This might be a silly question but I can't help but wonder: how do modern day Jews actually feel about the holocaust...

This might be a silly question but I can't help but wonder: how do modern day Jews actually feel about the holocaust? Obviously we can all agree that it was a horrible event perpetrated by a completely different generation - but are there any Israeli Veeky Forumstorian lurkers that can share some of the general cultural sentiment Jews have? Do they still hold a grudge? It's just interesting because contrasted with African-American culture in the states, there is still resentment against the "white man" that seems to be generational.

And please don't let this thread devolve into some /pol/-tier shit, I am genuinely curious.

Only experience I have with Jews was, back when I was in high school, when one came to talk about Holocaust.

Only thing he mentioned about Holocaust was that he had forgiven the Germans. The rest was about how awesome is Jesus, his adventures as Christian missionary and singing Christian songs. Our class was like 90% atheists but we played along.

As for your question I think /int/ would be better place to ask, as there is higher concentration of Israelis and you can check the flag.

They love it. It didnt directly affect any if them negatively but they can use it for forced pity if they ever want to.

Similar to blacks and slavery in america. The only difference is that Jews are a whole lot smarter about milking it / perserving it.

I can speak about American Jews

Most Jewish Americans over a certain age either have relatives who died in the Holocaust or know many people who do. Even if you were 8 years old when the killings happened, it's terrifying to think about. Germany was also almost as Jew-friendly as America or Britain from 1880-1932 so many older Jews seriously fear that at any time American society could turn on them. This is the reason why the "We will always be outsiders" mentality still persists among a minority of Jewish folks here.

Younger Jews don't think about the holocaust too much. Literally every week some older Jewish writer makes some tearful and angry op-ed about how Jews under 50 need to spend every waking moment crying over the camps.

I'm not a Jew, but I guess my family's situation is kind of similar. Myself I am a proud Norwegian with Armenian blood and heritage on one side of the lineage, and I don't hold a grudge against any Turkish civilian. I just feel bad for the country, and I'm not a big fan of Erdogan. I would like to hear some confirmation from the Turkish state about the Armenian genocide, but if that is never to happen, I'd much rather settle for Armenians and Turks being able to find friendship again. I honestly hate all kinds of war and cultural feud, I just want people to respect eachother on the gist of their character, not their race or culture.

Though I'm getting sick of Turkish Ultranationalists on /int/ blaming "Jews and Armenian pigdogs" for everything.

Forgot to include this in my post:
My godfather is Jewish and has himself stated that him and his family, as well as most of his Jewish friends hold no grudge.

Israeli here.
Hold a grudge against Germans? No.
But relationship with them is really loaded and it can only be either very friendly like now or really bad.
Their language gives me the creeps sometimes but It would be hypocritical to hate the Germans that weren't even alive at the time. Especially that they have took historic responsibility which is admirable.
Most people have the same attitude and will be generally friendly to Germans.
Old people (80-90 year olds) can be very different about it though. Many refused to buy German cars and get triggered if someone from their family did, they never visited Germany again, some (my friends grandma for example) refuse to get any reparation money from Germany fighting with here whole family even when they really needed the money.
Almost every one here has relatives that went trough it (for me its my grandmother) and everyone have been exposed to tales of actual survivors that tell about their experiences at schools etc. So it's a really personal thing.
As an ethos the Holocaust is a very strong uniting symbol. Its considered as an antithesis to zionism and the modern Israeli. There is shame in the weakness of the exile and the way they died. Israelis would view themselves as preferring to die in battle taking half the world down with them rather than be defenseless in this way again. That's what some extreme muslim regims don't understand when they openly speak about wrasing Israel of the map and view us as weak westerners and an artificial western project. They are not going to take Jerusalem. If we loose there will be no Jerusalem. And they won't be around to enjoy their victory. We view everything as a zero sum game now. Probably rightly so.

Regarding pol, it's literally only one bat shit insane guy spouting all that nonsense

Damn...that's cold...but it makes sense

You're European I assume? I can't imagine never meeting a Jewish person and having a mostly irreligious student body

>Their language gives me the creeps sometimes but It would be hypocritical to hate the Germans that weren't even alive at the time.

What do you mean by this?

That means that irrationally hating an individual for his ethnic background is irrational and hypocritical because it would be the same emotion & world view as those who committed the Holocaust. Than the difference between me and the nazis would be only that we ''play for different teams'' and not a moral difference. It would be hypocrisy to hate Germans. Especially that they view what happened as a crime like we do. Hate comes from weaknesses and we do not feel weak or at a disadvantage. That's the difference between us and black americans who still face problems (some systemic and some self inflicted). Also, apologising has a lot of power I guess.

Yes, their language gives me the creeps. I befriended several Germans when traveling in India and they were great guys. But than one of them was angry with some Indian dude and yelled at him in German. Shit was scary like in a Holocaust movie.

Oh sorry haha

When you said their language I thought you meant their rhetoric, not literally the German language.

On a side note, do any Israeli schools teach Yiddish these days? The only person in my (American) family who speaks Yiddish is my great uncle

There are ultraortodox communities that speak it and some aficionados perhaps but mainly no. Only ashkenazim who are around 80 can speak it.

I went to a school with quite a bit of jews and had the same jewish girlfriend throughout several periods of my life. They never mentioned it. I could even make soap jokes without a problem. Then again, they were secular jews who didn't give a fuck about jews.

A Jew married into my family, and she's ruthless about using it to shout down anyone who calls her out on being a racist prick.

Apparently because you're a Jew (who doesn't actually have any extended family who went through the Holocaust, you're an American Jew from a line of American Jews) you can't be racist at all. Or some shit.

I used to date an American Jew from Texas and she never really spoke about it. I think she had a whole heap of family who died in it but it wasn't ever brought up. Not because we avoided the subject, but probably because it was 70 years ago and people have moved on.

American Jew here. In 2004, when I was 15 I went on one of these SUPER JEW ADVENTURE youth group trips to eastern europe and israel. The whole idea of the trip was to answer the question (which I hadn't asked but whatever) "why does Israel need to exist?" They do this by first taking you to Prague to show what the jewish community looked like prior to ww2, since it was the only major european jewish quarter to survive the war. Then they take you to Poland and show you the ghettos, concentration camps, and death camps, and say this is how that community was destroyed. Then they take you to Israel and say after the holocaust it was decided that instead of rebuilding the jewish community as it had been it would be better to create a jewish country where jews can look out for eachother and prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

Now that's all well and good, but I think going to the actual holocaust sites had a bigger impact on me than they intended. Having to come to terms with the true scope of it, of man's inhumanity to man in the most extreme of circumstances really made it impossible for me to continue to believe in an inherently good or caring god. I don't think anyone can say with certainty that there is no god, but if there is one he absolutely does not care what humans do to eachother. Prior to that trip I had actually been the most religious person in my family by quite a lot, but after it I found it difficult to continue to justify participating in organized religion at all.

As for the holocaust itself, I apparently had around 100 members of extended family in Poland that were wiped out during it, but obviously I never knew any of them. My great grandmother had begged them to come to america in the 30's but they refused to listen saying that Hitler is merely a german problem.

Just to continue my thoughts a bit, I don't really hold any kind of grudge against the German people, so long as they don't deny that it happened. I'm more interested in how it was allowed to happen and why, rather than laying blame on people who weren't even alive then. I have spent time in Germany and I found the germans are such nice and friendly people, you really see that if it happened there it could happen anywhere.

Though I remember I was driving around Bremerhaven one day and I noticed an open lot that had a concrete and barbed wire fence around part of it. That fence was the exact same construction as the kind I saw at Auschwitz, you see the occasional thing like that and yeah it is disturbing.

Weirdly enough a lot of American Jews of German descent are kind of Germanaboos because they have a more recent connection to the old country than most non Jewish German Americans

My girlfriend's grandpa was only 10 when he came to America but he speaks German fluently, watches German movies sometimes, and makes food associated with German Christians like schnitzel

Yes, it's very useful if you're white.

People pull out the ur the opressor thing, then you go BAM i'm a jew don't talk to me about oppression goy

The Holocaust is what made most Jews non religious. So there is no conflict between what they intended and how you felt. They are not trying to brainwash you into a specific belief. Just to make you handle what happened.

Never forget the 6 trillion who died in the holohoax.

jews are not a race
its a religion with a set of habits

our jews were mainly assimilated so it would be quite odd for them to hold a grudge against nations

they understand it was a twisted ideology they were the victim of and they usually keep silent unless something really do remind them

using holocaust as a tool is the habit of liberals, not the actual jews

your comparison is a bit off
the jews, most of them, assimilated, they wanted to be "X" nationality, with a bit of heritage, and they did well
unlike african american culture

Aye, from the little cute country in the middle.

>Obviously we can all agree that it was a horrible event
>implying

If only there were six million more.

well yeah it definitely did cause a lot of jews to become atheists, I know that

but during this trip they were repeatedly trying to sell us on becoming Israeli citizens and relocating to Jerusalem to enroll in their religious high school

Oh I see. It's just that in US jewish identity is linked with religion and in Israel less so.

>It's just that in US jewish identity is linked with religion
not as much as you might think, lots of nonreligious jews still identify with their jewish culture and heritage to some degree