How does one find meaning in the world without religion?

How does one find meaning in the world without religion?

by praising kek

Make your own meaning. There is no inherent meaning to the world. Find a purpose in science, or art, or business, or whatever, and seek meaning in that.
Religion doesn't impart meaning, it just imparts ignorance and superstition.

By thinking for yourself.

Why does the world need meaning?

Why bother existing without a meaning?

That's what they don't want you to know. Traditions of all kinds are spooks of course, but without them what is there? The world is a great big horrifying nothing and the only thing that kept us collectively sane was doing the same shit our ancestors did because it worked for them. Now some big headed types have decided that they know better than everyone who lived before the 20th century and think that the world will be a better place if they tear down all of the arbitrary nonsense that kept us grounded without a thought for what can replace it.

That's the root of all kinds of madness, take for example. If you take away meaning people will go looking for it and take whatever they can get. The old traditions mightn't have made perfect sense, but why would you think that there's any chance of the new ones being any better?

You've got to find that out for yourself.

In my case, I'm only alive because I'm incapable of choosing to die. For me, trying to envision committing suicide is like trying to add the number green to the idea of Thanksgiving on a four function calculator- the buttons for it don't exist, and the answer wouldn't make sense even if they did. I recognized this a while back in my life, and I've just been existing since then, latching onto whatever will distract me while also acting in the interest of long-term self preservation.

EHHH there definitely is a meaning to the world.

>There is no inherent meaning to the world.

That in itself is a meaning though. Saying there is no meaning is a meaning.

Just like saying there is no objective truth is itself, an objective truth. It contradicts itself.

I don't know where you got the idea that I think I know better than 'everyone who lived before the 20th century' from. There's nothing left to do but draw your own conclusions when you throw out the ones you've been told.

he got that idea when you said
>By thinking for yourself.

its essentially saying, "Yeah all those smart fuckers that drove society forward to a point where it created me???

LOL FUCK THAT I THINK FOR MYSELF NIGGA, I CREATE MY OWN TRUTH DAWG"

If you choose to throw out the ones you've been told then you must think that you know better don't you? If you didn't you'd accept them.

I don't really think of my moral principles as necessarily better than anyone else's, just different.

Shadilay!

Yeah exactly, thats the issue dude

>my morals aren't better
>unless you worship a skydaddy still, lol idiots XD

Yeah no superiority there

When did I say that? Morality and from what it is derived are independent.

If they aren't better then why have you abandoned what you had? Were you born into a cultureless cosmopolitan wasteland? I get the impression you were.

Passing off other moral principles as
>just different

is fucking retarded.

you're afraid of judgement

I was raised Catholic, and I've drawn plenty of conclusions which align with Catholic teachings. The difference is I did so via my own criteria, without God.

The word 'necessarily' is key here.

You wouldn't have to draw your own conclusions if you were just willing to listen. And as you said your conclusions aren't any better than anybody else's. Why draw your own conclusions when countless generations before us already went to the trouble?

Because I wasn't happy with where they came from.

Why not?

so you chose not to be Catholic, because Catholicism is "just different"?

Well, if I stop believing in God, I obviously can't justify my morality with 'Because God says so.'

You don't have to believe in god to live like a Christian. And who's asking you to justify your morality?

Myself.

By having a brain.

Do you think it's weird that in your whole family tree you might well be the first one to start feeling the need to justify and question everything? Do you think that maybe some factor outside of yourself may have played a role here?

And in case you're wondering I'll say now, I'm NOT talking about Jewish subversion.

Then stop.

Explain?

It's possible. But if you're implying what I think you're implying, I would dispute the notion, given that my criteria for what is moral is my own.

define meaning

why not?

I don't know what you think I'm implying. Which I suppose is a good sign that you're wrong.

>the criteria for what is moral is my own
I don't think that this proves you weren't steered off by outside forces. It's my belief that these forces, whatever they may be, are primarily focused on getting you off of what currently is, or was depending on who you ask. Of course they want you with them but the conditioning can't always 100% take.

What I think you were implying is that because I draw inspiration, however minimal, I therefore forfeit my claim to independent thought.
I disagree with this, because I don't accept things unquestioningly.

>because I draw inspiration, however minimal, I therefore forfeit my claim to independent thought.
Sort of, yeah. Whether or not the ideas are yours isn't the point though. The point is why do you need these ideas at all? Why don't you accept things unquestioningly? Of course nobody is an ideological robot who can just swallow anything programmed into them, but there's something different in the air lately that's making people feel the need to reject virtually everything. Or at least that's how it looks to an angry reactionary like me.

I need the ideas I have as a sort of blueprint to function. And I don't accept things without question because I don't think anything is beyond scrutiny, and quite frankly, have a pretty strong aversion to authority.

you sound like the most cliche reatavist/post-moden/millineial

relativist* millennial* woops

I'm not a relativist.

You had a perfectly fine blueprint. We all did. But now we've had to throw them out because the powers that be, in their infinite wisdom (media and academia, not your government in case you didn't know that) have decided that they're no good for no particular reason.

Nothing is beyond scrutiny but plenty of things should be left well enough alone.

>I don't really think of my moral principles as necessarily better than anyone else's, just different.

you're a relativist.

Well, if it makes you feel any better my principles haven't much changed since I left the church.
Remember what I said about 'necessarily.'

>there isn't a single great atheist civilisation
huh really makes you think

>just different

you're a relativist

Why are you deliberately ignoring words of key importance?
Perhaps I should rephrase.
I don't think of my principles as necessarily better, but as necessarily different.
I would claim moral superiority over a muslim, but whether or not I am to a Christian becomes much more arguable.

It don't matter. Non' a this matters.

Because atheism was virtually non existent 100 years ago einstein

Just get in the fucking robot

How does one find meaning in Calvinist determinism?

I have absolutely no fucking idea

t. raised as an atheist for my entire life and now I'm desperately trying to believe in something because I lack purpose, but I got conditioned to unbelieve

Tell us. What meaning do you get from your religion?

no, it's because it mainly consists of fedoras. atheism is a branching process with an extinction probability of 1

That's just your opinion, in my opinion of course.

Eternal paradise after I die and pay tithes.

>atheism was non-existence 100 years ago

lmao

Just be a hedonist, pleasure is limited in this world, get the fun out of it while you can. The meaning will come afterwards, just enjoy and be grateful for the things in your life. Live in the present user.

fpbp

>traditionalists are literally against thinking

We, humans are very good in two things: inventing and killing. Nobody told us do that, we just do it. I assume that's our purpose. If you are religious you can believe that God designed us do that, if you're not religious you can believe that's just what humans do.
But there is still one mystery, are we supposed to invent or kill more, universe may not have same morals as we do.

What meaning does "meaninglessness" entail? I fail to see exactly where the contradiction lies.

Is meaning synonymous with truth? I don't think so, not completely anyway.

Kill yourself if you really think it's best to not exist. Natural selection won't care.

not one of you said have kids/ a family. what is Veeky Forums demographic?

Fighting for communism and social justice, feminism, LGBT rights, anti-racism and anti-fascism.

Lonely, angry people, mostly

If there is a meaning to this world we would probably never be able to understand what it ment

Semiosis, you dumbo
>wait, does he mean personal meaning of life
>lol
With religion
Everyone has religious beliefs, not organized"religion", but beliefs around a higher power detirmined by their experiential knowledge, wether supernatural or not.
People who aren't religious are reducing religion down to specifics or haven't thought to hard about it.
Religion comes along with our ability to interpret symbolic meaning.

>natural selection is a pervasive force
>barley understands basic concepts of evolution.
Sad

>spook

Fucking dropped, literally, not figuratively, literally. Literally, kill yourself.

Religion acts as a symbol of perceived values. Just because a concept isn't realistic literally, it can serve as a metaphor for realistic situations while uniting a culture behind goals.

You try and do the right thing, which requires differentiating between right and wrong, which is the territory of religion.

This.

Most people are plebs and can't create meaning. But the Ubermensch will.

>literally "listen and believe"
Good goy!

Atheism is the next step in human evolution. We will cast off the superstitions and come out stronger, smarter, and healthier.

Listen and believe to tradition. If you're drawing from (((other))) sources which only seem to have popped up in the last few decades and don't seem to be rooted in anything solid you're doing it wrong.

Hedonism?

>meaning in the world without religion
kek

>Listen and believe in humorism, don't eat venison with chili or you get mad!

3000 year old belief =! being right

That's a science, not a tradition.

>Radium therapy is science guys!

lol christfags

>tfw people believe this
>tfw fields like physics (especially quantum mechanics) are starting to move towards the argument for a god
>tfw atheists will get BTFO in our lifetime

>dude science is literally proving God
t. psued

If anything, quantum mechanics is evidence of Vedantic philosophy

But Kekism is a religion.

>calls me a pseud
>name drops literally the most pseud tier religion
kys

One scientist is not "the field"