Hey, Veeky Forums could anyone give me an explanation as to why Haiti is such a terrible country...

Hey, Veeky Forums could anyone give me an explanation as to why Haiti is such a terrible country? Or at least point me to a good Haitian history book that explores the reasons for the country's present state?

I mean, if it were just your typical South American shithole it would be one thing, but Haiti seems to be way below that, worse than a lot of African countries even. What went so horribly wrong?

No /pol/ answers please.

Other urls found in this thread:

andrewtarter.com/three-common-myths-about-deforestation-in-haiti/
news.vice.com/story/one-of-the-most-repeated-facts-about-deforestation-in-haiti-is-a-lie
youtube.com/watch?v=hmJLh3QCNgM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

low iq niggers

Strongman dictatorships.
On a major fault line.
Over dependence on cash crops.

The chief reason is that France fucked them over in 1825 by imposing a crushing indemnity.

It's a black country which either killed or chased out everyone that knew any skills other than menial labor. They had no intellectual capital, because they came from slaves, they had a lot of experience with the least sustainable method of farming and a lot of experience with killing people. They were basically thrown back into the neolithic with very few academics or intellectuals or merchants or magnates or anybody that could peacefully check the power of the current dictator/strong man.

>I mean, if it were just your typical South American shithole it would be one thing, but Haiti seems to be way below that, worse than a lot of African countries even. What went so horribly wrong?

Other South American nations don't have the same racial make up (except for Guyana that's just as shittty)

Non-troll answer? 1 word: embargo. The US embargoed them for decades, and also is right. It's pretty hard to get a nation up and running when your economy is unworkable from day 1.

Although I'm not a /pol/fag, I also do believe in generational trauma. If you have a society where shit is bad, some tough-ass scary motherfuckers are gonna' come to the fore and run shit. After decades of post-independence squalor and violence, not to mention the collective trauma of centuries of slavery, you've essentially made a soft selection for the most brutal folk in every generation, until it accounts for most kids. It's probably a lot of epigenetic shit, but it can lead to a near-unrecoverable tailspin for isolated populations.

Revolutions podcast did the Haitian Revolution.

It's interesting but long. The last episode covers up to today in an hour though.

Basically

> no culture of governance or civil society left after years of revolution + most residents being slave

> no national identity post revolution

> embargoes

> crippling debt

> deforestation

> tropical illness

> sugar lost a lot of it's value in the 20th century

F'ken whitey keepin' the black man down!!

I'd blame the genocide.

It made the newborn country a pariah and ensured that the French would come back for round 2 (wihch happened and ruined Haiti for generations).

I can't help but wonder how Haiti would have turned out had Dessalines died and Louverture died.

-Insufficient educated population around to build something.

-No viable infrastructure since the French built it as a giant slave plantation (with negative population growth) and nothing else. A lot of the infrastructure they use TODAY was built by the Americans back during the occupations of the early 20th century.

-Its terrible starting position was even further reduced by the brutality of the Haitian Revolution, where the French killed literally half the island'a black population and devastated the countryside.

-Up until as late as 1949, they were still paying "reparations" to France for their citizens' "lost property". The US paid some of it, but this still accounted for an actually noticeable percentage of Haiti's tiny GDP that could have gone to literally anything else.

In short: the French are/were extremely shifty even by colonial standards.

>-No viable infrastructure since the French built it as a giant slave plantation (with negative population growth) and nothing else. A lot of the infrastructure they use TODAY was built by the Americans back during the occupations of the early 20th century.

Amazing how it has to be the French or the Americans who must build the infrastructure, like the noggers are literal animals who can't do shit themselves
The unaware internalized racism of leftards is hilarous

>where the French killed literally half the island'a black population and devastated the countryside.

Don't lie too hard, negrito
The countriside was perfectly fine when the French left, it's the retarded nog country management that devasted it during the 19th century

*had Dessalines died and Louverture lived

The Haitian revolution killed most of the white upper class, causing a massive indemnity from the other powers at the time.

On top of that the now freed slaves had now idea to to run the economy or agriculture and destroyed their crops within a couple of years, making them destitute in a harsh, disease ridden environment.

Basically they fucked everything up and created so much ill will, nobody wanted to help. Now it's just a cycle of corruption.

>no /pol/ answers please

What's the difference between Haiti and most other Latin American nations? What's the difference between Haiti and their direct neighbor, even?

satan worship. they sold their collective souls to the devil iirc

It is a matter of well-documented historical fact that the nation of Haiti was dedicated to Satan 200 years ago. On August 14, 1791, a group of houngans (voodoo priests), led by a former slave houngan named Boukman, made a pact with the Devil at a place called Bois-Caiman. All present vowed to exterminate all of the white Frenchmen on the island. They sacrificed a black pig in a voodoo ritual at which hundreds of slaves drank the pig’s blood. In this ritual, Boukman asked Satan for his help in liberating Haiti from the French. In exchange, the voodoo priests offered to give the country to Satan for 200 years and swore to serve him. On January 1, 1804, the nation of Haiti was born and thus began a new demonic tyranny.

Someone should tell them that their 200 years is up.

>What is the republic of Barbados

A shitty, tiny country that benefits from decent tourist revenue

It's a barren rock that gets levelled by hurricanes twice a year. Also niggers

Meme, they destroyed their ability to generate an export croo in the years prop.

I'll see you in the gas chambers, friend!

>thinks after 200 years of satanic rule the country will miraculously become amazing
That's where your wrong, kiddo.

There is no Devil in Voodun you pink fool.

christians think everything that isn't christian is devil worship, haven't you been on Veeky Forums long enough yet?

actually taking the time to study these religions and refute them on a higher level beyond just aimless COONNNVVEERTTT OR BURRRN shitposts is beyond these dipshits

can fags please stay on /pol/

this desu

There's nothing but demons in voodoo.

I cited the devil worshiping act that started Haiti down the path to hell.

Here

Voodoo is a nigger faith. I wouldn't be surprised if low IQ niggers made a pact with the devil just because voodoo is a syncretic religion between glorious European and lowly nigger faiths.

I am sorry the truth is /pol/.

Niggers.

France actually gave no fuck about the whites. They only wanted the island.

This user has it right, the only thing I would add to this is that their economy (export wise) was only profitable with slave labour which lead to some nasty pusedo slaverly afterwards which brought the associated problems

>Rape and kill all white people in Haiti including children
>WTF France be embargoing us

>deforestation
This one is often downplayed but it seriously is a big issue.

>They sacrificed a black pig in a voodoo ritual at which hundreds of slaves drank the pig’s blood

Why not choose a white one?

It's a consequence of their intellectual inferiority, not a cause

Who do you think lives in the Dominican Republic

Took place during and after the restoration of slavery in Guadeloupe, the imprisonment of L'Ouverture, and soldiers actively trying to put down black rebels in Haiti.
Seems like France would have embargoed no matter the outcome.

Dominicans.

You think you're a funny guy, eh?

are you of the opinion that racial mixing is in even distribution

I'm not a practitioner. But obviously it seems to be the opposite of a kosher spotless white lamb.

Not the same race as in Haiti

mulattoes tho
they simply took the place of the white

Dessalines. Turns out Genocide, however limited, does not make you popular, and does make you the embargo-bitch of the USA. Dessalines set about deforesting his patch of land, severing diplomatic relations and establishing a structure of Strongman dictators.

Imagine what a nice country Haiti could have been without the revolution.

>Afro-French culture like New Orleans
>mulatto qts everywhere
>great tourism industry
>still an agricultural powerhouse

It may even have remained a French colony to this day, like Guadaloupe and Martinique, and absorbed the Dominican Republic this way.

They got fucked up hard.

Who does Brazil think they are fooling in that pic?

actually dont listen to these fags. Haitianon here
Haiti was well off before the revolution, in fact it was the richest colony in the world , had a BIGGER GNP than the Thirteen Colonies till the end of the XVIIIth century, but it also had the highest slaves mortality. Haiti has a lot of mountains, and so it is in a sense surprising that it even culminated as the producer of something like one third of the wold production of sugar and of coffee, and a similar proportion for indigo

the french revolution happened, and the legislators decided to grant slaves liberty, which is great. napoleon tried to raise funds to defeat england that opposed them. One method he chose to do so was to reintroduce savery AFTER it was abolished, which is RETARDED. It worked in Guadeloupe, but in Haiti, which is, as i said earlier, not the flatest country, it is easy to be a guerillero in the heights, and even moreso when the country is plagued with endemic diseases that kill people en masse.

so the inhbitants revolted, the french lost because of disease/mountains, without a strong political tradition caudillos shared the power, many corruptions ! many white genocides ! many such cases !, the farmers went from cash crops to subsistence farming because of embargoes and poverty, louis-philippe I sent a fleet thirthy years later to get some gibz, which further ruined the nation, and long after the embargoes ended (done by every neighbor powers), the americans and the germans (for some time) interfered heavily with the politics and the economy and got cheap natural ressources. the duvalier came and fucked the country so MUCH every skilled person that still lived there fled to new york/montreal/miami and they were excellent corruptionfags (baby doc fled with like 900 millions iirc). Add an earthquake to this :)))

it was the ONLY time a slave revolt succeeded in Veeky Forumstory, therefore Haiti should be seen as /ourguys/ material rather than ''hurr niggers haha low iq''
Screencap this

Language, ethnic make up, and relations to their neighbors.

They speak a French based creole that makes it hard for them to speak to any other nation on the planet. Even France and other French colonies. This isolates them. Even from their direct neighbor.

Haiti had a massive genocide against Europeans, half-Europeans, and any folks who had light skin. This left black Africans and their descendants alone in a sea of mestizo and white nations. This further isolated them.

They then kept up this identity of "Haiti over all" while their neighbors slowly gained their independence without ruining their relations with their old overlord. This kept old businesses mostly afloat. Money would continue to flow and sustain the people. Haiti kept trying to revamp their farm based economy by pushing for better agriculture... this ended up repeating the idea of slavery and share cropping as poverty spread like a virus.

The Dominican Republic has this strange obsession with NOT being black or African. Cuba and some of the other Hispanic colonies are diverse... but the Dominican Republic had an image push for brown over black. This made them look better to Europeans. Trying to "bleach" themselves was reason enough for business to remain there even if it got cheaper.

Makes a great point, it's crazy how much Haiti freaked out and went anti-Euro for the time.

It's important to see that there are plenty of Caribbean islands with massive African descended populations... but none went so anti-Euro as Haiti. This means tourists kept coming, their businesses could continue selling to European buyers, existing European and mixed peoples could remain to keep a diverse face in the eyes of Western leaders.

Haiti rose up on decent ideas... but ended up digging its own grave to achieve them.

Pic related, this is not cherry picked either. You can actually see the differences between the two neighboring nations if you look close enough. It's sad

>embargo after breaking free from slavery
>France crushed them a with crippling debt for having the audacity to break away from slavery
>invaded by US who then install crazy tin-pot dictators like Papa Doc.
>And when they try and recover from that and elect some catholic priest who wants to help the poor the US backs a military coup.

Of course dumbass /pol/ack niggers will ignore all that and prattle on about "muh iq".

What else than low iq can justify eating dirt when living on an island in a sea full of fish?

>argentina
>white
into the trash it goes.

You're referencing a fluff story but in that case it was because they can't afford the fish user.

Average Haitian lives off 2 cents a day and any attempts at increasing their pay is prevented because "lolfuckthepooriwantcheaptextiles".

Apparently not.
andrewtarter.com/three-common-myths-about-deforestation-in-haiti/
news.vice.com/story/one-of-the-most-repeated-facts-about-deforestation-in-haiti-is-a-lie

>all white people

Nope, all French people. Polish Haitians still live on today as amixed race group.

>Dominican Republic

Bullshit.

*a mixed

>Haiti
>South America

>Hey, Veeky Forums could anyone give me an explanation as to why Haiti is such a terrible country?

They were punished harshly by butthurt Frenchies who forced them to buy back their own value as property, alienated by other American nations who didn't want to see them inspire more slave uprisings, and repeatedly invaded/interfered with by foreign powers that wanted to maintain their influence in the Caribbean.

Haiti is a complete shithole, but it's honestly a miracle it even still exists.

>what is a net
Wew. I know people who fish only their feet, user. It isn't that complicated to developed a system of extracting fish from water.

>what is illegal fishing
I'm sure some do it - but that's not as interesting a story as those who, unable to illegally feed themselves have to rely on milk mixed with dirt.

Come on user. You're not so retarded as to not comprehend the impact of poverty are you.

>fucking kids starving in africa. how dumb are you. just eat some food.

>Polish Haitians still live on today as a mixed race group.
>mixed race group
Then surely they don't exist today? Mestizo are an ethnic group all of their own.

He's right, tho.

>ooga booga, let's slaughter da french and da white bois, oppression sucks, slavery sucks, colonialism sucks!
>SHAKALAKA, VICTORY!!!
>WTF? We have to pay them?

t. Pat Robertson

>poles betray us
>nowadays, they are still butthurt because we "betrayed" them in 1939

Fuck poles.

A richly deserved indemnity too considering what they did to the white population of the island.

Black hatians are barbarians and deserve to live in the filth and squalor they have been given.

>and absorbed the Dominican Republic this way.
We were here first, if anything, we should be the ones annexing them.

>The Dominican Republic has this strange obsession with NOT being black or African. Cuba and some of the other Hispanic colonies are diverse... but the Dominican Republic had an image push for brown over black.
Are you implying that DR isn't diverse? why should we be advocating for blackness when most people here are pretty mixed and brown, and you forget that the rest of hispanic ex colonies were trying so hard to be white that invested a lot to bleach themselves like Cuba did, we did received european immigrants also but we didn't put all our efforts on it.

>The colony of Santo Domingo saw a spectacular population increase during the 17th century, as it rose from some 6,000 in 1637 to about 91,272 in 1750. Of this number approximately 38,272 were white landowners, 38,000 were free mixed people of color, and some 15,000 were slaves. This contrasted sharply with the population of the French colony of Saint-Domingue (present day Haiti) – which had a population that was 90% enslaved and overall seven times as numerous as the Spanish colony of Santo Domingo.

Why do you think is bullshit?

Maybe so, but that sort of slaughter is the sort of thing you can't expect to get away with unless you are far more powerful then the nations who object to your senseless barbarism.

vid related sums it up
youtube.com/watch?v=hmJLh3QCNgM

Fishing is not always viable or reduced in viability.
See Irish famine or foreign species invasion in lake Victoria.

Dominican Republic is quadroon, Haiti is nigger

Now do you understand?

The niggers are so stupid they actually deforested their entire island causing nothing mud to accumulate due to no water being absorbed and living in the tropics. They also never built farms, buildings, hospitals, anything all the human stuff you see in Haiti was built by white people. Even their own nigger cousins from Jamaica cant stand them.

Haiti was always destined to be hell on earth because its full of the most dangerous savage humans in history, a Haiti under French rule would suffer the same violent crime rates as US cities today, the Haitian areas would be no go zones and off limits and dont get started how much white people would be murdered in your utopia.

Quadrant? Hah they are mullatos at best

Majority is mulattoes, but quadroons are grouped with mulattoes here.

>Barbados
>Republic
>>wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_of_Barbados
Idiot

wtf i love miscegenation now

They were slaves. The tiny white population were the slave owners.

>trust me, we're not that nigger
t. fulanito merengue mc bachata

It didn't help the US and the other european powers wouldn't trade with them because they were uppity slaves. Seriously imagine but an export based economy and unable to trade with anyone for like 10 years. Then the French forced those huge reparations and the past 100 years have been an endless stream of CIA dictators to keep the population poor so we can get them t9 make cheap shit for America.

That didn't help but destroying the machines used to produce the things the island needed to survive is another. Also, just plain terrible leaders for much of its history. Toussaint was a bretty gud politician but pretty much everyone who came fter him ranged from inconsequential to someone who would be in the running of among the worst leaders any nation has ever seen.

It used to be the richest port in the new world. I think it didn't make the transition very well after colonialism ended

Replace California with Haiti!

Lets see how the cucks react.

Cuba is also a candidate we can talk about 53rd state.

Lead the way my brother

They want freedom, lets give the everything we got, but slowly and carefully.

>trading Cuckoldfornia for Cuba
My dick would be diamonds

>haitianon
Are you the secret NEET son of Michel Martelly or just an user who has studied the place a bit?

The dindus you sent to Miami were skilled? I mean I know those first hand and they're literal subhumans, if this is the cream of the crop of your nation then you're fucked beyond salvation.

All of those women would be considered "black" in America depending on where you are.

I guess this speaks volumes about how mixed black Americans are.

The worst Haitians are Haitian Americans who try to create a hybrid of the worst of Haitian culture with the worst of Afr-Am culture.

Fucking Zoe scum.

>stick mass of people kept intentionally uneducated in a place with no way to educate them
>shit doesn't go well
>'LMAO THE SECRET RACISM OF THE LEFT'

Yeah nah, you are not fooling anybody only one of those girls would get called Black(second one from left), the rest would pass as mestizas/"hispanic", even though they have more afro blood than amerindian.

This is what your avg afram women look like, mulattoes are truly a tiny minority among aframs, ley alone quadroon and octoroons.

*let alone

If there is a country that needs to be nuked to oblivion it's Haiti. It would be the most merciful act ever done. You cannot grasp how much of a hellhole that place is. Even Africa is better. I heard that after the earthquake, some African leaders said that perhaps it's a signal for Haitians to go back to their homeland in Africa.

haha if i were his son, believe me i wouldnt be able to type any of this, amrtelly is nothing but a very certainly corrupted rapper that got lucky in politics because of the rallying power of his bald head (tet kale), it has an hypnotizing effect on the masses that brandish it with affection. im haitian for real tho

the skilled elites came decades before that, in the meantime the new waves of Haitians that you are mentioning have a more popular background

Did you not read "depending on where you are", Juan? Louisiana, upper class areas of the South, old money families in the Northeast, all have people who look like them but are called "black". I don't agree myself, but it is what it is in America I guess.

And those certainly aren't the average, the average is a few shades lighter than that, though that's not to say there aren't women who look like that. If your ethnic is 20-25% White on average, you're going to look fairer than most black people outside of Latin America.

>Louisiana, upper class areas of the South, old money families in the Northeast, all have people who look like them but are called "black".
And i am telling you they are a tiny minority even among aframs.

>And those certainly aren't the average, the average is a few shades lighter than that, though that's not to say there aren't women who look like that. If your ethnic is 20-25% White on average, you're going to look fairer than most black people outside of Latin America.
Lol no, avg afram is just like 18% white, stop inflating that number.

>Altogether, genetic studies suggest that African Americans are a multiracial people. According to DNA analysis led in 2006 by Penn State geneticist Mark D. Shriver, around 58 percent of African Americans have at least 12.5% European ancestry (equivalent to one European great-grandparent and his/her forebears), 19.6 percent of African Americans have at least 25% European ancestry (equivalent to one European grandparent and his/her forebears), and 1 percent of African Americans have at least 50% European ancestry (equivalent to one European parent and his/her forebears).[156][157] According to Shriver, around 5 percent of African Americans also have at least 12.5% Native American ancestry (equivalent to one Native American great-grandparent and his/her forebears).

>Consequently, the 365 African Americans in their sample have a genome-wide average of 78.1% West African ancestry and 18.5% European ancestry, with large variation among individuals (ranging from 99% to 1% West African ancestry).

The hilarious thing about all of this in spite of your claim they STILL follow there gods while Europeans worship Jews from the Middle East.

>Christianity isn't the accumulation of various Greek philosophies (especially Platonism), Near Eastern religious ideas found in as diverse faiths as Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Mystery cults and others as well as native European folk beliefs
wew.