ITT pictures that ruin an entire civilization for you

ITT pictures that ruin an entire civilization for you.

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2013/05/14/indias-deadly-diarrhea-problem/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4367049/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Always when I see that my first thought is that it is some kind of a weapon.

I'll admit my ignorance of this meme. My best guess is that's something the Romans stuck up their butts.

Unironically better than toilet paper

Romans would wipe their asses with that and a bucket with water in it. It was a community shit sponge.

Wait for real, just water? I thought they rinsed it with vinegar

Designated shitting sponge

Yes Italian dressing assholes somehow makes it all better.

Obsessed.

They live 2000 years ago you fucking autist. This was probably the most hygenic they could get. And that's rich considering most westerners just wipe it with dry toilet paper, until the shit is in a thin enough layer to be comfortable and call it a day.

That fucking copypasta.

I personally detest the communal part.

I have no issue with the method.

this Often absent from the image of Roman toilets is the constant flowing water or the bucket of water poured into the toilet to flush the poop into the sewer. I imagine they sponges were to assist a bidet style cleansing action, at least that would have been an option.

You don't need modern technology to come up with the idea of each person having their own stick.

As a commoner in Rome you'd likely be raised in a single room with your family. You wouldn't just be used to it, being alone would seem unusual to you.

Don't care, sharing feces with others seems fucking wrong.

>. And that's rich considering most westerners just wipe it with dry toilet paper, until the shit is in a thin enough layer to be comfortable and call it a day.

Still better than muslims who wipe out the shit with theur BARE HAND and some water and then proceed to prepare kebabs with said hand

Better have your underwear touch some shit than your hands

That's a complete non-sequtor. Muslims have nothing to do with this.

Imagine you are a typical Roman commoner and you enter the toilets one day to find them empty and a clean spot just for you. Just after relaxing and getting comfortable you hear a noise and your sphincter tenses. This guy walks in with an air of urgency, already pulling his tunic up over his gut, and to your annoyance he sets his ass down directly opposite you with a clear "slap" as his cheeks make contact with the moist stone. An air of annoyance washes over you at the sight of this fat cunt intruding on your rare moment of privacy, which he apparently picks up, locking eyes with you and giving you this death stare that seems to say "do you think I give a fuck you little shit".

To your surprise he was already in the process of release and almost immediately he leans forward on his fat legs with their huge calves in an awkward squat as though he is about to pounce, air escapes the now severely strained and tense pile of meat and flab that is his corpulent body generating a perverse and unusually loud and lengthy animalistic growl. You detect something perverse about it all, something freudian and neurotic, as though this guy might be your father and this is the noise he made as he was seeding your mother's womb, the display of dominance taps into the darkest reaches of your subconscious making you feel as coy as a qt blonde germanic slave boy stripped for buyers at the market, come to think of it you remember this guy being among them that day. It almost starts to become unreal and terrifying until it stops to be replaced by the sound of semi-hard diarrhea dropping out of him and flopping onto the edge of the toilet. Then it is over, he breathes a very vivid sigh of relief and still lifting up his skirt waddles over to the cistern, giving you a friendly nod as he spreads his monstrosity of an ass and feels the water cleanse his punished anus. He mutters something about constipation and prune pudding, dries himself and leaves.

How would you feel?

Fucking kek

That's more of a cultural thing from the Indian Subcontinent that both Hindus and Muslims from the area do. It doesn't really have anything to with Muslims in general.

Reminder that some gladiator choked himself to death with one of these

I remember reading that. Never thought "Death by shitty sponge" could be put so eloquently.

eh, you'd be surprised how quickly you can adapt.

I'm an anglo, but first time I ever went to a Sauna (in Germany, where I live, and where Sauna's are mixed and 100% nude) it was also pretty weird. But you get used to it. Granted, grunting a stinky fishy turd and wiping with a piece of sponge is a bit different, but I'm sure you'd adapt.

>punished
>anus

> pictures that ruin an entire civilization for you

are they eating food off the
ground???

hey atleast it looks like they cleaned the curb by pouring some water on it first

>He doesn't know how to use the stick and sponge

As a second generation Italian immigrant, i feel a shudder crawling up my body as a distant genetic memory of this unlocks within me.

Its even worse because i enjoy wetting the tissues i use a bit sometimes

Yes, but you need sponges you fucking retard. One for every million in Rome? You'd depopulate the Adriatic floor.

you have a gift user, that story genuinely made me uncomfortable for a second

Now you understand how Europeans, Southern Cone South Americans and Japanese feel when they take vacations in America and find out you don't have bidets.

Europe isn't one entity you thick cunt

I live in a european country and nobody uses bidets

Yes.
>water from the Ganges

>You can actually see saucepans and bowels within the same picture.

>blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2013/05/14/indias-deadly-diarrhea-problem/
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4367049/

I don't think any other country pisses me off more than India.

Then Southern Europeans and French

Burgers should note a bidet is not a European drinking fountain.

>ITT pictures that ruin an entire civilization for you.

>burgers

It's not even a Burger thing man, high end homes have bidets. It's just uncultured salvages.

I think it's a scepter.

wtf I hate germany now

This makes me so glad my ancestors were some of the few in Europe to avoid the "Roman Legacy"

does the woman serving them have 5 o'clock shadow?

>as though this guy might be your father and this is the noise he made as he was seeding your mother's womb

but what about my sophisticated sanskritic culture

>public butt cleaning fountains
ew

you arent supposed to shit anywhere outside you home in the first place

wait, WHAT?

There are no public bidets, not where I live anyway.
But they are a feature on every single household.

It's called the free market dumbass. As supply of sponges diminishes the price increases so rich people have their own and poor people can either go without wiping their asses or innovate a cheaper solution.

Is this taken from JRR Martin's secret baron Harkonnen fanfic?

Public WCs are a sign of civilization. There were about 144 in Rome. You had to pay. Some had air heating in winter (hypocaust) like the termae.

The sponge, you used it, optionally wet it in a stream of water in the floor, and when you are done, you dispose of it in the lower hole of the seat, the one you used to introduce the stick to wipe your ass. Then you put the spongeless stick back in the center where a slave might put a new sponge on it.

Way worse were the piss pots that laundries had installed in every corner to collect piss (donation was free), and they later used to clean the clothing.

>poor people can either go without wiping their asses

Or maybe, just maybe, they all use the same brush when it works as a solution to a society that doesn't understand germ theory because it's path of least resistance.

Astonishing!

Where in the Koran does it say you have to use your hand???

>they all use the same brush when it works as a solution to a society that doesn't understand germ theory

>There is something horrible and disgusting that you think is normal right now because our society is too primitive to comprehend why it's terrible.

>HURRR PRIMITIVE SOCIETES R PRIMTIVE

Yeah. They dumped their shit into the streets which ranoff to the tiber they took drinking water from with lead piping.

What the fuck do you expect, retard? It's 2 AD. You invent a better solution as a first century peasant.

The black waters and the sponge would run to the Cloaca Maxima, to which the Foricae were connected.
The romans new their shit when it came to sewage.

Mechanically what differentiates the bidet from a drinking fountain?

>The black waters and the sponge would run to the Cloaca Maxima

...which then drained into the Tiber. I am familiar with how the Cloaca Maxima functioned, thank you. It was an engineering feat for its day but it doesn't mean the Romans understood germ theory.

>when u dont take ur sanitary cues from coked up rape babies

Toilet paper isn't communal

I find it difficult to believe you need to have germ theory in order to be repulsed by the idea of sharing a single ass cleaning sponge stick with everyone in your neighborhood. I'm pretty sure feces is an instinctual red flag prior to any innovations in microbial science. If it wasn't, the smell of feces wouldn't be cross-culturally unpleasant for one thing. That's an instinct signalling it's something you should be repulsed by, not a learned behavior. If these Romans really did use that thing as a communal ass wiping tool (and if I remember correctly it's not really known for certain that's what it was for; could've instead been used for cleaning the thing they were shitting into), they did so by willfully ignoring an obvious instinctual warning.

>which then drained into the Tiber
That was pretty much the end of the city, only the Aventinus area downstream from the cloaca exit. Its not like today's Rome.
Besides the water for drinking didn't came from the Tiber.

This. The function is still unclear.
The reuse meme has not been proven.

And finally, there were WCs where no sponge has been found. In Herculaneum they used cloth pieces, which would be hardly reusable.

But considering few people got a WC in its house and most people including the very rich used the foricae, I don't think they would reuse it.
And again, access to the public toilet was not free. You had to pay, so one would expect that money to be used in maintenance and maybe to buy new sponges.

>public WCs
>public water closets
>posts an open air structure

I don't know shit about history but how did pre-modern sewage systems even work?
Did they just divert rivers to run through the city or something?
How quickly was the water running? Was there times where the water wasn't flowing well enough to actually carry the sewage?

For that matter how the fuck do fountains work? I understand that water pressure exists, but don't know the physics behind it. Where all fountains below the water level to let gravity do the work.

Damn man I don't understand anything about civilization.

Nowhere and they don't.

OOOOH
DON'T BE FRESH

yeah an indian one

That fat guy is alpha as fuck.

please post it

What a time to be alive

>The culture that produced works of such immense beauty and complexity as the Mahabharata and Ramayana in its early history is reduced to eating food off of a shitsmeared sidewalk in the modern day
Sad.

Pecunia non olet.

>www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/chef-prepared-curry-after-wiping-7745790
>it doesn't happen

>a cheaper solution
That's what happened. Good job

but where is the poo in this picture?

Eating

>Is this taken from JRR Martin's secret baron Harkonnen fanfic?
kek

How does it feel that the Mesoamericans, who didn't even work iron, had superior hygienics not only to the Romans but even contemporary 176th centuary europe?

I'm French, nobody uses bidet anymore

>presumes because we found one sample of an organic instrument, we know what it's purpose is and not immediatley laughing our asses off as quackademia tells us this artifact is for wiping ones ass.

1. What evidence is here that it dates to 2000 years ago
2. How in anyway do we now hundreds of people shared it to wipe their ass.
3. How in the fuck did this wooden 2000 year old device survive to the present day?

>What species of sponge and how the fuck did it survive "2000 years" and why is it not being studied as a biological specimen?

Should've spent less time in the bath and more time working iron

They did fine without it, what with having cities on par with Constantinople and Paris population wise, better medicine, and superior waterworks technology and all

Metallurgy was pretty much the only aspect they were behind europe in, in all other respects they were on par or ahead

>They did fine without it

OOPS

>Metallurgy was pretty much the only aspect they were behind europe in

what are wheels

what is seafaring

what is human sacrifice

what are telescopes

what is the printing press and movable type

i would say they knew everybody's shit.

>what are wheels

They had wheels, they just didn't use them for transportation because they didn't have beasts of burden (which, again, begs the question what the fuck europe was doing if it built cities only as good or worse then them despite having beasts of burden and better metalworking) Not even gonna read the rest of your post, "They didn't have wheels" is a red flag for somebody who has aboslutely no idea what they are talking about.

>they just didn't use them for transportation because they didn't have beasts of burden

hello Jared Diamond

why are you so retarded?

>mesoamericans were moar advanced than the europeans who took over their entire continent from across the ocean
>hurr they all died of european diseases because they had better hygiene
>posts an old toy

Generally, it's frowned upon to eat off of your toilet like that.

racemixing

And tanning/tanneries. Yuck.

All these stuck up autists screeching about communal sponges. The problem is only in your mind. It was a healthy thing, it actually helped reduce infections in the population. We have actual medical procedures NOW where they literally put the shit from healthy people into the colon of sick people to cure them of a number of conditions. Think about that for just a goddamn moment before you start going all "Oh those stupid romans and their shit sticks"

healthy doesn't imply clean.

you were wiping your ass with other peoples ass juices on a stick.

You would be pissed if I shit in my hand and stuck it down your pants and went "DURR DURR ITS HEALTHY UR COLON HAS MY BACTERIA NOW"

Ever heard of wheelbarrows? They are pretty useful even without beasts of burden