/hh/

Why does Islam dislike humor?

Also general Veeky Forumshumor thread

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasreddin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bektashi_Order
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conference_of_the_Birds
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Humor can't be subject to control, or used to control people.

Name me one example of humor being used as a method to control people to the same extent as fear.

i half agree with you... but look at the pandering garbage that is late night with john oliver

i know its subjective but i think that's a good example of, even if by accident, humor doing a good job of swaying public opinion

Satire relies on challenging the status quo and the powers that be. It's a healthy part of speech and expression in a free society but is suppressed in authoritarian ideologies (including the worldview advocated by militant Islamists) for that reason.

Oliver's show started decent but got stale quickly. It's mostly preaching to the choir. Stewart was better.

>Why does Islam dislike humor?

Where did you get this idea from?

Bassem Youssef's arrest by the egyptian government?

totally agree with all of that. and hence why i think preaching to the choir through humor, can kinnnnnd of help reinforce public opinion.

Humor is an open forum of memes. It can't be monopolized by social institutions the way fear can.

>Name me one example of humor being used as a method to control people to the same extent as fear.
Literally modern day liberal comedians. Too many people listen to them simply because they make things funny.

That sounds like it's the Egyptian government doing that, not the clergy.

Then again if Egypt wasn't ruled by a secular dictatorship, it would be ruled by a Saudi-tier theocracy. They only got bad options.

Liberalism just makes sense.

It's only natural for right thinking people to agree with it.

Conservatives on the other hand are only conservative because they're brought up that way, or because they want to project their failings as a person onto a group they can hate.

As opposed to listening to something because it makes you scared? You might be able to influence people with humour, but never control them and keep them in line.

Guilt on the other hand is used extensively.

Well you've answered your own question.

Because in many Middle Eastern countries religion is tied directly to autocratic regimes. It's not that Islam dislikes humour, it's that regimes do.

>Liberalism makes sense
>That's why it's greatest modern minds hind behind the skirt of just being a comedian whenever they have to seriously defend their positions

>making fun of islam
>it's always arab stereotypes
why never a malaysian or indian muslim wearing their traditional clothes?

this is hurtful towards christian arabs also who suffer persecution from muslims

I'm pretty sure these threads exist solely so the facebook "history memes" pages have some source for their pictures

Nobody except for you gives a fuck. It gets the point across.

This is a retarded worldview. Conservatism makes sense.

Non-arabs aren't REAL muslims.

t. Muhammad Ibn Al-Jihadi

they dislike humor used as propaganda against them

you can bet your ass they love the anti-christian propag... err i mean humor, that's so popular in the modern west

>Liberalism just makes sense.
if it makes sense then why are liberals dying out? muslim population is skyrocketing, liberal secular populations are dying out, it's clear who is in the right here

liberalism is a defect, a cancer on society that is killing the population, Islam apparently is the cure

they both do.

it's about finding the equilibrium and compromise

That's an extremely dangerous way for any adult in the modern world to think. Invalidating other people's points of view simply because they're different from yours is a road down a dark path.

Things that may be right for you may not be right for other people. The world isn't one big uniform structure it's an infinite lattice of different components that have to at least nominally work together in unison to proceed forward.

Lol, comedians are not the liberalism's greatest minds, they're just the funny everyman with his head on straight.

Those who oppose liberalism can't even manage to be funny.

Opinions based off of ignorance, hatred, and immorality simply are not deserving of respect to the same degree opinions which are informed by science, reason, and compassion are.

Lol, this salty /pol/ack.

I agree, liberalism is absurd, they literally think every single human population is the same, how could they possibly deny evolution so much? It must be because of their hatred of white people or their inability to reason correctly.

>it's another "Americans can't understand the difference between Liberalism and the Left" episode

But liberal-progressives are the only left that's left, no pun intended.

The libertarians are also liberals.

Which is why I didn't just say liberals, I specified liberals of the progressive kind.

Point still stands liberalism≠left

Yeah, sure and rectangles aren't the same thing as squares, since not all rectangles are squares. But all squares are rectangles.

>Also general Veeky Forumshumor thread
nice try /pol/

That doesn't make rectangles squares.

Plus the Left is not purely progressive liberals, Stalinists are still a thing.

Dude, enough, liberals of the progressive kind are considered left by everyone aside from commies. And nobody cares what commies think, as can be seen by them being completely irrelevant politically.

That doesn't make liberalism and the Left the same thing.

Underrated truth.

No, they aren't. But some liberals are leftists.

Yes, that is what I said.

But the point still stands, liberalism ≠ the left.

>Why does Islam dislike humor?
Same reason every system hates it.

It challenges their power.

You can kill someone who has made fun of your stupidity.

But the fact remains that they pointed out your stupidity and made fun of it for the world to see.

Sure you killed someone who made fun of you but now the whole fucking world is laughing at you.

Humor (or Humour) or real Satire > everything else

In Ancient Celtic society The Bard was seated next to the King and was expected to make fun of him.

It keeps the powerful humble and grounded in reality.

>In Ancient Celtic society The Bard was seated next to the King and was expected to make fun of him.

>It keeps the powerful humble and grounded in reality

It also makes it really easy to control the satire to make sure it doesn't touch on anything meaningful.

Liberalism is essentially centrist.

You're retarded and hopefully a troll but if you want an example suitable to your worldview, just look at the power of /pol/'s humour and irreverence in changing minds. pic related. people are attracted to wit, its seen as a good quality in people and produces positive emotions that loosen people up to ideas and perspectives they would normally be averse to. this can certainly be seen as a positive thing but you can't deny its power in aiding ends you would find morally undesirable.

The idea that "humour" can't be used to control people is just sentimentalism. One of the things C.S. Lewis wrote about once was the power of elevating being flippant to a virtue as a means of avoiding responsibility and dealing with the real world and moral consequences. I would say that too much personal and social irreverence is unhealthy (see: DFW's criticism of irony in American culture). Humans desire to have some kind of sense of sanctity and sincere respect for solemn things. Also, without it, you can never have humour that "pushes the boundaries". These things require each other to be powerful.

Islam is a religion practiced by like a billion people for 1400 years from Mauretania to Indonesia. There obviously were Muslim comedians, especially Sufis would use humour as a means of spiritual betterment, by making the faithful reflect on themselves. Sometimes it skirted heresy, like a Sufi (Sa'adi I think, though I'm not sure) saying that thanks to his ascetic practice, he didn't need to perform a hajj - the Ka'aba would visit him every day and circumambulate around his head. It's remarkable that those men would often mock orthodox Muslim practices, but remain deeply faithful Muslims themselves - in Christianity it was mostly people who didn't like it who mocked it.

The most well-known or prominent examples would be:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasreddin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bektashi_Order

There's some top tier banter in those, like:

>Nasreddin was walking in the bazaar with a large group of followers. Whatever Nasreddin did, his followers immediately copied. Every few steps Nasreddin would stop and shake his hands in the air, touch his feet and jump up yelling "Hu Hu Hu!". So his followers would also stop and do exactly the same thing.
>One of the merchants, who knew Nasreddin, quietly asked him: "What are you doing my old friend? Why are these people imitating you?"
>"I have become a Sufi Sheikh," replied Nasreddin. "These are my Murids [spiritual seekers]; I am helping them reach enlightenment!"
>"How do you know when they reach enlightenment?"
>"That’s the easy part! Every morning I count them. The ones who have left – have reached enlightenment!"

/pol/ isn't funny though. They take themselves far too seriously.

It's why they have their own containment board.

The story "Conference of the Birds" by Attar Nishapuri makes use of puns and wordplay to give the reader a greater truth about reality and the presence of God in the world.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conference_of_the_Birds

Because islam is all about submission: submission to God, the fear of his wrath - submitting to terror.

But if you can laugh about something it becomes less frightening.

Accurately describes most religions.

Mullah Nasreddin for president, man. Absolute toppest tier banter.

>One particularly dark night, the mullah was seen looking intently at the area under a streetlight.
>Two kind, young men decided to ask him what he was doing. The Mullah replied that he had lost his glasses and was looking for them. The youths offered to help the mullah look, but after an hour of seeking under the streetlight, they found no trace of the glasses.
>"Mullah, are you sure you lost them here?"
>"No, I lost them elsewhere, but I decided I would have an easier time looking for them under the light of the streetlamp.

Umaiyyah bin Makshi reported: "The Prophet was sitting while a man was eating food. That man did not mention the Name of God till only a morsel of food was left. When he raised it to his mouth, he said, Bismillah awwalahu wa akhirahu. The Prophet smiled at this and said, "Satan had been eating with him but when he mentioned the Name of God, Satan vomited all that was in his stomach".

— From Abu Dawud and Al-Nasa'i

“One of his companions was Zahir, who used to trade in metal objects. Once the Prophet was passing by the bazaar, he saw Zahir and playfully grabbed him from behind and said, “Will anyone buy this slave?” Zahir laughed and said, “O Messenger of Allah, whoever buys this slave will be in loss.” The Prophet smiled and said, “In Allah’s eyes, your value is high.”

Context: Zahir, radiallahu anhu, was known to be very ugly and people mocked him for it often. His self-esteem was, therefore, very low. The prophet salallahu alayhi wa sallam took every chance to play and joke with him, rather than against him.

>The Prophet smiled and said, “In Allah’s eyes, your value is high.”
Bruh.

it isn't funny if your sensitive and get offended very easily

Most other religions are not okay with rape, loli-love and murder, or even endorse those said activities with similar glee.

Conservatives in general don't like humor, or rather conservative humors are bad publicity.

>look at the poorfags hahahaha, he can't even afford to live in a house
>wow blacks are still crying about slavery

>lol buddhists, their pacifism is hilarious
>lol hindus and their useless religion
>white christians womens be ready to convert with my penis hahaha
>what did allah say to the infidels? death to infidels

Try to make a 9/11 joke in burgerland than we will see if Islamic countries are the only one who lack humor

rare insight into the worldview of a middle class 13 year old, everyone

Mocking people into submission, although that's just fear of being seen as abnormal again.

Wow deep insight you are such an intellectual

Seems like I hit a nerve

Proximity. But you can change that, you know.
>centrists
>look at me, i took a third option
>i'm so clever!

Gaaaaay
Ooo, I've got one.
>What do you call someone who likes Mondays?
>Unemployed.

It's a little too Reddit for me nowadays.

>It isn't funny if you don't find it funny

I just don't think liking dicks is a valid reason to target someone for mockery. It's not a moralising thing either, it's just lazy.

Eh, you'd be surprised.

>too Reddit for me nowadays
what?
reddit hates /pol/ with passion like most of the boards do

So then I don't respect your opinion because you've shown you're clearly ignorant about conservativism.

Absolute madman.

If you're not an autist, you're a cuck.

You just can't win.

DA JOOS stops being funny after a while. It's for kids who want to feel edgy and cool by trying as hard as they can to be offensive.

The muslim world lacks critical self awareness. Humour also falls in this category as self deprecating humour doesnt occur in Muslim culture and when it does it is mostly a pale imitation of Western tradition by westernized Muslims.

As with any artform really...

best post so far

No I'm not.

>t. Theologist

I doubt making fun of 9/11 would trigger a Fatwah
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CwlK-ot2oM

Because Catholicuck church hates fun and they employed Muhammad (Marcio Anticircentis) to create a false religion called Islam.

>reddit hates /pol/ with passion like most of the boards do
/r/Veeky Forums and /r/the_donald are both massive subleddits

Are implying /pol/ is relevant in making anything other than a bunch of internet libruls mad?

Because there's nothing less funny than your oppressor making fun of you. I'm not even an sjw but I can sympathise. Think about it. The people making these jokes are normally
>Western
>Richer than you
>From a country that is more developed than yours.
>Probably from a country that has either bombed yours recently or sponsored a dictator to rule your country or to rule a country that invaded yours.
>Of the mindset that there is a clear division between culture, religion, identify and think that religion is an idea and is nothing like a race, an idea that is completely foreign to you.
>From a society that prides itself on free speech and believes that open dialogue between different people isn't just tolerable but ideal. An attitude which has no history or precedence in most Islamic countries. Please note that you as a good god-fearing Muslim come from a culture where religion is life and death and not a dinner table topic or something to argue about.

Insults are not to be taken lightly in the middle East. Further more, when a joke is made of Islam, not only is it perceived as insulting e religion, god (personally), the people, the corpus of Islamic literature, traditional values, but it also hurts the pride of people who feel that their pride has been stomped on the ground repeatedly over history.

I'm not even a Muslim. I'm an atheist who dislikes Islam more than Christianity. But I do understand how people in shitty countries might feel.

I doubt the moderate ones could give a rat's ass about "offensive" humor.

Just jelly of freedoms.

>all these plebs that don't know about Nasreddin jokes
Honestly pretty fun humor desu, Nasreddin is what Socrates wishes he would be in the wits department.

Once Nasreddin was invited to deliver a sermon. When he got on the pulpit, he asked, Do you know what I am going to say? The audience replied "no", so he announced, I have no desire to speak to people who don't even know what I will be talking about! and left.
The people felt embarrassed and called him back again the next day. This time, when he asked the same question, the people replied yes. So Nasreddin said, Well, since you already know what I am going to say, I won't waste any more of your time! and left.
Now the people were really perplexed. They decided to try one more time and once again invited the Mulla to speak the following week. Once again he asked the same question – Do you know what I am going to say? Now the people were prepared and so half of them answered "yes" while the other half replied "no". So Nasreddin said Let the half who know what I am going to say, tell it to the half who don't, and left

A neighbour came to the gate of Mulla Nasreddin's yard. The Mulla went to meet him outside.
"Would you mind, Mulla," the neighbour asked, "can you lend me your donkey today? I have some goods to transport to the next town."
The Mulla didn't feel inclined to lend out the animal to that particular man, however. So, not to seem rude, he answered:
"I'm sorry, but I've already lent him to somebody else."
All of a sudden the donkey could be heard braying loudly behind the wall of the yard.
"But Mulla," the neighbour exclaimed. "I can hear it behind that wall!"
"Whom do you believe," the Mulla replied indignantly, "the donkey or your Mulla?"

>there is inequality
>therefore the richer people are oppressing the poorer people
>Danish people are somehow oppressing the people that they allow to settle in their country

cancer

Nasreddin was walking in the bazaar with a large group of followers. Whatever Nasreddin did, his followers immediately copied. Every few steps Nasreddin would stop and shake his hands in the air, touch his feet and jump up yelling "Hu Hu Hu!". So his followers would also stop and do exactly the same thing.
One of the merchants, who knew Nasreddin, quietly asked him: "What are you doing my old friend? Why are these people imitating you?"
"I have become a Sufi Sheikh," replied Nasreddin. "These are my Murids [spiritual seekers]; I am helping them reach enlightenment!"
"How do you know when they reach enlightenment?"
"That’s the easy part! Every morning I count them. The ones who have left – have reached enlightenment!"

more like nasreddin and the mulla behave like jews

One day the Hodja had 10 para to buy himself lunch with. He first went into the bakery, handed 5 para over to the baker and asked for a bread. As the baker gave Hodja the bread he asked for his money.

`I just paid you' Hodja said.

`No, you didn't pay me.' the baker insisted, `I didn't see any money.' After a few minutes of debate, not being able to convince the bully baker, Hodja had to give in. He took out his other 5 para and gave it to him.

Left with no money at all, Hodja next entered the grocery store. He asked for a jar of yogurt. When the grocer asked for his money, Hodja claimed that he had just given him a 5 para. The good natured grocer had been a little preoccupied all morning, so he easily believed that he must have indeed taken the money and forgotten it.

Hodja took his provisions and sat under a tree. Before starting to eat his lunch, he raised his head towards the sky and said `Sublime Allah, You know what really happened, You take the 5 para from one and give it to the other.'

Nasreddin Hodja's old house had a leaking roof. One day the Hodja decided to fix it. He borrowed a ladder and with great difficulty climbed up to the roof. Just as he was setting off to work, he heard a knock on the door. He looked down from the edge of the roof and saw a stranger in front of his door.

`I am up here.' Hodja shouted. When the man looked up, `What is it that you want?' he asked him.

`Please come down,' replied the man, `I have something to say to you.'

Hodja precariously descended down the old ladder. Once on the ground he again asked the man what he wanted.

`Alms,' said the man, `could you spare some alms.'

Hodja thought for a second and then told the man to come up to the roof with him. Hodja in front, the beggar behind him, both running short on breath, climbed up the ladder. Once on the roof top, Hodja turned to the man and said: `I don't have any.'

Humor is a sign of intelligence.

It's semitic humor, so yeah it's pretty similra to jewish jokes.

Nasreddin Hodja had borrowed a cauldron from his neighbour. When he didn't return it for a long time, the neighbour came knocking on the door.

`Hodja Effendi, if you are finished with the cauldron could I take it back? The wife needs it today.'

`Ah, of course,' Hodja said, `just wait here a minute and I'll fetch it.'

When Hodja came back to the door with the cauldron, the neighbour noticed that there was a small pot in it.

`What is this?'

`Well, neighbour, congratulations, your cauldron gave birth to a baby pot.' said the Hodja.

The neighbour, incredulous, yet delighted, thanked the Hodja, took his cauldron and the new little pot, and went home.

A few weeks after this incident, one day The Hodja came again, asking to borrow the cauldron. The neighbour didn't even hesitate and lent Hodja the cauldron with pleasure. However, once more it was taking the Hodja forever to return it back. The neighbour had no choice but to go asking for it again.

`Hodja Effendi, are you done with the cauldron?'

`Ahh neighbour, ahh' bemoaned The Hodja, `I am afraid your cauldron is dead.'

`Hodja Effendi, that's not possible, a cauldron cannot die!' exclaimed the disbelieving neighbour. But Nasreddin Hodja had his answer ready.

`My dear fellow, you can believe that it can give birth, why can't you believe that it can also die?'

Nasrudin was lying on his couch with his eyes closed. His brother-in-law went up to him and asked, "Are you asleep?" "Why do you ask?" Nasrudin replied. "I was wondering if you could loan me three hundred dollars," said the other. "Well," answered Nasrudin, "let's go back to you your fist question--'Am I asleep.' The answer is yes, I am

A philosopher made an appointment with Nasrudin to have a scholarly discussion. When the day came, the philosopher dropped by Nasrudin's house as planned. However, Nasrudin wasn't home. The philosopher angrily took his pencil out of his pocket, wrote "Asshole" on Nasrudin's door, and then left

Nasrudin finally came home later and saw this. He quickly realized that he had missed his appointment, and he darted off to the philosopher's house.

"Forgive my error," Nasrudin told the philosopher when he got there. "I totally forgot about our appointment today. But when I got home and saw that you had written your name on my door, I came here as fast as I could."

Nasrudin was talking to his neighbor one day, and the neighbor lamented, "I'm really having trouble fitting my family in our small house. It's me, my wife, my three kids, and my mother-in-law-all sharing the same cottage. Mulla Nasrudin, you are a wise man. Do you have any advice for me?"
"Yes," replied Nasrudin. "Do you have any chickens in your yard?
"I have ten," the man replied.
"Put them in the house," said Nasrudin.
"But Mulla," the man remarked, "our house is already cramped as it is."
"Just try it," replied Nasrudin.
The man, desperate to find a solution to his spacing woes, followed Nasrudin's advice, and paid him another visit the next day.
"Mulla," he said, "things are even worse now. With the chickens in the house, we are even more pressed for space."
"Now take that donkey of yours," replied Nasrudin, "and bring it in the house."
The man bemoaned and objected, but Nasrudin convinced him to do it.
The next day, the man, now looking more distressed than ever, came up to Nasrudin and said, "Now my home is even more crowded! Between my family, the chickens, and that donkey of mine, there is barely any room to move."
"Well then," said Nasrudin, "do you have any other animals in your yard?"
"Yes," the man replied, "we have a goat."
"OK," said the other. "Take the goat in your house too."
The man once again raised a fuss and seemed anything but eager to follow Nasrudin's advice, but Nasrudin once again convinced him to put yet another animal in the house.
The next day, the man came up to Nasrudin and exclaimed, "My family is really upset now. Everyone is at my throat complaining about the lack of space. Your plan is making us miserable."
"OK," Nasrudin replied, "now take all of the animals back outside."
So the man followed his advice, and the next day, he dropped by Nasrudin and remarked, "Mulla-your plan has worked like a charm. With all the animals out, my house is so spacious that none of us can help but being pleased and uncomplaining."

>The Prophet smiled and said, “In Allah’s eyes, your value is high.”

These are fucking great son keep it up