Is it actually considered poor form to have one of these as decoration...

Is it actually considered poor form to have one of these as decoration, or is this just a case of people getting offended on behalf of Buddhists?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=10084L3Pqsc
youtube.com/watch?v=JdUFqkX2d6I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I get a giggle anytime I see anything buddha related. The guy literally said not to worship him.

You can use him as a symbol to represent something (usually peace and inner tranquility) without worshiping him as a literal God.

It's another case of virtue signaling.

You can show how awesomely SJW you are by complaining about ridiculous bullshit like this.

What if you have it because it makes you happy and brings positive thoughts, and not because of idolatry?

Having it would only be an issue if your religion strictly prohibits idolatry, that is, Judaism and Islam.

Buddhists wouldn't be offended by you owning such a statue.

>The guy
Not every Buddha statute is a statue of Siddhartha Gautama

>symbols mean worship
t.protacuck.

>can own a menorah
>but not a statue
Me thinks your confused about the meaning of idolatry, user.

A menorah isn't a representation of a God or a human, and it's not like the Jews think that it was destroyed for their sins or anything.

An idol is literally an image you dipshit, aka A STATUE. It comes from pagan times when they thought the gods actually inhabited the idols. A menorah is just a lamp

>ITT: salty menorah worshiper.

Buddhists couldn't give a shit about it, It's feminists who will bitch about "muh cultural appropriation" and call you a racist, even if you are a Buddhist.

No one would give a shit.
I personally dislike the kind of art style of these buddha heads or bodies. Looks like cheap third world sweatshops knockoffs even when they are genuine ancient statues.

/pol/ please go

if you went outside you'd know every new age woman and their momma has some "cultural" mass produced knick-knack from earthbound in their living room

My mom has a shit-ton of Buddha statues and knick-knacks all over her house. She's pretty liberal and considers herself a Buddhist but she's about as "Buddhist" as a white, suburban, American mom can be.

Buddhist statues don't make much sense to me though. They seem more permanent than the temporary art that monks produce.

Its often white trash people who has that shit. My mom is pretty trashy and she has buddha statues, dream catchers , Ying Yang etc and she literally know nothing of it. Why do trashy people do this?

Tell me about temporary art please.

Tibetan monks make sand mandalas. After their completion the monks wipe away the intricate designs they spent weeks making. The construction and destruction of the mandala symbolizes the transitory nature of the universe,

Here's a better picture.

Is it considered ok to atleast take a picture to save each of these? or is the point that it gets destroyed without trace?

I honestly don't know, The monks in the pictures seem to be ok with it, as well as the Dalai Lama.

Here are some videos I found if you want to see the process:
youtube.com/watch?v=10084L3Pqsc
youtube.com/watch?v=JdUFqkX2d6I

Its a pretty bit signature here in Australia of lower middle class white women to have these statues everywhere throughout their house.

That, prayer flags and images of frangipanis

Its to do with Bali being a cheap as fuck holiday destination where JetStar (the budget airline) constantly has sales to

They go to a day spa there and treat that as their enlightenment, then go to Big W when they get back and buy all the statues they can

Yeah but unlike silly menorah or torture instrument worshippers, Buddhists don't pray to their fucking statues because they're smart enough to not confuse images of a thing with the thing itself.

Yeah this. The amount of prayer flags I see in eastern Sydney is fucking disturbing considering how little anyone knows about Buddhism. Literally of the prayer flag owners I've talked to were unaware that Buddhism exists outside of "Indian flavour" and "Tibetan flavour".

I found much the same when I was living in New York, so I guess the whole SJW thing is an overcompensation for some liberals who've realised the general publics lack of education on Buddhism.

East Asians have nothing against having these as decorations. Maybe jungle Asians do.

It still seems stupid to have statues of things you have literally no cultural or historical connection to in your house..

Urban environments make white liberals lose their shit trying to find a culture to glob on to.

>it still seems stupid to do what you want to
Not gonna make it

Not so much in poor taste as bad taste.

>idolatry is widely practiced in east and Southeast Asia
>most Buddhist are syncretic with local beliefs
user, I...

My grandmother had a bunch of fat laughing buddhas throughout her house. Its just an easily recognizable symbol of peace and happiness to most.
She passed away and I grabbed all the fat buddhas because they make me think of her.
Thanks for reading my blog

Indians and asians around me neighborhood put such statues in their yards so I'd say no.

but pic is.That's not fucking quanyin.