Is this true?

Is this true?

Other urls found in this thread:

smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/statue-liberty-was-originally-muslim-woman-180957377/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>inb4 hurr durr fake news

>researchers
Googling something sure takes alot of effort

What is truth?

it was going to be put in a Mediterranean port

but it wasn't a Muslim woman

it's irrelevant anyway

It's false. The idea for the statue came from a Frenchman who wanted to erect a statue in Egypt to commemorate the Suez. However, the Statue of Liberty is meant to depict Columbia/Libertas so it was never meant to be a Muslim woman, but instead an American icon/Roman Goddess.

Jesus fucking Christ

I want the to suffer the fate of dan rather for this shit

Of course it's true, academia says it is

Why has the propaganda machine become so shameless/blatant?

holy shit. I thought this pic was an edit

that's what I was hoping

this is so flagrantly misleading it sickens me

Where is that whore's hijab?

We have only ourselves to blame.

It feels like was just in a coma and waking up into some kind of Bizarro America where everything is just some kind of stereotype thought up in some kind of British sketch comedy show.

it's only that way in the news and internet

I haven't seen anything different in my day to day

smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/statue-liberty-was-originally-muslim-woman-180957377/

It seems that the man who first envisioned the Statue originally wanted to create a veiled Arab woman entitled "Egypt carrying the light to Asia". The Gibbos couldn't afford it after building the Suez Canal, so the idea was repurposed into "Liberty Enlightening the World".

Note that nobody ever intended for the statue in America to be a veiled Arab woman, at least not from what I can tell. Not that I really care, either way.

I hate to admit when Trump is right but the media in general on every side is absolute shit.

yes, it would have been more accurate to say that the idea of a large colossal copper woman statue was first intended to be an Egyptian woman but manifested itself later as libertas

Such typical Veeky Forums shit

How about you actually read the article before getting angry

>ITT: People unable to read.

>Such typical Veeky Forums shit

Now sir, where did you come to that conclusion?

Not NPR

Jesus H Christ not even China is this blatant with propaganda even if it is semi somewhat kinds true.

>(((researchers)))

So in other words, it was never intended to be a a muslim woman since they're two different statues/ideas and it's just CBS/leftists/one person using weaselly language to push a political agenda.

Yes, it's almost as bad as the so called "Bowling Green Massacre". Fucking retards everywhere.

You're joking?
The headline is written precisely that way because they know most people won't read the article.

WE

>write a retarded clickbait headline
>HURR DURR HOW DARE YOU JUDGE US FOR OUR HEADLINES

Who even cares?
It'd be green today all the same.

Such typical nu-male shit

How about they dont make a fucking ridiculous headline

WUZ

Social media destroy our society.

How about you read?

No. The Statue of Liberty is the Goddess Hecate, not some mudslime peasant,

The title is clearly meant to get people to click on what is obvious bait. Even so the writer could have used any other title to the article and have it legitimate; instead he chose a hot topic that has very little to do with the important content of the article simply because it makes people look. To insinuate that the creator of the article did not know exactly what he was doing is ridiculous.
The content of the article is irrelevant in this case, because its another example of "journalism" valuing views and ratings higher than informing the public.

It could be true. It was supposed to stand in the Suez Canal but for some reason Lesseps changed his mind and presented it to the United States.

Egypt couldn't afford it after paying for the canal

or realized that a giant copper statue isn't worth paying for

Seems reasonable.

>propaganda even if it is semi somewhat kinds true

What are you even saying you stupid faggot

They're not lyning, guys. It's just alternative fact :)

*lying

In a way they are since the statue for the Suez wouldn't be the Statue of Liberty™ but another very similar statue in the same pose holding a torch.

>Bowling Green Massacre
wut

oh wait
she was talking about Bowling Green Kentucky

>tfw the most famous statue in your country is an illuminati trap
Bartholdi was a freemason and French masons were buddies with their American pals. He represented a solar deity. The face was actually his brother's.

Yes. Which she said there was a massacre at. As this nice user pointed out, social media has destroyed our society, because we gave retards the ability to say what's on their mind to the general public.

Pic related is Jean-Charles Bartholdi, the sculptor's brother. He was mentally ill, and Frederic took care of him, so he had plenty of time to study his factions.
Next time you look at the statue salute Jean-Charles on his Ishtar clothes.

wtf i love muslims now

I'm always amazed how utterly and bafflingly idiotic the media is, how manipulative and amoral its goals and how profoundly stupid those who believe them are.

The very claim makes no sense whatsoever.

The word ended in 2012 and the internet took over our lives. Now memes have manifested into reality

Especially NPR

It's easy to make the subconscious connection between "terrorists arrested" and "massacre," especially in this day and age, which is very unfortunate.

"Alternative facts" means opinions. Each side holds views which they think of as facts, though the other side would disagree.
When compromise needs to be reached, then, yes, it's acceptable to call these opinions-believed-to-be-facts "alternative facts."

NPR is really bad.
>I was listening to some news panel on NPR the other day.
>They're discussing the Mexican president "cancelling" his meeting with Trump.
>Some woman on the panel gleefully gushes "Score one for Mexico!".
>I switched the station.

It made me rage that this woman was blatantly applauding the actions of a foreign country that is actively hostile to the USA through subversion tactics.

>tl'dr the government shouldn't have as much control over culture. Get rid of PBS and NPR

Very unfortunate, since miscommunication such as this can cause intense problems to both country and countrymen. Hell, wasn't it a month or so ago that Pakistan was getting ready to nuke Israel because of miscommunication. It's only a matter of time before a retard says the wrong thing at the right time, and BAM! War starts and people die.

No, government should have a TOTAL control over society. Otherwise we'll never get rid of libtards.

I doubt it.

So instead we should have regular retards?

Both liberal and libertarians should get the bullet, basically.

And you think conservatives and republicans are not retard as well? Personally, anyone with an IQ lower then 100 should be gassed like the vermin we are first, and then we find the high functioning retards do the same to them and their families.

Government having expanded/total control over society is exactly what leftists want, however, and exactly what conservatives and ordinay people deplore. For you to wish for such, with the intent of dispatching liberals, is for you to encapsulate in one humorous, immediately self-contradictory sentence that you do not understand what it is that you are talking about.

Or perhaps you have in mind fascism, to which possibility it must simply be remarked that politics is not a line, but a circle, with the totalitarianisms of Stalinism and the Third Reich each infinitely close to each other near dead-bottom, being just a hair on the left and a hair on the right of that demarcation, respectively.

What if liberals got control of the government? Too risky.

>typical Veeky Forums shit

Expecting reddit?

The headline was absolutely correct

The designer had wanted to make a statue of an Egyptian woman in a veil, to be placed in Egypt

Instead the concept was modified and sent to the US

>Those mental gymnastics to cover up what was a blatantly stupid thing to say.

>There are people who actually believe this dribble

WE

I'm pretty sure that completely changing the meaning and context of a statue is more than a modification.

Makes me glad that my local "NPR" station literally only plays their early morning programming/Democracy Now, then All Things Considered and the other hours is just in-house music shows. Means I can just avoid it for a few hours, then spend the rest of the time listening to blues or classical.

>i am a cuck