This is probably a really dumb question but I have to ask

This is probably a really dumb question but I have to ask.

Humans arrived in the Philippines 50,000 years ago. How the hell did they such a large distance back then in their boats? What food did they bring with them? Why were they motivated to cross a sea to which they had no idea what was beyond?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeta_people
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because they got there through Malaysia. That's not a bad distance at all.

So how did they reach places like hawaii and fiji?

During the glacial periods, ocean drops around Taiwan and Malaysia allowed ancient austronesians to cross lands that are today submerged under 400 ft of water.

Okay, thanks. once again, how did they reach isolated islands like Hawaii? And why did humans never begin to inhabit Cambodia until much later?

Continental drift, Hawaii and Fiji were a couple thousand miles closer to mainland Asia back then and also a lot of those islands were connected by land bridges because of the ice age.

I swear you people never paid attention in anything but history class (and some of you not even in that).

But Hawaii was only first reached by humans in 270 AD. There wasn't a landbridge close back then.

by boat. it wasn't settled until around 500- 800 AD by polynesians who had fairly good long distance sailing canoes

Not OP, but joining in because i was always interested in these islands

So the natives in islands in Oceania visited each other? I know they did in Indonesia and Melanesia, but what about Polynesia? Did they seriously regulary sail several hundred km on their shitty rafts with no compass or anything?

How did they pack enough food? What was their motivation to sail across these oceans?

Going to take a leap of faith and assume this isn't bait but continental drift takes significantly longer than a few dozen thousand years to move a plate that far. For reference the oldest of the main Hawaiian islands is 4 million years old and in that time has migrated all of 350 miles. Land bridges and sea level information is correct.

T. Geologist

>50,000 years ago.
>Hawaii and Fiji were a couple thousand miles closer to mainland Asia

Rough calculation shows that you are saying Hawaii moves about half a meter through the ocean every single day.

Bullshit. They didn't have boats then.

>Humas arrived in the Phillipines 50,000 years ago
What? Try 16th century AD.

Only if you see spaniards as people.

They're Europeans so yes.

Even so natives were here much longer.
Even if you don't count chinks or filiponos as humans they still were there at last few dozens thousands years.

No. Don't you ever wonder why fillipinos today aren't hispanic and don't speak spanish?

Because they're too dumb to learn a foreign language?

Resident Asian-migrationaboo ask me anything
Landbrides and boating

>By 50,000 years ago, it is clear that modern humans were capable of long-distance sea travel as they colonized Australia. However, evidence for advanced maritime skills, and for fishing in particular, is rare before the terminal Pleistocene/early Holocene. Here we report remains of a variety of pelagic and other fish species dating to 42,000 years before the present from Jerimalai shelter in East Timor, as well as the earliest definite evidence for fishhook manufacture in the world. Capturing pelagic fish such as tuna requires high levels of planning and complex maritime technology. The evidence implies that the inhabitants were fishing in the deep sea.

Negritos were the world's first seafarers, moken and moklen are their legacy in a way.

This, but they weren't Austronesians. Austronesians arrived by canoes from Taiwan about 2000 BC. The earlier inhabitants were hunter-gatherer bands who looked a lot like New Guineans. Their descendants are still around; en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeta_people

The same is true of other Southeast Asians.

>What was their motivation to sail across these oceans?

Food.

In fact many of Pacific islands were settled only during European epoch (inculding settling by non-european races with help of colonisators).
Easter island is one of most obvious example of bullshit about "native populations" of these regions.