Why be a nationalist?

In a society where you can live in almost any country you desire, where you can learn about the rest of the world and their cultures with the internet, and where you don't have much fear of outside military threats if you live in a first world country, why would you be nationalist?

fear of interior threats, simple as that. Are those fears justified? It depends on what you feel is just. Hence diverging opinions on the subject.

>old cultural symbols die out because of corporations building efficient buildings
>muh skyscrapers

When you deregulate the definition of a demographic eventually the things that make a specific culture unique will be destroyed as it mixes with other cultures.

You want your culture, language and people to endure and not see them overcome by foreign influence. I'm not a xenophobe and I still appreciate other cultures.

this,
does anyone have that comic about man travelling over the world and become appreciative of different culture and when he live in multicultural cities he became hateful? used to be posted alot

While I think nationalism is retarded, having some pride in your country and culture is perfectly fine.

Most people are stupid and need a cause to run under. Nationalism is a useful tool to control the masses.

*tips*

+1 Upvote

Define nationalist?
I love my nation because I love the variety of the world and greatly value my nation's uniqueness in it.
I don't hate others, I love my own, is all.

thank you user

wtf I'm prepared to kill different people now!

>In a society where you can live in almost any country you desire
What society are you talking about? Do you really believe that you can magically just enter any country willy nilly?
>why would you be nationalist?
Because caring about your nation over everything else is a very efficient psychology of a citizen in a nation.

This is nonsense, only white people believe in multiculturalism, the dominant minority group in a multicuck country would become the majority group then enforce racist laws against the non majority which is what middle easterners do today.

America will become Mexico 2.0
Europe will become a war torn shithole due to so many islamic ethnicities that hate eachother on it.

>where you don't have much fear of outside military threats if you live in a first world country
He says with germs the way they are now. There are less and less safe nations first world or otherwise.

As to why, because it is a descriptive collective which is the healthiest and comfiest type of spook. If you're going to get spooked you might as well do it in a way that isn't entirely self destructive.

Generally nationalism has been what has destroyed local cultures and replaced them with national cultures which have been steadily made more homogenous.
Nations do not protect local cultures, they create national cultures, most often on the destruction of local cultures.

Maybe he doesn't fit in anywhere because he is a loser without any identity of his own.

Hello.

People get often confused with chauvinism and nationalism. Nationalism means loving your country and culture, but respecting other cultures. In the other hand, chauvinism means loving your country, but disrespecting other cultures and treating them as inferior. The guy in the comic was not nationalist, he was actually chauvinism. KKK, Hitler and any other ''hateful'' things are proving it. If he was nationalistic, he wouldn't have those things, he would have his national flag, his folk outfit and any other kind of traditional things, like the model of a traditional house.

Easier to take pride in other people's achievement than doing something yourself.

yes, but most people aren't aware of that, compared to any other ideology, nationalism is the closest thing you have that preserve any sort of identity whatsoever

>you have to unilaterally love other cultures and nations regardless of your opinion or the content of their beliefs and behaviours or else your not a real nationalist
Begone spectre and spook anons no longer. Further, when your logic is already twisted don't go throwing no true scottys into the mix.

That's because many of our nations are too large.

i meant minimally rspecting other cultures

Be. Gone. You owe no collective any respect. Have no inherent hate for the concept of other cultures is what you SHOULD be saying but you aren't. On the one hand that sounds semantic but it isn't. In practice what I said means you should judge other cultures and your own on their merits as you percieve them. By your definition you are required to give groups respect they didn't earn.
>oh what a horrible attrocity
>don't say that, they're just different from you, give them some respect
Observable reality > structure of abstraction

talk normally

>words like inherent and semantic are too hard for me
You cannot be serious. I hope that you aren't the guy I was responding to, because that would be a pretty limp way to end this.

yes, skyscrapers are created not because they are more efficient, but because it is an attempt to cleanse culture because muh aesthetics are bad. Do you really think ditching old shit because the new concepts are better is a recent thing? God, you people are fucking stupid.

not the guy, I agree with your opinion, but you have to be so detached from the reality to see why people suddenly become nationalistic, its not a spook if the belief is beneficial to you

Well they are created because they are both efficient and because they want to cleanse the previous culture and replace it.

It is literally a form of creative destruction.(Google it).