ITT: Things that trigger your Veeky Forums

ITT: Things that trigger your Veeky Forums

>Applying "Goodies" and "baddies" to nations of history

Celts were the good guys, Romans were the bad guys
Protestants were the good guys, Catholics were the bad guys

(The obligatory)the civil war had nothing to do with slavery. Really triggers my autism.

It didn't, it was about states rights

like pottery

another one is the
"WHY DIDN'T X FIGHT AGAINST THE NAZI, THEY WERE LITERALLY EVIL"

I think the fact that people didn't know about concentration camps until very late into the war is very little known.

>Turks are bad guys

>concentration camps
literally just temporary jails

>gas chambers

literally just temporary bins

There were no gas chambers

(insert /pol/ thing here)

Why is Veeky Forums pseudo-/pol/ ?

Crossboarding /pol/ scum.

T. Perfidious Albion

Black and White morality, Imperialism was evil, the past was an irredeemably awful place to live in tell X period.

Applying modern nationalities to group of people who lived way before that concept of a nations exiset. Like
>Charlemagne was French\German

Thinking that some recent standards alway existed. Such as "men were always the bread earners". Fucking shit, the concept of bread earning was basically non-existent before the industrial revolution, when wage labor became widespread. Before that people (the large majority being agrarian) mostly made their own food and belongings and men and women both had to participate in production.

He was Germanic though.

Implying that the Church having dominace over Europe during the middleages was a bad thing and that Christianity has held the world back. Shit bothers me.

Also that Germans didn't cause WWI
>Muh Archduke
Like, no bitch, that was just the trigger, fuckin Germany was begging for a war with the amount of war industry it built up in the late 19th and early 20th.

Going to war over these camps would be an even more memetic casus belli than what was actually used for WWII.

That's a pop history thing and some Germaboos.
I don't think anybody seriously disagrees with a Fisher-like view of German views for WWI.

He belonged to the Germanic Frankish tribe but he spoke Latin most of the time. Culturally he was more of a Western Roman than anything else.

>Implying nations don't have different values
>Implying some values are not better than others
Fuck off moral relativist.

Of course history is complicated and most of it falls in the grey areas, but some nations have objectively had a more positive impact in world affairs than others, and constitute examples of good governance.

>The French Revolution was """bad"""

>Implying Nations are moral actors.
>Implying Nations are Real Objects.

States are actors.
States are embodied with the values of those who create them and rule them.

>States are actors.
Point me to an action taken by a state independent of human involvement.

>Missing the point this hard
States have morality and values precisely because they are composed of people.

They represent the collective will of several people.

>the Late Roman Republic was the only bit of Roman history worth bothering with because i've seen Rome, Spartacus and i'm basically a massive pleb

>States have morality and values precisely because they are composed of people.
Yeah, and I'm asking you to demonstrate it.

>They represent the collective will of several people.
And has this collective will ever acted independently?

Charlemagne was Roman

fucking retard
notion that "women can work the same as men" itself is the most "recent standard" as you can get

housework before invention of things like washing machine and sliced bread was a full-time job
women were expected to help out during harvest and such, but they weren't doing the same work/jobs as men

The biggest trigger ever is applying modern day standards to past leaders, societies or events.

Pic related is the biggest fucking offender of all time.

>implying a peasant's hut required the same amount of housework as modern homes

They used to have one or two rooms, dirt floors, people slept on straw matrasses and own about two sets of clothes. Do you really think it was a full time job to clean and maintain this?

Obviously women did different tasks than men but the concept of housework and work wasn't really separate. Is feeding and milking the cow housework or regular work when you are a full time farmer?

People don't realize that work in historic agrarian societies basically meant direct self-sustaining, not a career where you earn money to create the lifestyle you want.

Spookposting.

Stirner's philosophy is so much more nuanced than that stupid meme, and now because of it, whenever someone brings him up, I wind up having to dispel the meme and actually explain the ideas behind it rather than just defending the basic idea of the philosophy.

>implying there aren't historical baddies
Russia
China
Muslims
Africa

well, if you go that far in history, you are right
I was talking about closer to industrial pre-industrial sort of life (imagine Amish), you are talking more about medieval sort of life

>not applying good/evil to certain groups.

It's useful for a society to set distinctions when it comes to good and bad ideas. There's no point in being ultra-objective assholes.

I don't watch him, but I can say I agree the practice is annoying. Slavery is a big one people like to call America black for. Literally everyone else was doing it and had been for thousands of years, is historical context meaningless to you?

>x figure from the past was a racist/sexist
I actually don't mind this that much anymore because I learned that I can use it to teach people why objectivity matters and how morality is derived.

>B..But come on, they must have known that slavery was evil!
>[Insert historical figure] had slaves/was sexist/was racist!
Exactly.

>Implying some values are not better than others
how can you possibly quantify that

Afrocentrism. I take the b8 every fucking time, and I don't give a shit.

This but it all presupposes that the types of work available on a farm aren't better suited to each gender. Men are better at heavy lifting and strenuous physical labor, while women might be better at taking care of the animals and repairing the machinery with their tiny hands. Or some shit.

Germany
Germanics in general

They knew about concentration camps, what wasn't known was what the death camps or the scale of them

Using the word Roman "Empire" any time before 27BC.

I love how people on Veeky Forums seem to think John Green is considered a hugely influential academic and not just a teen author who makes youtube videos for high school.

This one's a bit grey, as empire can mesn a system of government, but also a power which rules over tributaries or colonies. For example, France in 1900 was a republic, but there was still a French empire.

But yes, generally if you're using the term Roman Empire you're implying after Augustus came to power.

>makes youtube videos for high school

Yes and now the future generations will grow to believe in his version of history. Like it or not he is somewhat influential in a way

The Confederacy was far more centralized you retarded memer

Mate he was from Belgium

The Eternal Anglo.

>AHEM

Sauce of that pic? Is this a Veeky Forums edit or is some dixieboo really this autistic?

America

Spot the Anglo

>he was from a certain country 1000 years before that country existed

Russia? Pretty much the ultimate good guys until 1917.

When someone thinks the word Asian can mean only slant eyed yellow people and gets confused when someone says that Afghans, Pakis or Arabs are Asians. Same with Africa and black people, it's usually retarded Americans who do this shit.

>russia
saved us from napoleon
>china
gave us chinese food
>muslims
no muslims, no crusades. an enemy is always necessary
>africa
egypt

>saved us from napoleon

Well since we're already doing the stupid good vs. bad shit...

>Napoleon was the bad guy

Triggered.

t. Froggot

t. perfidious shopkeeper

I'm a Russian.

i never said he was bad. i just don't like french in general...

And l'm not a frog.

But you being Russian is even worse. You sold out to that perfidious shopkeeper, sent hundreds of thousands to their deaths, and even burned down Moscow. And for what? Just so he could get fat of trade.

Get with the program, we're talking good vs. bad.