History Repeats

How do the current political happenings relate to historical situations? What has happened when an entire half of the population got silenced, mocked and assaulted, made the enemy by the other half that is openly hostile, when innocent people are ruined and assaulted simply for who they agree with politically.

I know it can't be good, but what happens when the majority of people are openly targeted and harassed by the minority?

I can think of a few points in history when conditions were similar, but how does Veeky Forums think the modern world will stack up? What parts of the past can we look at to get an idea of how the future will play out?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KlckKwA85Qw
thehill.com/homenews/315446-man-shot-at-milo-yiannopoulos-protest
politico.com/story/2017/01/milo-yiannopoulos-protest-shooting-233962
nypost.com/2017/01/21/man-shot-during-protest-of-speech-by-far-right-breitbart-writer/
youtube.com/watch?v=E6gl-iHb1gA
youtube.com/watch?v=lihlDBhddzo
youtube.com/watch?v=99jC4l4tIpQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

To my understanding, on a metaphysical level, there is nothing in life that is truly balanced. Balance can only be found in death/non existence, it is the only thing that is consistent, incorruptible(though even this can be challenged... after all, we exist, don't we?), perfect. Though of course it isn't even these things, as it is... nothing.

In the same way, history repeats itself because in trying to find balance, we are constantly to-ing and fro-ing, never able to meet the mark in the very centre. Our memories are too short and our thinking not broad enough, as a people.

Check this out though, in the lease up to the US election (though it still holds true) a friend reminded me of On The Peace by Isocrates. History from a couple millennia ago still repeating itself.

Bump, this is one of the most interesting threads to come up in ages.

Honestly? A lot of it has to do with economic factors. The other issues of Rural vs Urban and similar such tribal posturing will always be there, but when you have tons of people who have been left in the cold first by automation and then by outsourcing you get these sorts of fights.

The leftists who are attacking trump supporters are basically just spoiled children mad that people who disagree with them are speaking their minds, the trump supporters by contrast wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the blatant incompetence and greed of prior administrations.

That was a nice read and I can't think of any part of it that isn't true. Thanks for sharing, I'll check out On The Peace, seems like it's worth a read.

How do you feel about the current state of affairs in the world? I don't need to look far to see that shit is brewing around the world and if you agree with the pages you shared I'm eager to hear your opinion.

True, but I don't see how the antifas can last much longer if they keep on their path since it's the Trump supporters that are not only the majority but also pack the heat in this situation. Do you know of any historical parallels that I can read up on?

I guess I try to not take all of it on at once. I'm very much into individualism and even anarchism. I suppose in a sense I numb myself to the world's and other people's problems or sufferings because I can only deal with so much of it and help myself at the same time.

Yes it's brewing and may yet become worse but we as a species adapt or die. If you have an understanding of the world in which you live and make efforts to better your situation then you're playing the game as best you can, which is what everyone is doing.

I think to the words of Emerson in Self Reliance - "do not tell me, as a good man did to-day, of my obligation to put all poor men in good situations. Are they my poor? I tell thee, thou foolish philanthropist, that I grudge the dollar, the dime, the cent, I give to such men as do not belong to me and to whom I do not belong. There is a class of persons to whom by all spiritual affinity I am bought and sold; for them I will go to prison, if need be; but your miscellaneous popular charities; the education at college of fools; the building of meeting-houses to the vain end to which many now stand; alms to sots; and the thousandfold Relief Societies; — though I confess with shame I sometimes succumb and give the dollar, it is a wicked dollar which by and by I shall have the manhood to withhold."

Also, are we not arguably contributing the most to society when we do our best to ensure that we are strong individuals, coming together when necessary? When the plane is going down, secure your own mask before that of the child next to you.

>>True, but I don't see how the antifas can last much longer if they keep on their path since it's the Trump supporters that are not only the majority but also pack the heat in this situation.
True. but you forgot to mention that the Trump supporters have the sympathy of a large part of the police and military as well.

>>Do you know of any historical parallels that I can read up on?
Honestly? I dunno, maybe during the Roman era whenever it was the slave trade really started to take off, another possibility in part is Germany during the weimar republic, but both of these are rather inexact.

Our current situation is kinda unique in certain ways, the world hasn't been as heavily interconnected as it is now in terms of trade and what we are going to have with automation is the very real possibility of permanent 20 to 30 percent unemployment 40 years from now. The left being comprised of arrogant assholes isn't new though sadly.

>one of the most interesting threads to come up in ages
I wholeheartedly agree, but I feel like this thread is just /pol/ light.

>For the purpose of determining what is history, please do not start threads about events taking place less than 25 years ago.
>Discussion of modern politics, current events, popular culture, or other non-historical topics should be posted elsewhere.
I'll thread carefully then, and do my best to not have this thread taken down, but I can't resist asking this question :
What do you enlightened people of Veeky Forums think about the influence of someone like Vladimir Putin in today's geopolitics?
Russian pro-Trump hackers?
Marine LePen in France getting $40 millions from Russian banks?
Sorry if these questions do not belong here, but /pol/ is no help, and I am truly uncomfortable with this (I'm French, btw).
Thanks.

Ah you see to me it's philosophy, that's my speciality of the humanities so I suppose that's why what I see in it is mostly philosophical discussion.

I don't know enough about Putin to feel confident in commentinbone way or another, but I'd say his presence is necessary in he sense that, just as a professional fighter needs a challenge to determine just how good they are, so does the west, and putin provides such a challenge.

It's patterens that arise from network topology and dynamics.
>disagreement in a group
>division
>group a disagrees with group b
>group a says something
>this makes group b disagree with group a more
>group b says something
This make group a disagree with group b more
It's a positive feedback loop, idenitiarian politics.
Some people are good at manipulating this kind of behavior divide and conquer
Like the political strategist for the Reagan and trump administrations and the wealth they work for.
Why "liberalS" and "conservativeS" are tearing at eachothers throats rn.
>systems dude
>Networks dood
>patterens due
>loooöops dad
This song is extremely relevant
youtu.be/KlckKwA85Qw

>What has happened when an entire half of the population got silenced, mocked and assaulted, made the enemy by the other half that is openly hostile, when innocent people are ruined and assaulted simply for who they agree with politically.
Violent clapback.

>Trump supporters that are not only the majority
not true btw

>the majority.
>less than 50% of the 53% of the population that voted
'No'

The times keading to the fall of the Roman republic. Age old rules getting broken by both parties to impose their will.

Thanks for the honest reply.
I can see Putin as a big challenge, indeed, the kind of challenge able to kill you if it doesn't make you stronger.

>I can think of a few points in history when conditions were similar
I'm quite interested in what these points would be, user.

>What parts of the past can we look at to get an idea of how the future will play out?
I think we can look at the fall of the Soviet Union, and Putin's rise to power. A power with very few limits.

Think about it :
-former KGB (with the cunning and ruthlessness this implies),
-corrupt (reports go back to the 90's)
-his wealth estimated around $40 billions by the CIA,
-he has been in power one way or another for 18 years now, and visibly not planning to retire any time soon,
-personnal friend and supporter of Donald J. Trump
-now trying to 'help' (read: secure control over) well known French nationalist Marine LePen

Does that ring any bell?
Maybe democracy is not worth fighting for anymore?

>I know it can't be good, but what happens when the majority of people are openly targeted and harassed by the minority?
Are you comparing Trump supporter with bloody Nazis? Really?

Either way he won, and antifa and blm thinks anyone who disagrees with them is a trump supporting nazi.

Considering his picture is anti-communist. I am going to assume that he is a conservative who is upset about the alleged normalization of violence by the media.

Half right, I'm not a conservative but I am not a communist or leftist and therefore I am liable to be targeted by the violence committed by "leftists."

Dude what

Only 26% of eligible voters voted for Trump

>fashy kid this mad that his heroes got bashed

If any violence is being normalized, it's right wing violence. A man was shot and nearly killed for disagreeing with Milo in Seattle, but all the media could talk about was a couple broken windows in DC.

Do you think russia supports those people because they are in control of them? Or because they have similar ideologies and intend to remove sanctions on russia? And both situations aren't that simple either.

Holy shit, I didn't even hear about that. Thanks user.

Are you joking? One example of political violence means they're "normalising" it? Do you know about the leftists hurling bricks at that same event? The shooter's claims that he had been suckerpunched earlier that day and acted in self defence? The guy who got shot was also part of antifa. Maybe the media isn't reporting on it too much because the situation surrounding it is very unclear.

Why not both?
Putin is certainly not a newcomer, and a very competent manipulative bastard, it seems.

See

We're getting too modern for this board, but I'll bite. The event I believe you're talking about is claimed as self defense, while he has no evidence it's not unthinkable that he might be telling the truth, although he handled it the wrong way by running and not turning himself in for awhile.

thehill.com/homenews/315446-man-shot-at-milo-yiannopoulos-protest
politico.com/story/2017/01/milo-yiannopoulos-protest-shooting-233962
nypost.com/2017/01/21/man-shot-during-protest-of-speech-by-far-right-breitbart-writer/

>Yiannopoulos, who spoke at 8 p.m., said in a statement posted on social media: "There was a shooting tonight outside my event at the University of Washington in Seattle, local police have confirmed. A man was taken to hospital with a potentially life-threatening wound to the abdomen. We don't know any more at this time. My prayers are with the victim, whoever he is."

nor·mal·ize
ˈnôrməˌlīz/Submit
verb
past tense: normalized; past participle: normalized
bring or return to a normal condition or state.
"he wants to begin negotiations to normalize relations"

youtube.com/watch?v=E6gl-iHb1gA
youtube.com/watch?v=lihlDBhddzo
"we're supposed to be peaceful, guys, peaceful!!!"
>Demonstrators against Yiannopoulos and President Donald Trump became violent — throwing bricks and paint balloons at police officers and members of the crowd, the network said.
youtube.com/watch?v=99jC4l4tIpQ

The right isn't innocent at all here, but they're not the only violent ones. I don't like nazis, but I can't stand communists.

This

>counting those who can't vote
he obviously meant those who matter in this sense