If space mining is achieved will some people become trillionaires/quadrillionaires?

NASA planning mission to an asteroid worth $10,000 quadrillion

usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2017/01/18/nasa-planning-mission-asteroid-worth-10000-quadrillion/96709250/

sfgate.com/news/science-environment/article/NASA-to-explore-asteroid-made-of-10-000-10860219.php

Other urls found in this thread:

spacestarters.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If only investing in this was as easy as buying a shitcoin

I believe in space mining

If only we could kickstart our own mission to the asteroid and mine it.
But no talent, no investors, no intelligence, no tools. Plus imagine how everyone will try to steal away your asteroid's resources once you land back on earth. The russians, the americans, the chinese, everyone will try to bomb you and kill you.

>If only investing in this was as easy as buying a shitcoin
>I believe in space mining
This.
But none of the actors are public.
There is this new crowdfunding platform spacestarters.com/ which might be a place to watch, but their deep space industries crowdfunding failed, so there's that, even though DSI is a respected company, with some quite solid goals.
I like shitcoins as much as the next Veeky Forumsraelite, but I'd like to also bet some stuff on high risk real world use cases.

I tried to get some space thread's going a few months ago, but nothing much came out of them.

There's a few space related companies you can invest in (eg. Boeing, aerojet rocketdyne), but they are not the high-risk high-reward startups you'd want.
And in the case of aerojet, I'd assume they get really fucked if BlueOrigin suceeds with their new engines.

Realistically, let's check this out. 16 Psyche averages 3x the distance to the sun as Earth, and is moving about 10,000 miles per hour. Earth is moving about 70,000 miles per hour. Anyone who can play KSP knows you slow down to shrink an orbit, and time it right to create an intercept. So you have to slow down A BALL OF METAL OVER 100 MILES WIDE, knocking say 6000 miles per hour off its speed, then when it gets to Earth's orbital distance it will be moving much faster than Earth. Well over 100,000 miles per hour. Now you have to slow it down again so it falls into orbit around Earth instead of the sun. We could actually get the moon to do most of the work for us, now that I think of it.

But imagine if we missed. What if we bashed our moon into a bad orbit? What if we bashed 16 Psyche into Earth by mistake? Do we really need a bunch of goddamn nickel that bad on Earth?

Leave it where it is, I say. We could melt it in situ, blow it up like a glass jar and live inside it, turn it into a generation ship and head for Alpha Centauri or that Trappist system. There are better uses than just hoovering the metal out of it.

Yeah, mining metal in space and bringing it to earth is retarded, unless we get a space elevator working.
Also, on that "dreams" of getting that fabled golden asteroid:
>grab tons of gold in space
>fuck yes!
>this is worth billions and billions back on earth!
>bring to earth
>gold is now not rare anymore
>…whoops
>I can now finally get myself that golden shower I always dreamed of, for the price of a normal one

That's why DSI and that google backed thing are looking for water, to be used/sold in space (Fuel!)

Why don't we have a twopart system?
1. You launch a variety of robotic probes up to the object and get them ready for "spinning".
2.You have an orbital system deliver energy to workforce and collect mineral wires launched from the planetoid.
3. ????
4. Profit.

>golden shower
That's my fetish.

They would rather spend fuck knows how much to bring a shit tone off iron to earth to cripple the economy but cant fix poverty

Poverty is a mindset. Can pump all the money in the world into it but some people will always be fucking poor.

A smart man told me space mining would be the next industrial revolution, not so much in what it can change for the lives of people but so much more about how it has the power to create significant quantities of new money, through debt, speculation, etc.

to be fair gold isnt rare at all same with diamonds. They limit the aviable amount.

citation needed

NASAcoin

This, if you mine a fuckton of minerals why the fuck would you be so retarded that you sell all of them at once? If you control the pile theres only so much of the stuff in circulation in any case

Well, depends how you define rarity.
If you look at rare as "less of the stuff than iron", then it is fucking rare, as well as in "not a lot of the existing stock is close enough to the surface to get it".
But in absolute terms, yeah, there is a lot of gold in this universe.

crypto is 'the thing' for now and maybe and the next 10 years. beyond that, when markets have moved to the blockchain, quantum computing 3d printing, nano tech. there will be lots of emerging industries

Bull fucking shit, I'm waiting for a coin called SpaceCreds.

Did someone mention space ?

Whatever brand of social utopianism you subscribe to isn't going to fix it either.

Increasing the total energy available to mankind + genetic engineering will, though.

"There are no political solutions only technological ones."

Aerospace machinist here. Blue origin WILL succeed

They are launching a probe, not actually mining it yet. It could take a few years to get there, less if we are not waiting for gravity assists. But then, we get there, it wouldn't be until the next pass that they may even try any movement. We're talking 5 10 20 years possibly. European Space Agency took 10 years to land on a comet. Then the probe didn't work right cause we can only tell so much. We are sending a probe for better understanding, then building the miner to that knowledge; how ever that is years from now.

>Blue origin WILL succeed
I think so too, but there is no 100% certain in this game.
Aerojet could probably sell a lot of theirs, if BO has some failures in their first tests.

Yeah, the whole thing is really long term, but it would be nice if us small fish could invest some money in the hype before it "takes off" IRL

bumb for non crypto related mooning.

isn't it more likely that the price of metals would just plummet?

IF ONE FUCKING CUNT CONTROLS THE SPACE SUPPLY HE DECIDES HOW RARE IT IS FUCKNUTS

Lol.

I could fund them with my shitcoin gains.

Your capslock key seems to be broken.

But anyways:
If one fucking cunt shows that you can simply haul gold from space to earth, some cunt is going to become greedy and ruin the fun for everyone.

Now I am not going to assume that this is going to happen, I was just trying to point at the issue with the general fantasy many people seem to have when they think of spacemining.

Are asteroids PoS or PoW?
pls reply

It's all nasa lies the earth is a closed system

Lol here we go with the flat earther

Assuming we could get the asteroid back to earth orbit, you'd then have motivation to build a factory / mining complex likely inside it. Depending on the raw materials available there'd likely be high demand for products made in zero g, since metals form very differently without gravity; and you can make alloys that would normally separate here on earth (Not to mention, make much higher purity materials since you could do the final processing without the metals touching the walls of the smelting vessel)

Most pollution could be vented into space, where it'll eventually just dissipate into solar orbit. That would make the greenies happy at least.