Will we ever run out of art ideas? Is there a finite amount of art to be discovered...

Will we ever run out of art ideas? Is there a finite amount of art to be discovered? Things like color and sound are finite, aren't they? Given long enough time, won't we run out of them? This short story illustrates my point
spiderrobinson.com/melancholyelephants2.html

You are implying here that any person is capable of viewing all art in a lifetime.

Art is lost.
Art is forgotten.
Art is denounced, and centuries later praised.
This thread and all evidence of it will disappear in 10 years.
Ordinary farmhand Gregory Manning's oil paintings will become damp, mold over, and become destroyed, and every one of the friends who saw them will die leaving no trace behind of Greg's artistic achievement

Explain how would we "run out" of art

In the future art will be much more easily preserved. You are a fool for trying to refute that.

sump

If you do the math there is more possible art than there are atoms in the universe, by many orders of magnitude. It may not be infinite but humanity or any other life wouldn't come close to exhausting the amount of possible art.

It's not enough

>finite
Confirmed retard. Just because something has definable boudaries and limitations doesn't mean there cannot be infinite itterations of the elements within that finite set. Decimals, mate. Lean some math and shit, dog.

Elaborate how decimals would be applied to art you mong.

Define who art can only deal in absolutes. Let's be clear timbre can vary between individual instruments of the same variety. There are no perfect absolutes in the set. Yes, the set is quantifiable and limited. There will eventually be a closed limit of acousitic patterns that are intelligably to the human audience but to suggest that one note on any instrument is the same, is false. In that sense we can see the notes as numbers of the set and instruments a level of decimal with timbre being a further variation.
Then you have combinations of notes and of instruments and of timbre. Then you have combination of combinaitions. While the combinations of determined absolutes, such as notes, is finite the variation within those absolute factors will likely be infintesimal.
You can apply the same logic to other forms of art as well.

But the won't the songs become too long and the art be too big?

We have a long way to go before that happens

I'm talking about variation within factors contained in a limited set. Not there being an infinite chain of sequence. I mean, there is but yes, at some point things get too long and unweildy. Have you ever sung a song once and thought you could do better despite having the same skill, instrument (voice) and combination (perhaps other singers)? It's because there's variation in the performance even though you're using the same notes, the same combination of notes (song), the same medium of acoustic (vocal chords).
That is the infintesimal. The variation WITHIN the factors.
A good band never plays the same live show twice. A good song can be covered time and time again and still feel fresh. Infintesimal variation rather than infinite length or factors.

I don't care, it's going to happen. How can one be happy knowing it will come in the future?

That's not infinitesimal. It's just very gery larte permutations. But it's still finite.

*very large

It is no more infintesimal than decimals. That you see it as premuatation still shows an over reliance on absolutes rather than seeing it as a spectrum. Using voice as an example on one end we have some with no chords and on the other we see someone with max chord density, neither are particularly capable of music but they're a useful abstraction at this point.
For the purpose of quantification we might devise a quotiont for chord density, specifically designed in terms of magnitude to display variation within the human range. No matter how finely the degree there will still be examples (most of them really) that fall between two scores.
Further, this only accounts for density. The relative mass and positioning may also create variation in sound production. Even with quantifiable measures for those factors too you would have measures that fall between the absolutes in your scale. While you have defined the physical limitations (no or full density) and explored the natural-

- limits (lowest and highest density in the projected population). You still couldn't generate a number for how many 'premuations' there would be, simply because the measurement is continuous in such a way and with such complexity (with the introduction of other factors interacting with the effect) that variation is for all practical purpose if not outright, infintesimal

The problem with continuous distinctions rather than discrete distinctions, is that the continuous distinctions usually aren't different enough to be notable.

Hence the word, infinitesimal, which means, "it might as well not be different at all"

While this might be true of a single factor if there are interactions, mediations and moderations between factors involved in the production of a piece of art the slight change of one makes more notable differences in others and hence the outcome.

But difference is either objective or subjective. What you percieve to be indistinguishable others may not. I, for example, cannot tell the difference between a good trumpet solo and a great one. One's ability to differentiate is and important element to note.

objectively wrong

Why would we run out of art, we have so many relatively and genuinely new electronic media available to artists.

Read the thread my man. It will eventually be used up.

Why don't you read the thread? There are as many pieces of art as there are snowflakes

As long aspeoe still have imaginations, still dream and still go crazy there will always be more art

It's not enough.

I did, the idea is not compelling. In our time of change, social, technological, environmental, etc; we will run out of new ideas because dude finite colours lmao xd

What? What are you even trying to say?

The point is that it's effectively finite for the purpose of human experience you retards.
You change 1 note on a song and it's technically an entirely new song. But from human perspective it's the exact same shit. Change 1 stroke on a painting: it's an entirely new painting. For a human looking it it, it's the same fucking painting.
Then combine this with the fact not all combination of atoms are aesthetically pleasing to humans. This necessarily means there is a finite combination of atoms that ARE aesthetically pleasing to humans.
Now realize what that means when you acknowledge both of these facts at once.
Not only is there a finite amount of aesthetically pleasing arrangements of atoms, but most of those arrangements will be indistinguishable from each other by humans.
That's the problem.
You would have realized this is you actually read the story in OP instead of immediately going to shitposting your inane opinions.

>You change 1 note on a song and it's technically an entirely new song. But from human perspective it's the exact same shit
Except that covers are a massive trend. So your entire argument is wrong. Further, you assume that the human experience is both collective and infinite. If we're using an experiential frame point then there will never be anywhere near a finite amount because before any level of indistinguishable premutations were to occur the individual would be dead.
Try harder.

>fictional story about pleasant atoms
>not the poster child of inane
Wew lad

>Except that covers are a massive trend
So you're saying finite combination times finite equals infinity? No, you're not. But that is what my argument is.
This:
> If we're using an experiential frame point then there will never be anywhere near a finite amount because before any level of indistinguishable premutations were to occur the individual would be dead.
Is the important part. But I was arguing the story, not about art experience.

If copyright is infinite and you have decent storage than yes you'll run into the problem stated in the story.
"covers" aren't exempt from copyright if the eternal merchant really wanted to fuck people over.
But I agree with your argument if you're saying subjectively there is effectively unlimited amount of art for humans.
Get AI involved and the whole game changes. AI could listen to symphony in as much time as it takes to read the information.

I'll rephrase. I think it is absolutely retarded to suggest that we will run out of new art because of a finite amount of perceptible colours or a lack of ideas. Particularly so when one considers rapid changes in technology, our environment, our societies, and so on, that are changing and will continue to change how we see and interact with the world; and which are and will result in the creation of new media, new responses to the changing world by artists, and new responses to art by the consumer.

Didn't say anything about a lack of colors. There's a finite amount ways atoms can be arranged.

>Didn't say anything about a lack of colors.
OP did.
>There's a finite amount ways atoms can be arranged.
Yeah sure, there's a finite number of people in the world too, but I'm not going to run out of people to meet. Maybe once we are all brains in jars floating around in space artists will run out of new things to say and new ways to say it.

humanity will likely be long dead before then

So you just proved my point.

I made the change from a common thief
To up close and personal with Robin Leach
And I'm far from cheap, I smoke skunk with my peeps all day
Spread love, it's the Brooklyn way
The Moet and Alize keep me pissy
Girls used to diss me
Now they write letters 'cause they miss me
I never thought it could happen, this rappin' stuff
I was too used to packin' gats and stuff
Now honies play me close like butter played toast
From the Mississippi down to the east coast
Condos in Queens, indo for weeks
Sold out seats to hear Biggie Smalls speak
Livin' life without fear
Puttin' 5 karats in my baby girl's ear
Lunches, brunches, interviews by the pool
Considered a fool 'cause I dropped out of high school
Stereotypes of a black male misunderstood
And it's still all good

Forget art, lets's talk literature

Is there a finite amount of possible stories?

Literature is art. And yes. That is also depressing. Without stories taking too long. Have you heard of the Library of Babel?

Remember so much art is already reusing old ideas.

>art is a metaphysical "thing" that needs to be discovered
End this fucking meme. Art is CREATED. You CREATE art out of NOTHING. In the aesthetic realm, you are a god. You're just blaming your lack of creativity on others.

There's a VERY limited number of stories, it's all about how you tell it.

good artists borrow, great artists steal

>STEMfags try to talk about art
Embarrassing, leave art to the artists

No. As languages evolve, the way in which humans can be able to tell a story will change also, and in this way we will find new ways to tell them and the stories will change as such.

>dude art is just colors/paintings/words
>ideas and aesthetics don't matter
This is your brain on reductionism

This. Everyone itt is also ignoring the place of art as an inherent human activity and a means to affirm life.

Did I? You haven't actually directly responded to anything I said, pretty sure at this point you are a shitposter just stringing me along.

>Maybe once we are all brains in jars floating around in space artists will run out of new things to say and new ways to say it.

Is that figurative scenario an inevitability? Will posthuman human technology and society ever actually stagnate? Is it not more likely that for the foreseeable future (as per my previous posts that you have not responded to the content of) that technology will continue to advance and new challenges will continue to arise leading to societal change and the creation of new media. And are you not just leading me on for the purposes of farming (You)s?

I'm not talking about the forseeable future, I mean billions and trillions of years from now, we will run out.

And yes I have read your past posts.

>Things like color and sound are finite, aren't they?

Objects are combinations of atoms. There are millions of atoms in objects big enough that we call them art. Combinations increase combinatorially, wouldn't you know, so the number of possible combinations with a few million components might as well be infinity. Like if every person on Earth made a baseball per second until the end of the universe, we still probably wouldn't have made every possible baseball.

humanity will not last anywhere near that long

That's not what I'm worried about. I'm worried about the mere fact that art can be exhausted.

But it's not infinite.

I don't get what the ending was supposed to mean.

>Call me Bob.
>Yes, Robert.

??

We'll run out of art when we run out of history.

But we'll still never reach it.

But the fact that it's possible is what disturbs me.

We have already ran out of music ideas. Literally every possible melody (with actual harmony) has been written at least once. People find unrelated songs that accidentally have the same tune all the time.

So, did people get bored with music in general? No, a person can only get exposed to and remember a fracture of all existing music so noone even really notices that most songs are not totally unique.

The same is true for all other art forms.