Is architecture from the 20th and 21st centuries mediocre/underwhelming compared to that of the past centuries?

Is architecture from the 20th and 21st centuries mediocre/underwhelming compared to that of the past centuries?

No, we just see it that way because we're used to our current architectural styles.

Nah.

While I am not a fan of abstraction in the slightest there is much merit in simple but beautiful structures. Sleek, clean skyscrapers and glass and steel frame buildings are an art unto themselves.
There is beauty in simplicity and efficiency.

There are some ridiculously ugly things today, but the building in the OP is beautiful. We sometimes don't just appreciate it because to us it is commonplace.

Yes.

yes

and most of them wouldn't even last 50 years, It literally will be gone in your lifetime

This is the main problem I have with modern architecture. So many things aren't built to last.

I am pretty sure most things built today would last very long if left alone. People just bring them down because we don't have any attachment to them.

There's still a lot of nice stuff, but there's less enthusiasm for aesthetically pleasing buildings. Overall I'd say things have just gotten much more monotonous. Everything everywhere looks the same, and even when they try to be unique they end up jarring rather than pleasing. Especially since the mid-20th century, nobody really cares about making things look good anymore. Buildings are either completely utilitarian (as most builds have always been), or they're art projects made for the artist and 'connoisseurs' rather that the people who have to live in and around them. They're detached from the local environment, atmosphere and history, sucking the life out of their surroundings.

The appearance of my own town has been completely ruined by these buildings. I especially feel bad for places like India, China and other newly industrialized countries though. It's worse in those places than anywhere else.

Like I said though, there's still some nice stuff. This is in Hungary.

To be quite fair, art deco is one of the few modern building style that manages to look good.

>Tfw no neo-art deco skyscrapers
All that glass is boring desu, we need more stone.

I present you The Fitzroy, currently under construction in NYC. Designed by Roman & Williams.

They also made 211 Elizabeth

Nigger this thing looks great

And the Viceroy Hotel, also in NYC

I know, I posted that as an example of nice stuff.

Occasionally, we make good things.
Even if the entire backdrop after the Opera is a gigantic mess of shitty looking Lego blocks.

There's many shitty buildings that are only up because they are old even if they are utter shit now and back then and an immense burden on the owners.

Its the material anons, when you build things out of stone it always look aesthetic but metallic buildings are sleek and soulless.

fun fact, my professor at uni is a partner in the company that designed this and she took part in drawing it

Todays structures are much stronger and better built

I think for the most part it is. There's too many choices for an architect to make in the post-modern world of architecture and many buildings aren't designed as well because of the styles they choose to follow.

cool hat bro

I think the enthusiasm for beautiful buildings will always remain, but it's really difficult to make truly beautiful buildings especially when there are so many other new buildings that clash with each other rather than working together

>tfw a building made nearly 100 years ago looks like a condo that could have been made today

Public art needs to be great again

I'm sick of cities paying for metal blobs