California just voted on universal healthcare for CA residents, including undocumented immigrants

>California just voted on universal healthcare for CA residents, including undocumented immigrants
>Would cost twice as much as the state's current budget and increase state taxes by at least 15%

I've got $20k. How do I short the entire state of California?

hahaha

No way, can't be true. Or move the fuck out of here.

The bill's got a 0% chance of going anywhere, but for the sake of a thought experiment, buy Texas real estate, buy CDS's on California bonds (though you might get more play out of the similar situation in Illinois), maybe short a big California insurer or hospital owner like Kaiser Permanente.

>Americans can't imagine universal healthcare
Fascinating

Fuck California so much. I already pay $70,000 in combined federal and state income taxes and they want more?

>country that produces close to zero of the world's medical innovation can't imagine for profit medicine

Fascinating

Hearty kek

Germany here. US research just publishes a lot quantitatively, not qualitatively.

Oh we can, but most of that money's currently going towards private insurers. Flipping it over to the government necessarily means an eye-popping tax hike.

Like if the US took over your little country's healthcare system. We bought all the doctors, nurses, and MRI machines all out of the kindness of our heart. But we kicked you out of any alliances, withdrew our troops, then made you shift 4% of your GDP into defense spending.

Probably the same total dollars, but it's a relatively massive amount of spending to shift.

bottom line wouldn't change that much, just goes down a different channel. instead of private insurers, it's the government.

USA #1

>switzerland is the most free-market country in the world with the least regulation
>the US has the most

really activates the almonds

The Swiss health care system is heavily regulated and socialized.

Bottom line *in their rosy predictions* is that it wouldn't change much. But 1) Calicare couldn't run as an economy-of-scale loss-leader like Medicare does currently and 2) you're talking about millions of extra people entering the healthcare system with not a care in the world as to how much anything costs. That's a recipe for 25%+ overruns the first year alone.

We poach talent and dump an ungodly amount of money into autistically high standard research. Basically every new surgical procedure is first practiced here.

"There are no free state-provided health services" according to 3 seconds and Google

You fucking Europeans. You do not have an American population of white trash, niggers and illegals.

"There is no free state health service in Switzerland. Unlike other European countries, the Swiss healthcare system is not tax based or financed by employers but is paid for by the individual through contributions into health insurance schemes. The system is universal but it is administered by individual cantons."

So you make people save for and pay for their own healthcare

Which is exactly how it should be, Germany

And I should be fair. Because we have a "do everything it takes" approach of non-rationing combined with a complete lack of price transparency, there are far more people employed in medicine and it costs far more than it should. But that's a large fraction of the problem, not the whole picture.

Mention rates of white vs black gun crime if you really want to rile them up.

>undocumented
you mean illegal.

Now explain the significantly lower cost in dozens of countries, including Germany, where most people are on government regulated health care.

>do everything it takes

Guys I don't care about the philosophy of healthcare (btw Europeans don't have blacks and Mexicans and don't realize how big a drain they are).

I just want to know how to short California's entire economy.

>Americans can't possibly imagine not being #1 in everything
It never gets old :^)

There is a reason why California is the biggest economy in the United States.

Because of their enormous population?

illegal aliens, you mean. trespassing vermin!

That's actually part of my point. Other countries don't count premees and crack babies in their stats. The US does, and doctors here do all they can to save 28 week old fetuses/babies.

Look up stats like (race-and-income-adjusted) life expectancy or cancer survival rates. The US is the leader of the pack by a little bit.

As I said, some of the cost goes towards extravagance, some towards R&D. Diminishing marginal gains means it costs 10x for a drug that gives the patient an extra month of life. That kind of "waste".

Mostly because they get cheap Mexican labor probably. All those oranges aren't getting picked by white or black people.

i don't see how that's worse than the premium increases we see in our current system, nor do i see how california can't afford an economy of scale when several private insurers apparently can. we'd also benefit quite a bit from a healthcare system without a profit motive or the kind of confusion and overhead people experience choosing from multiple insurers. you're also assuming those millions of extra people would not contribute anything in income to the state, when that obviously would not be true. they probably are using rosy projections, but i think you're projecting doom and gloom here.

Strong agricultural base, exponential network effects growing Silicon Valley, and film-favorable weather spawning Hollywood. The state government's a poorly run basket case.

It's worse than the premium increases in the current system because companies behave differently from governments. Companies chase your dollars, government chase your votes.

Which means if this passes, 2018 sees service cuts based on what looks least bad in campaign ads in non-swing districts. 2019 sees tax hikes that drive rich people out of the state (because heaven forbid anyone tax the poor or middle class getting by on only $200k). 2020 sees provider reimbursements cut so only a patchwork of shitty doctors remain in-state. 2021 sees drug companies play hardball and, while they suck up losses for 60 million Medicare patients, don't cut sweetheart deals for Calicare's 6 million elderly. The incentives are all misaligned away from delivering the best care for the medical needs of consumers. That eats up more than the lack of a profit motive saves you.

And don't get me started on how a $20,000 a year farmworker with five diseased children pays back the $25,000 a year in medical care he costs.

But hey, it's universal coverage! For free!

I wouldn't call it poorly run we have a Republican governor running the joint.

Exactly people don't understand that California needs all those illegals to run the agriculture. A lot of people have stopped crossing the border because they don't wanna take the risk with Donald Trump as president.

The only way to get all that cheap labor is to make sure they feel that the government will not go after them.

It's all business. California doesn't want to end up being like all lot of southern states that are going bankrupt since they can't find people to work the fields even after paying 2 times the amount of minimum wage.

>land of the free

>I wouldn't call it poorly run we have a Republican governor running the joint.

Jerry Brown is...not a Republican. Not even close. Do you mean Rauner in Illinois? Cause they just got downgraded to one step above junk bond status.

>California needs all those illegals to run the agriculture

You should read more on agriculture. $10/hr brings plenty of people out of the woodwork. $15/hr starts getting you robots and shit. Ultimately though, don't forget that money isn't everything and dirt isn't magic. People make the place.

just invest in real estate in Texas, Colorado, and Washington