled out steel.

Most of his duels were matches with wooden weapons but they were not considered sport, they were considered a fight and being knocked out cold was not unexpected, they were still playing for keeps.

As for shinai they were invented during his lifetime but not very widespread. If you have ever been hit with a bokuto you know there is little sporting about , they can be pretty terrifying

> but they were not considered sport, they were considered a fight and being knocked out cold was not unexpected, they were still playing for keeps
Naw bud that's sport. MMA is sport, innit?

MMA is a sport with standardized rules. A match with wooden weapons was considered a duel, if you died it was you're own damn fault for picking a fight.

Well, how about cockfighting or roman Pugilatus? Is such not sport?

I will admit there ar/were blood sports that sometimes resulted in crippling or death, I was thinking more the modern idea of sport

Oh, I'm not. I'm thinking of sport the sense of a competitive game undertaken for, well, competition. In this case, the bloody sort. You know, good old fashion sporting.
I mean, yeah, what musashi did would def not meet modern standards of what a sport ought to be, beating someone up with rather heavy stick just wouldn't make the olympics these days. Not that it's not fun and competitive, I assume it is.

Not so sure about fun, but I guess it was competitive.

well, I assume it was fun for the guy not getting his ribs caved in, anyways.

>sport doesn't end with someone being beaten to death
In blood sport it does. Sword duels in Japan were very bloody affairs, but you can look back to Rome and the Gladiatorial arenas for another example. China had something similar with Wushu prize fights during the Qing Dynasty.

Anything from this fast unarmored
youtube.com/watch?v=VIKMPIFJkzk
To I'd say a few minutes but most of that would be sizing each other up etc

Around the same armored, but the fighting is just different.

Isn't kendo really shit in that matter? What counts is who hits first and it doesn't matter that opponent's weapon will hit you 0,01s later.

Wouldn't the opponents weapon stop moving in real battle when you killed him?

that looks extremely autistic.

>the second long swordfight meme
If they were dressed in armor it would take a long time, especially considering that the only way to kill them was by hitting them with a blunt object of shoving something sharp down their eye slit

youtube.com/watch?v=1S_Q3CGqZmg&feature=youtu.be

Its more akin to a wrestling match

>what is momentum

depends on if you have ragdolls enabled or diabled

Did the old Rickson trick and counted his sparring wins as real wins

>le autism buzzword

Gaps in armor
People using axes just go for where the joints in your armor are.
A blunt axe in today's modern armored fighting tournaments will for sure cause a bruise. A sharp axe will most definitely cut into you

That's from a NG documentary called Medieval Fight Book where they discuss, and re-enact, a specific medieval book about dueling with very specific techniques. Worth a watch.

Oh, and this is old-school NG, not the new "I identify as an Apache attack helicopter" NG

No, kendo is the opposite. You have to deliver a strike according to the rules for it to count in competition. While a double hit might fly there it is not considered "good kendo" in the larger sense. Most kendoka don't even consider competition the most important part of the art

I think in the narrow sense they didnt treat it as sport, unless you would also count a duel with live swords as a sport.