Who /interesting ancestors/ here? Tell me their stories

Who /interesting ancestors/ here? Tell me their stories.

Mine are shitkicking illitierate Ukrainian peasants as far the church records go back, allow me to live vicariously through you.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Johnston_(British_Marines_officer)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Štěpán_Trochta
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Slaves.

tyvm lazy white people

My earliest ancestor was a Scottish priest who was executed for spreading Protestantism.

Eight generations back my great-great-....grandfather was some Montenegrin dude who killed someone and ran away to Serbia to escape the inevitable blood feud. But pretty much everyone was an illiterate peasant

Fuck off, nigger.

I have an ancestor who had a farm with a few hundreds of slaves.
Supposedly he suuuuper nice and didn't give the slaves physical punishments, at least that's how the story goes.
I also have literal slaves as ancestors.

I haven't taken a DNA test yet, but I'm excited to. I can trace back to the Banes (Scottish) and on a trip through Europe my aunt went into a random old church and was surprised to find an old family tree showing where my ancestor married into the Banes.

I'm supposedly related to General Lee on my father's side, and my mother's ancestors founded Arkansas? Some shit. nothing notable

My great grand father was a us senator and I'm of minor Spanish nobility from my mother's side.

kek just kidding. just illiterate coal miners from Virginia. I live in Boston now.

Someone in my family on my paternal grandfathers side was a royal blacksmith. That's about it.
90% of us have nothing interesting to say about our families. Most that do brag are just lying. Like how I almost wrote that my ancestors were vikings and also guerilla freedom fighters. Possibly true, but probably not.

>also guerilla freedom fighters
Not really all that rare if you come from certain parts of Europe given that whole WWII deal
My own grandfather wasn't a freedom fighter, but his father had his throat slit by the local fascists and he ran away into the woods, so he spent the rest of the war in hiding with the Partisans (he was just a kid, so too young to fight, though)

>Not really all that rare if you come from certain parts of Europe given that whole WWII deal
Well that's the thing, I don't come from that part of Europe. I come from Sweden. And when my area was turned swedish, the guerilla movement there was short lived, and brutally put down.

I remember learning in school about how the swedes would massacre entire villages, and leave living victims impaled on poles in the forest just to scare off possible resistance.

Also, for every found rebel, the 'village' area he came from would be forced to pay 1000 coins, which was a lot, and every tenth man was to be hanged.

why are whitebois so easily triggered

French soldiers who fought under Napoopan.
German soldiers who kicked France's ass during in 1870-1871.
Dutch sailors from like 1700 who barely survived the trip to and from Indonesia. Later became merchants, then middle class literally who's.
I don't know more than that desu.

My half-crazy grandfather's brother used to claim that he could trace our lineage back to a nobleman from Funen around 1050. I hope it's true. Also, my grandfather was in the Danish resistance movement during World War Two.

Last of the Mormon Patriarchs ---> WW2 nuclear researchers
Lithuanian-Irish Jews ---> teachers' union organizers

Somewhere down the line there was Scottish nobility.

Grandpa worked as a conductor on Tito's personal train.

I'm 80% Scottish, 10% Jewish, 7%Russian/Slavic, 2% Arabic, and 1% Central Asian.

We don't have written family records past our grandfather so I'm sure there's an interesting story in there SOMEWHERE

What I know: father's side used to be extremely wealthy and influential landowners in Northeast Texas, consisting of two powerful families who married and combined their lands. Most likely owned slaves at some point; loss of the land was due to too many kids causing the inheritance to fracture. Up until my grandmother's generation (all fucking girls goddammit) the family had managed to keep its surname intact. We have photos and established family trees of this once powerful family.

Circumstantial evidence: family surname for the longest time was Deberry, the name and title of French dukes of the lands of Berry (duh). Allegedly my line is descended from Peter Deberry, duke of Berry who was exiled from France due to being a Protestant living under a Catholic monarch, and traveled to America.

Although not as interesting, my mother's side is rife with familial murders and "accidents", although it is all her distant relatives. My maternal grandmother collected loads of newspaper clippings and articles of the murders, and I sorted them chronologically for later generations.

Oh, and not sure if it counts, but my step-father can trace his lineage back to 9th century nobles.

grandmother was a levite
grandfather went to brown
nothing interesting on my moms side

Did he ever talk about Tito? All I ever knew about Tito was from typical Americuck education "he rebelled against USSR but he wasn't freedom loving and apple pie so he sucked", while people I talked to from that region said in fact Tito was much better than the previous.

He adores Tito. However for a very non communist reason. He always stated that:
"During Tito, you could work and make money. I had two jobs, i was a highschool teacher as well. I made everything we have because of Tito. I had nothing, and now i have this apartment (where we were sitting at that moment), and i built a beautiful house just outside of the city. Nowadays you can barely find one job, and the pay is shit unless you're some sort of executive."
He also served two terms as a representative on the assembly of the city of Belgrade, but he was never into politics, and was a party member just cuz everyone was doing it.

Adolescent sex slaves from West Africa and Madagascar, bastard sons who either became wealthy or sharecroppers. Old white dudes who owned and molested their children.

Before that? Rice growers, cattle herders, probably some nobles in Africa who lost a European formed arms race.

>However for a very non communist reason.
>talks about how things were good for the everyman

Seems pretty Communist to me

French bourgeoisie, German bankers, a Scottish highlander, an Italian with ties to a crime family, an Irish trapper, and at least one native american.

idk, being an American sometimes makes it hard to keep track of all the different nationalities fucking in the background.

My paternal grandfather immigrated from the Balkans and went to engineering school in the US in the 1930's. Eventually became VP of one of the largest industrial materials corporations in the country. He also designed the hockey helmets that were the NHL industry standard in the 60's-70's. Had a seat in the Chicago board of trade. Neither him or his wife talked about their life before the US much.

Mom's side is a big family, immigrated from Prussia during a time when there were lots of revolutions going around. They owned a bakery and a pharmacy, the bakery was burned down and the pharmacy destroyed. They went to the US and opened another bakery, which would later be be burned down. Lots of teachers, lawyers, etc. Much later, my maternal grand parents owned a 3 story home that my mother almost burned down as a teenager. Almost everyone in my family smokes and I suspect this has been a longstanding tradition.

Idk much about my families going way back.

Not, for the everyman, for himself specifically.
For his opportunity to accumulate wealth and own property.
Opposed to post communist Serbia that has still not completed it's transition into a market economy. Blatant theft by the government, rampant cronyism, and remnants of communist inspired regulations (especially in regards to the job market) that keep unemployment sky high.

>family smokes
>shit burns down

Kek

If I remember correctly, I'm a direct or near direct descendant of William Pitt. My mother did a lot of research on our family tree, but not much can I remember offhand.

why are slaves so easily niggered

My ancestors from Germany and France were crusaders from what I've heard. My great great grandfather lived in Canada as a child, but ran away from home because his mother was ridiculously abusive. Eventually he made it to Pennsylvania and made a family there.

I'm from an old noble family. Earliest records go back to the 11th century (and point to a minor branch of another noble family getting their own fief), family castle was initially built in the 12th.

They pretty much did what nobles did: fight. Castle was destroyed and rebuilt a few times. They were never really famous, but if you look into primary sources you might find my family pop up once in a while. As time went on and nobility became less "those that fought", they became involved in administration and politics. Then they became relatively impoverished and went back to fighting, sometimes getting pretty far up the ranks. Revolution happened, a lot were killed, some fled. Though my direct ancestor stayed (didn't really have a choice, he was thrown in jail and they took him out because they needed qualified men to lead). Fought in the Revolutionary and Napoleonic wars, he even has his name on the Arc de Triomphe.

After that, they were socialites, politicians, diplomats (one wrote a fun book about his travels), some joined the army, usually ending up as relatively high ranking officers. To stay afloat they relied on marrying daughters of rich industrialists who wanted that sweet nobiliary particle somewhere in their family tree.

Closer to me, my great grandpa was in the cuirassiers during WW1, before they realised that charging german machine guns on horseback wasn't that effective. Wounded, became kind of an opiate addict and joined proto-fascists organisations after the war (before that they were mostly royalists). He was taken as hostage in WW2 and deported, then died of typhus in a camp. He had four sons, three were killed during the ocupation: they had mostly fascist sympathies, but they hated the Germans more than they hated commies or Jews, so they helped the Resistance. Grandpa was in the army, managed to escape to England, joined the FFF. Came back home to find the family estate burned down by retreating Germans.

U wuz kangz

>Last name is Meyer
>My paternal grandfather is Bukowina German
>Descendants were probably wealthy land owners based on name
>His father was a Austro-Hungarian medic in WWI and got an MD from the University of Vienna
>He had a PhD in Physics
>My dad broke the trend with a BS in EE
>I will rekindle the trend with a PhD in Math or Physics

My family went to college before it was cool.

>probably some nobles in Africa
WE WUZ KANGS

Slaves, slavers and creoles

I'm vaguely related to George Johnston, one of the New South Wales Marines who accompanied the first fleet to Australia, one of the leaders of the Rum Rebellion, and just an general fuck up in terms of discipline.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Johnston_(British_Marines_officer)

>they hated the Germans more than they hated commies or Jews
>Came back home to find the family estate burned down by retreating Germans
Ignore pic if your ancestors were Frankish.

The first members of my family came to California in the Donner Party. We had some minor political power in the late 19th century, various judges and state senators. Nothing too impressive. My mom's side came to California in the 1940s. My dad's childhood home was down the street from Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate's house. When Tate got murdered it spooked my grandfather so much he moved the family to Santa Barbara and he commuted to work every day, which depending on traffic can take up to 5 hours round trip. That's about it.

>ww2 refugee
>wehrmacht offizier
>gardener for the emperor

I don't even take pride in this because i'm not a cuck without personal achievement.

>Water my plants, Tyrone
>t. emperor

Only remotely interesting one desu.

My ancestors where jamaican plantation/slave owners

My father's side is an old Guild family from the city of London going back a few hundred years, then probably from Holland before that

My mother's side is from a Jacobite noble who lost all his lands and fucked off to the US

Both my great grandfather's were mason's at the same lodge

My father's lineage traces back to Austrian roots, migrated to the Netherlands during the Habsburg Netherlands period.

My mother's lineage traces back to the lowlands region since about the 1100's, and even used to be a noble family with an estate.

>Jewish
Jews are a religious group and not an ethnicity you neutron star tier moron.

My ancestors were masurian cow molesters.

Related to some HOLY.ROMAN.EMPIRE nobles bastard son.

>neutron star
That dense?

With all of those burned down bakeries they should just sell toast

isn't that always how the the story goes? Just like how everybody in mainland europe had a grandad that fought in the resistance against the Nazis.

Dense enough to collapse into a black hole.

skåne förtjänade att brinna :^)

On my mother's side I have a great-grandfather who fought for Bulgaria as an officer in the first and second Balkan wars, First world war and retired just before the second world war. Both of her parents were denied moving permits and higher education when the commies came.
All medals and such were sold by them to get a motorcycle in order to smuggle gas to the serbians in the 90s.
On my father's side I have a grand-grandfather who was murdered when the commies came because he was the mayor of the village. My grandfather was denied a moving permit and higher education and his house was defaced with "Here lived Marin - the people's traitor". He wasn't allowed to remove the graffiti until well into the 80s.

>Jews are a religious group and not an ethnicity

Where does this meme even come from? Jews don't believe it, and their are clearly discreet Jewish ethnicities (Sephardim, Ashkenazim)

On my mother's side the entire line is Anglo-Irish, including a Great Grandmother that was an Allied nurse in WW1.

On my father's side the line is Japanese and Swiss.

I'm Argentinian.
Needless to say it is a very curious mixture of nationalities.

My mother's side of the family were Communist in the Spanish Civil War that fled to France hidden inside hay carts, and eventually made it to California by 1940 for the lumber industry and the fact that NY was cold as shit. They remained members of the Communist party all through the Cold War, and my great grandad only died when he fell out of his Orange tree when he refused to pay someone to pick it for him.

They're an ethnicity for sure. The jewish groups are genetically distinct from their host populations.

I have an interesting family history I guess, but I'm still uncovering it. It's kind of given me some purpose in life because there seems to be a lot of secrecy on my father's side of the family. I'm really intrigued to know what is going on with that side of the family.

Before the revolution my ancestors were the ordinary townspeople, probably engaged in trading stuff
After the revolution my great grandfather because a physicist and a teacher. During 1929-1930 he got criticized for "right leaning" in pedagogical work.
In 1946-1949 he was a minister of education in RSFSR.
My grandfather was an engineer during WWII and got an award for arranging the building of an infantry bridge across the Oder. After WWII he was a chemist and worked on something related to artificial diamonds

Are you a big guy?

>t-true communism has never been implemented!

On my father's side, my great-great-great grandfather was a Knight Hospitaller on Malta I think, and my granfather was pretty much the "chief" of out spanish family before everyone ran away from the civil war an set up in some southamerican mudhole
On my mother's side, my great grandmother was an indian princess and my grandfather was some rich spanish fuck with tons of land that liked to ocasionally shag the natives. He was also the great-somthing grandson of the spanish painter Diego Velasques (or he said so) and had some of his paintings. Still, my mother's side decided to not take the last name and instead made one up
It's kinda of fun, since a few years ago my sister did a through and through research and lately I've been thinking of the crazy stories my ancestors could tell if any of the interesting ones were alive

Nobody likes Germans user. Even Germans hate Germans.

You have to be 18+ to post here

This is a semantic issue and part of the inherent failings of the English language. In Italian, for example, the Jewish ethnicity (ashkenazi, Sephardic, etc) is known as Hebrew. You can be a Jewish Hebrews, a Christian Hebrew, and atheistic Hebrew etc. likewise Converts would be English Jews, Italian jews and all.

As for whether Hebrew is a dinsinct ethnicity, scientist know it is. That's why European Jewish is a distinct genetic cluster.

Can trace my ancestry back to southern Italian alchemist 500 years ago.

My family was supposed to be one of the first ones to settle in the DR and became wealthy merchants.After the Haitian revolution they moved to la Habana and made a fortune selling stuff to the Confederates and the yankees.Later on they came to Spain and open a very succesful store and became one of the wealthies family in Barcelona.But this store was burnt and the family of my Grand father lost all its wealth and then just became some boring middle class people until they opened a plastic company.From my parental grand mother all the male relatives have been in the army and my great grand father became a very relevant general under Franco's rule.From my mother side all that I know is that they were Jewish converts and that they fought in the Carlist war and ascended prety quickly in the Carlist ranks until the war ended.Latee on some moved to Argentina and became wealthy but my grand father chose to stay

tfw descended from ODIN through the lines of Wessex and Ragnar

My great-great-great...grandfather is the famous MRCA of all people alive today.

>Oldest records from 15th century
>Falconers for king between 15th and late 18th century
>wealthy family (probably something to do with those falcons tho) between 18th-early 20th century
>Two of my ancestors fought in the Great War, one died, other one survived

Why dont you practise falconry?

>dad was drums for very huge band you all have heard of
>mum retired pro tennis player

>grand dad would conduct orchestras

>granma would teach people languages (she knew 5)

>great grandads family was arms producers for generations

Shame about the arms production though, his weapons killed a lot of people and it brings shame.

My uncle traced the french part of my family to Charlemagne, but I'm sure he has many descendants. The founder of my father's lowland clan was an Anglo-Danish noble named Thor the Tall.

My ancestor marched with Lee from the start of the war until he died in action at Gettysburg.

Patrilineally, my ancestors were accountants and couriers to the portuguese crown, and they used to be joos too

A bunch of Normans who invaded England and got landed for their services. Feuded with the MacDouglas family for about 500 years, helped with the Scottish revolution, fought in WW1 and 2, several wars with and for England, so on. We also got spread out in all of the Empire as diplomats and whatnot, so my family extends from the US to India to Australia. Our last family gathering at our castle in 2004 got like 10,000 people attending.

Hungarian gentry ennobled in the 13th century, German burghers and some peasants.

>communists rose to power
>falconers had to give up their livelihoods
>Grandfather found different job, never got back to falconry

Makes me feel sad, considering that we were falconers for about 5 centuries.

Mine were northern italian peasants, with the exception of a few odd clergymen dating back to the XIVth century.

They tended to have a massive streak of good luck, the peasants. One girl was adopted into a family of rich jewish businessmen and one english miller found a hundred thousand pounds laying around in the 1800s.

I have Norman blood too. Mine settled in Northumbria

You have a family crest?

Catch a falcon and get to it lad.

>One girl was adopted into a family of rich jewish businessmen
I wonder if she ritually slaughtered any young Christians boys.

My grandfather escaped Croatia to avoid communism in the 1940's. Him and a bunch of his friends decided to leave as a group and that they'd marry their girlfriends by proxy once they were in Canada.

Not only did one of his friends get shot while they were crossing the border, but he watched five more of his friends fall to their deaths as they climbed over a mountain to get to Austria.

In Austria, they spent two months learning English in a refugee camp, and then they moved across Europe to a country that wasn't landlocked and got on a boat that took them to Nova Scotia, where he married my grandmother through proxy and she moved here legally.

You can still find his name on the big plaque in the Nova Scotia Museum of Immigrants.

Well i think the nazi equivalent in this case would be "my grandad was a nazi but he helped jews"

t.cuck

nothing amazing. im south african so on my fathers side their family predates to the 1820s settlers, my paternal grandfathers father left him for rhodeisa or something. my maternal grandfather was a rich greek from athens while my maternal grandmother was abandoned by her norwegian giant whaler father and then ran from home.
the furthest my maternal lineage can be traced is to venetian jewish cloth merchants who left for greece sometime in the renaissance, meh

Great Grandad was a member of the Belgian resistance during WWII. Apparently, he was pretty nationalistic, but then ended up hating Belgium after the war.

Grandfather on my father side was a Moorish mercenary under Franco.Grandfather from the other side was a cop who deserted to immigrate to France

The tribe of my father are riffian so my ancestors should have been pirates bandits or peasants

My tribe from my mother side were expelled from Spain during the reconquista and settled in nor th Morocco

My mother's side were British Loyalists who escaped American persecution to live peacefully in Canada in the 1770's. Their main motivation, apparently, was because they were extreme monarchists and ultra-conservative.

On my father's side, a distant ancestor was a French aristocrat who owned a relatively large piece of land on an island in the Lesser Antilles. He married into the population and eventually one of his ancestors moved to Canada. I have no idea how true this is, because Caribbean people (especially black ones) tend to go full "we wuz kangs" whenever you ask about their past, but my grandmother can attest that her great-grandmother spoke French as a first language.

>Grandfather was super serb commie.
>Super commie = super atheist
>Mom goes to christian school.
>Everyone friendly, mom happy.
>Comes home from school.
>"Praise christ!" she says as she comes through the door.
>Grandpa spits out his liqour and is stunned.

not exactely ancestor though

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Štěpán_Trochta

My ancestors where rulers of ancient Egypt. Than we were dispersed to the West coast of Africa by false White Arabs (real Arabs are Black). Afterwards we were kidnapped by Whitey and forced to work in his plantations. Later we were liberated but still were segregated in tell 1960s.

tyvm lazy White people

Irish protestants who moved to the Virginian frontier in the mid-18th century. The father traveled across the mountains into Kentucky with his son in order to claim around 1774 land around modern-day Paris, Kentucky. The father traveled back to Virginia to finalize his claims and left his son there to guard his land. Apparently the son was left there alone for almost a year and only saw one other person from afar, a Shawnee Indian near the river. Both the father and his sons joined the fight against the British and the father became a captain, while the other ones were apart of local militias. The son who accompanied him to Kentucky was killed in a skirmish against the Shawnees/Brits. They all packed up and moved to Kentucky after the war and acquired hundreds of acres of land by giving the famous frontiersman Michael Stoner (close friend of Daniel Boone) a plow. They had large plantation and around 25 slaves by the beginning of the 19th century. A generation later, some of them went farther west and even to Texas, were one was killed at the Alamo.

That's about the only interesting thing about my family. We're not even sure if they were originally native Irish or Anglo-Irish because our surname could apply to either, although I do know that they belonged to the Presbyterian church when they were in Virginia, which points to an Ulster Scot background.

>royal blacksmith
That guy must have had amazing skills.

Pinoy here.
Great grandfather probably had Spanish blood on his mom's side. Him and his bro fought as guerillas in ww2. Served under an American colonel. My great grand daddy was the colonel's runner/goffer. My great grand daddy's brother assassinated Japanese collaborators in our island. Hehe.

My dad's father's lineage goes back to the Scottish highland clan Lamont, who were massacred by the Campbells so they changed their last names as disguises to simple colors, such as Gray, White, or my family name Brown. They moved to Ireland and became a line of stonemasons, and many of their works are still standing in many areas of the country.
My dad's mother is as Irish as one removed from the country can be, as her family's all recent immigrants. My great grandfather, her dad, served as a bombardier in a Flying Fortress in WWII and spent two years in POW camps during the war after he was shot down over Germany. His knowledge of German and amiable nature helped him survive one of the Long Marches in winter from one camp to another. He received word that my grandmother was born while imprisoned, and Patton's forces broke him out. He lived until 2009 so I had the pleasure of hearing stories firsthand.

My mom's mother is an old money purebred Scot from the Carolinas whose family were all loaded from agriculture, not too exciting except that one of her ancestors might have fucked a native girl.
My mother's father is where it gets interesting. His father was a Royal Navy shipman who fell off of rigging onto another sailor, surviving but killing the other bloke. As punishment, they gave him the position of being a forward artillery spotter as the Brits entered WWI, which was pretty much a death sentence as you have to station yourself beyond the front lines of the trenches. He luckily survived, and after the war he visited Canada, where he found a girl who became his wife. They moved to Colombia to proselytize to natives. My grandfather was born and raised in Columbia and fought in Vietnam for citizenship in the US. He would later return to Columbia with my grandmother and kids to continue the work his father had done as a missionary.

Interesting enough, I guess.

My ancestor fought in the american revolution. Still live on land that he got for fighting in it