Why did the Vikings become synonymous with beards but other European cultures, such as the Celts, did not?

Why did the Vikings become synonymous with beards but other European cultures, such as the Celts, did not?

Other urls found in this thread:

vikinganswerlady.com/hairstyl.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because most people probably don't know anything about celts and other peoples of the time.

Ironically both vikings and celts seem to have actually preferred mustaches

Probably both were heavily bearded, but the vikings (guys from Scandinavia) had thicker and longer beards because of the climate they lived on. Beards, aside from aesthetics, are cold protection. I'm not saying that Celts didn't have beards, they did (a lot) but probably not as extensively as the nords because their climate, while still cold, wasn't as cold as way up north. So in some cases (like Gauls in south France or Turkey) they didn't need them that much.

Because we had better beards.

step aside, beardlets

Why don't Native Americans have beards then? Especially the Inuit.

Native americans cant grow beard u dingus

Meds are much hairier than nords though. Your explanation doesnt make sense.

Vikings being synonymous with beards is a very modern thing

Moustaches went out of fashion in Scotland and Ireland around the 5th century and Gaels were legally expected to be bearded until around the 17th century. Sideburns and moustaches were considered to be for young men or children but if you were an adult and you had one it was a bit like a 40 year old man wearing skinny jeans would be viewed today.

Irish Brehon law actually has a whole section devoted to infractions concerning beards so it was a pretty big deal there.

They actualy do, some pacific northwest peoples especially get very hairy.

Native American beardlessness is an exclusively cultural thing, Thomas Jefferson wrote pretty heavily about it.

Beta lowtest genetics

Prove it

/this

>5 legs

One of those isn't a leg, fuckboy.

The Celts don't? the Greeks arent?

>beards
>implying this is not a Victorian meme about the "noble wild" that made it into Hollywood

The modern concept of viking is greatly made up. It has been romanticized and glorified without a good reason, mainly for people that want to feel some pride from his ancestry but that lives in a country without the historic relevance of the rest of Europe.

Hence the blonde, bearded, muscular and fearless warrior is no more than a meme.

>Beards might seem like an odd target for taxation, but to Peter the Great (1672-1725)—Russia’s revolutionary Czar—facial hair was no laughing matter.

>Born in Moscow with the name Pyotr Alekseyvich Romanov on June 9, 1672, the young royal would—more than any other figure—be credited with the modernization of Russia. Feeling that his country’s culture, technology, and politics were anachronistically agrarian, Peter embarked upon a lengthy tour of Western Europe in 1697. During this trek, he took in such sights as Oxford University, the British Royal Mint, and the Dutch naval yard (en route, Peter also met a promising scientist by the name of Isaac Newton).

>After Peter’s triumphant return to Russia at the end of his European voyage in 1698, a joyous reception was thrown in his honor. In attendance were his commander of the army, his frequent second-in-command Fyodor Romodanovsky, and a host of assorted aides and diplomats. Suddenly, the crowd’s mood went from elation to horror as Peter unexpectedly pulled out a massive barber’s razor. As biographer Robert K. Massie writes, “After passing among his [friends] and embracing them… he began shaving off their beards” with his own hands! Given his political stature, none of his associates dared question this stunning turn of events. (His physical stature didn't hurt either: Peter stood an imposing 6’8”.)

>Hairless necks and faces were all the rage in the Western World, so the Czar initially ordered that all of his subjects (excluding clergy and peasants) must lose their face fuzz. So dedicated was Peter to his cause that he even instructed police officials to personally shave those who refused to comply on sight.

Nope. You're wrong.
The modern concept about vikings comes from arabic and english scholars of that time that described them. Check out Ahmad ibn Fadlan, the english bishop Grimskjell or the english scholar (despite the name) Olav Trygvassons text that describes the vikings in pretty much exact the way they are described today.

>(en route, Peter also met a promising scientist by the name of Isaac Newton).
newton had already proved his worth by this time, so this statement is dumb

vikinganswerlady.com/hairstyl.shtml

Maybe due to Celts not being synonymous with wearing beards, perhaps.

I don't know what you mean by "synonymous". Almost all European ancients up to medievil people's are usually depicted with beards. Its not like people think the Celts didn't have beards because they weren't vikings.

I remember reading somewhere that Celts were not considered adults until they had grown facial hair.

Insular Celts are the worst Celts

We produced these shaving razors in Britain around 300BC for the Romans, because we're fucking retards who don't know how to groom? We actually produced these razors and had no idea what they were, come to think of it, we had no idea how to develop metallurgy, the Romans did this for us from 2000BC onward.

WE

4 vaganhas

>Your statue is done sir
>What the fuck Yusef, there are 5 legs there! I swear i'm throwing you in a fucking river if Hammurabi allows me to. God, i hate laws.

How to defeat a Gaul?

> hire Gauls to fight against him

langobards tho

In Ireland at least, adults were expected to have full beards, while young men were expected to have sideburns or moustaches.

The English government in Ireland actually banned having a full, shaggy beard because it was considered to be something only Irish people did. There's a letter from a 16th century English official in Galway to a colleague in Dublin complaining that Irish people didn't taper or shape their beards and he thought it looked rather grotesque.

>Hammurabi
>if someone makes you a 5 legged statue, you as a retribution have to make him a 5 legged statue as well

Celts are syononymous with mustaches tho.

Not that guy but I'm a turk in northern europe and I'm far more hairy than any of my friends.
They will have atmost chest hair.

yes it does. Meds are hairy for humidity. How is a huge heavy thick long germanic beard going to help you in a hot humid Mediterranean climate

so scandinavians werent blond? hardened raiders and killers who fucking rowed over the north sea werent muscular?

>its been glorified and romanticised, therefore its entirely made up

is your logic

those are roman/greek hairstyles