Daily reminder that the correct term is "Eastern Roman Empire"

Daily reminder that the correct term is "Eastern Roman Empire".

>EASTERN
>HELLENIC
>DESPOTATE

>550 AD
>No Ostrogoths in Italy

not roman

Byzantine Greek Eastern """Roman""" """"""""Empire""""""""

thats cool op but where did all the roman people go tho? how come they were replaced by greeks? were they genocided?

They were miscegenated.

>ORIENTAL
>DIVINE
>CONFEDERATION

The main point is a continuous line of succession. Culturally speaking, the Empire represented the entire surviving Greco-Roman world. Everything outside of it fell to Islam and barbarism. It represented a classical Mediterranean civilization that simply no longer existed in the west.

Remember that the majority of classical philosophy discussed here is Greek. Remember that before Rome even controlled Italy, the Greeks had already conquered the world; the Greeks already had an empire. You are casting aspersions against the Medieval Romans because they are actually as you say, Greek?

What are you trying to say? That they were masquerading as the lesser when they were the better?

Rome was Rome. Period. Any other claim comes from wannabes looking for their former glory.

So Rome ended when they moved the capital to revenna?

They were still there.
Okay so 'Roman' wasn't an ethnicity. It was citizernship (post the edict of...Calcarcus? The spelling escapes me) granted to all free men in the empire.

The east was still ethnically, and linguistically greek yes, bar latin in the administration (till the 6th/7th centuries AD). But they were still Romans.

It's like...say America owned Canada. And owned it for hundreds of years, the former Canadians all becoming American citizens, just with some canadian cultural bits.

Now imagine that said America gets invaded/falls apart from corruption over and over again. And they end up splitting it up administration wise, between the old corrupt as shit and economic backwards heartland, and the new canadian lands. Canadians would still be americans.

Now imagine the southern administration falls, collapses in on itself. The American Government only exists in Canada then. It tries to reclaim the old Heartlands, but attacks and internal issues make the attempts stall.

Then imagine some, say, Mexican Warlord comes about, conquers a bunch of migrant community warlords in the Old USA and declares he's now the US President.

Of course the originals are the proper americans, it'd be insane to say otherwise.

It's likewise here.

like said, there are no ethnic Romans, just like how there are no ethnic Americans. the Roman Empire was a patchwork of tribes and people-groups that all swore allegiance to the state, paid taxes, and served in the legions, there were no Roman genocidal campaigns and repopulation efforts outside of Carthage. And why would you want to kill off entire peoples if you could make them pay taxes and serve in your army instead?

Rome existed as an idea of the state it originated from, moreso than the city itself. Hence why Rome never stopped being the Roman Empire even when their capital was Ravenna, Milan (Mediolanum I think was the name of the time?), and Constantinople.

Even with the culture and location of the Roman empire changed to greek, the citizens of those lands still called themselves Roman citizens and still followed the law code of Rome that stood standing until the middle of the 15th century.

That's what I said, "Greek Kingdom"

They referred to themselves simply as the Roman Empire. The various other names and qualifiers are subsequent inventions.

Well, the Byzantine screeching is justified. The pope shat on the empire when he went and crowned Charlemagne emperor out of spite for the Byzantines, effectively nullifying the legitimacy of the imperial line that wtill reigned in Constantinople since the move of the capital of the Empire there, and saying, "lol, fuck the old ways, we are the empire now".

>Of course the originals are the proper americans, it'd be insane to say otherwise.
Why? America is just an idea. If Canada has been American for centuries, it's no different than Maine or Colorado or Alaska.

....yes, that's the point?
The 'originals' in that example being the remaining americans in Canada, not the new warlords going 'Look at me. I'm the president now.'

I think user was bamboozled by the ambiguous use of "original", as was I.

That is a VERY useful simile, though

Actually it's just Roman Empire.

Firstly, there was never strictly a legal separation of the Roman Empire in the first place. It was only ever de facto rather than a de jure division.

Secondly, the Gothic king returned the diadem and crown of the Western Roman emperors to the emperor at Constantinople, formally proclaiming an end to official imperial rule in the west.

It was always the Roman Empire.

Things change.

>not in rome
>no romans there
>don't speak roman language
>don't follow roman religion
>"""roman"""

ok

>Romans had an idea of ethno-linguistic belonging

threadly reminder that the eastern romans did more damage to rome's heartland than the barbarians ever did

No, because it's not even Eastern.
>Balkan
>Hellenic
>Despotate.

How come autists insist on correcting people that it's the "Eastern Roman Empire" but no one goes around informing people that it's not the "Mughal Empire" it's the Mongol Empire?

Because there aren't enough Muslim Indians around to belabour the point. Meanwhile there a lot of EasternRomanEmpireaboos.

There's at least a decent number of Mongolboos though.

I guess it's because the Mongols have meaningful accomplishments on their own.

why people even like the Byzantine Empire?

>Greek culture and language
>not an essential part of the Roman Empire

>Take a later Roman Empire class in college
>Get slightly mad inside whenever he says Byzantine
>Realize that scholars accept both, and that theyre both the same thing
As long as youre not trying to argue against the empire being Roman, both names are fine.
If you are, go educate yourself and come back

*sacks you*