The futility of non-stem intellectualism summarised

Zizek: Speaks multiple languages fluently, extremely familiar with huge amounts of works of art and their analysis, dove head first in to philosophy at a young age and has been a philosophical researcher for many decades, charismatic and funny, strong level of historical and political knowledge, embraces both high and low culture
Chomsky: Probably every STEMfag would admit he has a first rate analytical mind that they would consider extremely intelligent. Extremely good memory. Innovative linguist. Been researching political and societal issues for decades.
You'd have to be a major troll to think they're not highly intelligent. Now let's see the ENTIRE result of their LIFE'S WORK in Humanities / Philosophy / Social Sciences (ignoring chomsky's linguistics stuff).
Zizek: Hegelian and Lacanian BS that sounds so le deep, overdefined bullshitty unfalsifiable politics / society related nonsense.
Chomsky: "This country you think is good has done bad stuff. These countries you barely hear about have had bad stuff happen in them"
Why THE FUCK do people think that non-trivial insights can be gained outside of STEM? It's UN FUCKING BELIEVABLE to think that this could happen. It has NEVER happened.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistics
youtube.com/watch?v=bRCNenhcvpw
youtube.com/watch?v=hUhisi2FBuw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The idea that a statement is only valid when backed by pure logic is self refuting.

All knowlege only makes sense in context

also you quoted two political hacks rather than say a mainstream historian

>ignoring chomsky's linguistics stuff

Just like I'm going to ignore your opinion?

Linguistics is STEM

don't do that mane

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistics

>Linguistics is the scientific[1] study of language,[2]

He's right though.

Oh look, its another "science is clearly superior to philosophy" bait thread. Why are you even here? Why do STEM majors have such a superiority complex?

Chomsky has superior skull shape to Zizek

Chomsky is correct

>Why do STEM majors have such a superiority complex?
Why is it you believe this to be true? Is it because you've seen multiple threads of this sort before? You do realize that empiricism is no basis for Truth, right?

Because they're spergs.

Do you really think STEM is the only important thing in the world?

Yes I see them pretty much all the time, and not just on Veeky Forums but all over Veeky Forums and social media sites and even in real life. Modern society just values science so much higher than philosophy because everyone nowadays is a goddamn materialist. You tell employers your degree is in STEM and they will line up to kiss your ass. I tell people I am a philosophy major and they just fucking laugh. They know that their degrees are more valuable from a socio-economic perspective and they always act like huge dicks about it. Why can't I just study what I love in peace?

Philosophy is the art of bullshitting.

Outside of people writing grammars for random New Guinean languages, the approach to linguistics hasn't been scientific in nearly half a decade.

Sage because this is a repost

What's happened in the past decade

STEM is just a hoop the most complacent and narcissistic psuedo-intellectuals jump through for the sake of social validation.

If STEM majors are so smart then why do they waste their precious life on Earth slaving away for fleeting materialistic pleasantries?

Because they're retards, that's why.

well if they're such retards you should have no problem doing their jobs.

That would imply I'm a retard.
I'm simply too smart to waste my time doing stupid things except posting on Veeky Forums of course.

We all have our vices.

Life is the art of bullshitting

>>be STEM
>>spend your life's work categorising populations of dinoflgellates
>why do ppl think u can get insight out of anything but humanities lmaooo
fuck off retard

>Be humanities
>Spend your life's work studying the effects of transgender relations between summer camp counselors
>Why am I so poor???

>Be STEM
>Read openly available books in spare time when you feel like
>Gain an understanding of humanities
>Have money

A young, fresh and cherry STEM student walks into the halls of a sterile English department with his head held high. Stern and with a proud heave, he bellows through the cavern at the beanie-sporters scattered through the hall:

"WHAT WOULD YOU RATHER STUDY, HEATHENS?"

Seven fragrant dreadlocked beards spew coffee from their continental gullets. Free-range hens shuffle out a window somewhere.

"WORDS ON A PAGE OR THE FUCKING COSMOS?"

An emergency evacuation is called. Afghan clogs stuff the exit. Native tears are shed. A triad of cauldrons full to brim with boiling kamquat loose their bellies with a fever on the frantic patrons all around. The shelves are raided. Looters stuffing oriental knapsacks leave no kitsch untouched.

From the roaring depths of chaos in the halls, through sheets of stirring fire: calm and rigid comes up looming in the haze a stoic English professor, tailored suit to keen perfection, forty thousand pages full of Marx and further reading in an unstained palm.

Expressionless, with firm phenomenologic hold on mind and body, he whispers to the STEM student, currently engaged in evil laughter:

"What would you rather study, child?"

The student is hushed. Voiceless. The man has snared his subjectivity entirely.

"Nature - or the nature of nature?"

Of an instant all the place is silent. In the corner, captive underneath the groins of several existential theists, one brave soul begins to clap. Soon the place is flooded with cheer.

The next day, all sciences were cancelled nationwide. The shells of disenfranchised rockets sheltered lonely bohemians everywhere. All was well.

I think he's an anti-Chomsky fanatic and he means the last half century, referring to Chomsky revolutionizing the field. In reality, the field of linguistics has become more scientific as a result of Chomsky's influence. Before Chomsky, it was pretty much just "people writing grammars for random New Guinean languages" . The grammars were basically guidelines for language learning, they didn't have any basis in science. These days linguistics is about using DATA from different languageS to study the properties of language_ as a cognitive capacity.

thats not condescending at all.what if everyone would think like you?

Chomsky's political analysis is much more noteworthy these days that his linguistic work

And you're quite the intellectual, I'm sure

>Zizek
>Speaking English fluently
*thhhhsssisss*

No it isn't, he's literally a genious when it comes to linguistics and a hack when it comes to politics, it's just that his politics is more easily understandable by retarded college kids.

Because they are either in debt or have no life outside of their job.

He is almost solely responsible for a huge paradigm shift in linguistics which took place in the 50s and 60s, and he continues to be overwhelmingly influential in the field to this day. He also made some technical contributions to formal language theory, such as the formalization of context free grammars.

>yfw engineers have ruined everything by calling themselves scientists
>yfw science advocacy is a meme

>STEMfags trying to engage in intellectual discourse

>Conveniently omitting R. Feynmann

>go into humanities
>pretend it makes you the pinnacle of intelligence
>go on a Taiwanese knitting board and say retarded shit like this anyway

when we will get an engineer who celebrates and advocates engineering as a discipline unto itself?
I mean besides this guy
youtube.com/watch?v=bRCNenhcvpw
youtube.com/watch?v=hUhisi2FBuw

>haha im 2 smart 4 that
Get your head out of your ass faggot, you wouldn't last a day in many STEM jobs

Even though I agree with Science not being the end all of it and the Humanities being very valuable, I cant believe I almost made the mistake of pursuing a degree in the humanities instead of STEM, especially in a time when the Humanities are plagued with literal cancer and you can get most of the Great Books free on the Internet.

Everyone should consider getting a degree in STEM or learning a good trade before thinking in studying the Humanities. We dont need any useless intellectuals or University careerists in society. There's a reason the Jews had to learn a trade before starting their studies.

please take literally 1 linguistics course,
they have free ones online

There is an abyss of difference between someone who reads, say, philosophy as a hobby and someone who actually is a proffesional philosopher that produces content.
Its just that people who are not into stem dont usually read stem related stuff because it holds absolutely no relavance to normal life.
Its an autistic assortment of subjects and topics only nessecarly for specific mechanistic proccesses of industry.
Most STEM who are not in research are just robots in the industrial machine, like children during the early industrial age, schooled in operating machines.

Their minds and time harvested in return for the benefit of capitalists which throw them their left overs in the form of a bigger car or a bigger house.

Has anyone hear actually dealt with anything within the STEM field, or do you all just like making things up?

You are the contemproary version of a metal worker or a carpenter.
What you do is simply so autistic and so unconnected with human life that no many can force themselves to do it.
You are the extreme side of a spectrum of capitalist society. The genetically autistic zombie that can force himself to bother with these systems for the sake of the capitalist industrial machine.
You are fine with it cause you were made for it but dont pretned what you are doing is some sacred persuit of truth or anything similair to that.
I mean subjcts like physics as well, the ones pretending they are unraveling the truths of the world not realizing they are simply the tools that implement what philosophers think about.
you are the arm that pulls the lever.

Well for one, you're completely wrong about what I do, but nice try
Two, have you used your humanities knowledge to do anything? Or do you just sit in your room and jerk off over how many philosophy books you've read?

Fucking kek

Science is natural philosophy.

>There is an abyss of difference between someone who reads, say, philosophy as a hobby and someone who actually is a proffesional philosopher that produces content.
the difference being the professional will say whatever they want him to say to get cash.

Most of the things "professional" philosophers talk about is irrelevant to the common man, like the problem of consciousness, qualia, etc.
>Most STEM who are not in research are just robots in the industrial machine, like children during the early industrial age, schooled in operating machines.
And most humanists who are not on tenure are just apocalyptic preachers, posting on blogs and forums like this one.

Don't get me wrong, I think the humanities should be mandatory for everyone, but the real deal that will get bread on your plate is what should be your focus. There's a reason only monks and nobility were trained in the Humanities, they didn't need money, or they could afford to waste it.

It blows my mind that there are still people who unironically believe in Communism after the entire thing has been completely and utterly torn apart in theory and practice.

Honestly what I will say is that you are free to live your life and study in peace just don't expect to gain any material (money) for your knowledge. If the knowledge in of itself is good enough than you are fine.
Likewise STEMFAGS (myself included) should learn not to validate our own life choices by sitting on people who chose different paths than us.

I will say that was written very. Your issue is that you lack knowledge, so to make up for it you over generalize and rely on stereotypes. 9/10 Troll

>non-trivial insights
thinking these words right here have any kind of axiomatic meaning is the fatal flaw in your viewpoint, I would be embarrassed trying to base an argument in something so subjective. ironically you might know this if you cared for the field of philosophy.

>The le black science man and Richard "Skinwad" Dawkins of the humanities

bill nye has at least some phenomenological sense and a better way of talking than the others, got to give him some credit, even though the quotation demonstrates a degree of ignorance.