Which battle could rightfully be called the greatest battle in history? Why?

Which battle could rightfully be called the greatest battle in history? Why?

Stalingrad

Battle of Catalaunian Plains

Waterloo, because things have gone downhill ever since the Eternal Anglo got his filthy hands on global hegemony

Battle of Vienna and Battle of Tours

I would probably have to go with Stalingrad too.

I don't think anything before the 1800s can really qualify. Especially going be scale.

My vote goes to stalingrad
not just for the scale of the battle but for the destruction, desperation, and importance of the battle

Salamis

>Why?

>millions of military personnel
>millions of civilians
>millions of casualties
>thousands of planes, tanks, artillery pieces
>basically the end of German momentum from Barbarossa
>destruction of the 6th army
>incredible logistics
>months of house to house fighting

I'd go with Stalingrad, for all the reasons given, but must make a nod toward Verdun, for the scale of the losses, and how it typifies the charred path burned across history by WWI.

The Siege of Constantinople (1203) is unironically the best battle of all time, the entire operation was so perfectly executed and elaborate. Where else do you see a blind old man purposely put himself into the middle of the battle because he knows his boys have his back and will be even more inspired to fight? Nowhere

Pretty shitty choice.

Battle of Cannae

>implying siege towers on top of galleys isn't radical as hell

>greatest

gimmick battle pls go

Why?
>both naval and land aspects
>often times having to make landings and mobilize the cavalry on a moment's notice
>set up Venetian ships to enter the city from anywhere
>French cavalry knocking back multiple Byzantine attempts to surprise land forces split away from most of the army
>Based Dandolo YOLO charging his own ship into the walls of Constantinople
>the sheer ridiculousness of the whole siege being done so the Crusaders could eventually fight Muslims and never actually getting to do that

Define "great".

>cannae
were they scottish or something?

Leyte Gulf. Battlefield covered over 100,000 square miles. Over 800 ships from multiple fleets on both sides, including the greatest battleships ever built actually engaging surface targets, 20 fleet and light aircraft carriers, nearly 2,000 aircraft, first organized use of kamikazis, most tonnage sunk in history, corresponding amphibious landings on Leyte itself involving almost 500,000 ground and support troops, a decisive result owed to military stratigum rather than environmental circumstances or mismanagement.

This.

Cannae believe ya just made that joke, ya fucking weapon

This

Constantinople ;_;

>a debacle caused by a dictator with no military sense
>a blind disregard for reality and tactics roundly opposed by the actual military leadership
>a pointless last stand in which a smaller, poorly supplied force is overwhelmed, encircled, and destroyed by a larger force for purely political reasons
>this is somehow a great battle

I swear the average age on Veeky Forums has to be 14.