Why didn't Churshill accept Hitler's peace offers after Britain and France had lost in 1940...

Why didn't Churshill accept Hitler's peace offers after Britain and France had lost in 1940? Were there any attempts at peace talks? I mean, what hope did Britain seriously have at that point that they could still win? Were they placing all their bets on Hitler possibly attacking Stalin in the distant future?

The same reason Britain refused to play ball with Napoleon, the idea of a European superpower that's not them is ludicrous and frightening.

but what hope did britain have at the time of winning the war? France was lost, Poland was lost, the low countries and scandinavia belonged to hitler. Italy, Spain (neutral) and Russia were Hitler's allies.

Was Churchill going to launch an all out assault on the european mainland on his own? Unlikely. What hope did he have?

America

USSR.

Churchill hated Germany with a passsion. Even since the days of World War 1. Churchill would never accept any peace offerings.

Why would he? Fighting Hitler was much better than peacefully acctepting the terms and becoming a German vassal.

This, plus the peace would ultimately be broken, likely by Germany.

Why would the peace be likely broken by Germany?

Hitler wouldn't have wanted Britain to be a German vassal though, he just wanted to end the war at that point.

Basically these two. Churchill's plan was to basically be a thorn in Hitler's side and slowly needle away at him until the USSR and Germany inevitably came to blows and Roosevelt managed to get America into the war.

Use your brain here, Anonymous.

No use yours.

Actually he wanted to unite with France and Britain and take on the USSR and end communism.

A good war is better than a bad peace.

I am.

>a bad peace
seeing the events that came after I'd say that it resulted in a bad peace

>Why didn't Churshill accept Hitler's peace offers after Britain and France had lost in 1940?

Because Hitler had broken his word numerous times in the past 5 years, some of them with bilateral treaties with the UK itself (Go look up the Anglo-German naval treaty). His word wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

> Were there any attempts at peace talks?

There was Hess's unofficial little one, but nothing significant.

> I mean, what hope did Britain seriously have at that point that they could still win?

Very little. However, Germany also had pretty much 0 chance that they could strike decisively at the UK, so the British could afford to wait.

Churchill was not a very clever man, also Brits are notoriously stubborn and arrogant, Hitler could have bombed every building in the damn island and the Brits still would have just lived in bunkers or ruins just to stick one up to the old Adolf while chanting god save the queen or some rubbish

> Hitler wouldn't have wanted Britain to be a German vassal though
Yes, he did. The Nazis planned to take over the British Empire's fleet and ship the Nelson column to Germany. If that doesn't scream VASSAL to you that I don't know what does.

t. Unironic Vichy France supporter

He hated him and what his ideology represented (although his own personal track record aint all that hot)

He also correctly surmised that America would always have their back and the Russian German war will occur sooner rather than later.

Brits, brainwashed from birth to praise the Queen, hate the French, hate nazi scum Germans, the unruly Americans, the Irish, the Scots, the Danish, the Swedish and the Russians
Don't you have a crumbling country to put out of its misery?

>I mean, what hope did Britain seriously have at that point that they could still win?

Time, the English Channel, and an intact armed forces

France is doing just fine my man.

I meant your own brexit country m8, enjoy the after effects of the leave on your economy

Why would he accept peace? To wait until Hitler settles his continental issues and has enough resources for invasion through the channel?

What? I'm French you pretentious Kraut.

Kraut? I'm Finnish you baguette munching surrender monkey.

Why would Churchill surrender when Hitler has no possible means of winning the war?

>what hope did Britain seriously have at that point that they could still win?
>but what hope did britain have at the time of winning the war?
Are you stupid or something? You already know the outcome. Clearly whatever he was thinking it worked

Because my Wehraboo/Naziboo fantasy demands it. Germany HAS to win, otherwise we're in a shit Europe plagued by brown people and Jewish Cultural Marxism!

You got that right.

Yup, we are.

Greece