Your Local History

Do you know the history of your city/town/whatever?
For example why does it have that name and the date of its origin.

Likely founded in 997 bc, by Olav Trygvason, although there was likely people living in the area before that. Named Nidaros at first. Was originally the religious centre of Norway.
Has it's name because it's literally the home of "trondere".

In my town in the SE of England there's a brothel here that's been around for 213 years.

[edit]
Winthrop was settled in 1630 by English Puritan colonists as Pullen Poynt (Pulling Point), so named because the tides made hard pulling for boatmen. The present town is named after John Winthrop (1587–1649), second governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony and an English Puritan leader. On April 8, 1630, Winthrop departed from the Isle of Wight, England on the ship Arbella, arriving in Salem in June where he was met by John Endecott, the first governor of the colony. John Winthrop served as governor for twelve of the colony's first twenty years of existence. It was he who decided to base the colony at the Shawmut Peninsula, where he and other colonists founded what is now the City of Boston.

forgot to delete the edit part when i copy and pasted from wikipedia

fucking John Winthrop. disgusting

Yes of course.

he was a god amongst men

The settlement was founded in 1355 by the Teutonic Knights and received town privileges in 1381 from Winrich von Kniprode.

First settlements were created by he Republic of Lucca in 1234, but it free significantly only during the XVIIIth century. The name means "the King's Way" due o the fact the Aureliano Via goes throught t.

A little bit, it was a viking town called "the hall of Odin".

My town is a harbour, and it's named after a sea captain who stayed in the harbour during a storm.

It is a shit town

>Florence
>named after the Italian City
I don't know when it was founded, but it was founded to be a hub on the Tennessee river opposite the Shoals

I'm Plovdiv, Bulgaria
It is one of the oldest (2nd oldest I believe) continuously inhabited cities in continental Europe with the earliest settlement dating from 6000BC on one of the city's seven hills, continuous habitation has been proved to have existed since 4000BC. The next big step of the development of the town came with the Thracians (you know those chaps that the Greeks feared who lived north of the Rhodopi mountains, but in fact they mostly spend their time having wine rituals but I digress). So the Thracians greatly expanded the city to the lowlands between the hills. Then in the 5th century BC came Phillip II of Macedonia father of Alexander the Great and conquered the city. Apparently not suffering from modesty renamed the city to Phillipopolis or Phillipopol depending on the transcription. He also expanded the city and build the first proper city walls. The city was developed according to Hippodamian city plan, which was popular for developing new cities at the time. Blah blah time passes, the Thracians once again reclaim the city it changes names to Pulpudeva and along come the Romans, who immediately after capturing the city immediately got to work on expanding it and made it the capital of the Thracian province. This was in the 1st century AD. The city expanded almost three fold during that period. Romans build aqueducts and sewage serving the whole city. It is reported that the pulation was around 100 000 which is a lot. The walls were expanded and rebuild as well as a proper Roman fortress was build on the very hill where the first settlement 6000 years earlier was. It was really something to see in the day as even the Roman written Lucian remarks ""This town is the biggest and loveliest of all towns. Its beauty shines from faraway..." - continued

The Romans also renamed it Trimontium which basically means the "Three hills", the hills are actually seven but they 4 of them are really close together so from a distance it looks like there are only 3 hills. The Roman empire would eventually split into East and West. The city itself was left within the borders of the Eastern Roman Empire which would later become known as the Byzantine Empire. In 681 the Bulgar invaded the lands of today's northern Bulgaria and after several battles with the Byzantines they established the First Bulgarian Empire. Khan Krum of Bulgaria was the first Bulgarian ruler to conquer Plovdiv that was in 812 AD. The city remained in Bulgarian hands until 971 when it was reconquered by the Byzantines who yet again changed the name back to Phillipopolis. When the majority of the European part of the Byzantine Empire got fucked by the Crusaders of the IVth crusade (the Latin empire), they conquered the city in 1204 AD. In 1207 in his exceptionally successful campaigns of Latin raping Tsar Kaloyan of Bulgaria captured the city twice, but after his death his successor couldn't hold it and it became Latin again. Tsar Ivan Assen II of Bulgaria captured the city in 1225 but lost it again in 1229. In 1263 the city was recaptured by the restored Byzantine Empire and it remained Byzantine until Tsar George Terter II of Bulgaria captured it in 1322 and (you can see the pattern here) lost it in 1323 to the Byzantines. The city was the SURPRISE peacefully surrendered to the Bulgarians in 1344 it remained Bulgarian until the Ottomans Turks came in 1364 and brought and end to both Bulgaria and the Byzantine Empire. The Ottomans renamed the city to Filibe (which means Phillip's town echoing the name given to the city by the Macedonians). The town stayed Ottoman hands for 5 centuries, however in that time it was essential to the Bulgarian national revival and the resistance movement. - continued

The city was liberated in 1878, as it became the capital of the Principality of Eastern Rumelia, and was fully incorporated by in the liberated Bulgaria in 1885, and it's been Bulgarian since. Today you can actually see all of that multi cultaral legacy. The most amazing in the Roman period as a lot of it survives. Almost the entire Roman city and ifrastructure survives 2 meters under the modern street level. Amazing mossaics, the aqueduct which supplied the city with water, Roman stadium 220 meters long (the picture in the first post), a Roman theater (which still hosts perfomances), Parts of the Byzantine walls and deffences, 16-18th century preserved "Old Town" all of those and many many many more things remain. I can post more pictures if you are interested.

Also I am NOT Plovdiv, Bulgaria, I am FROM Plovdiv, Bulgaria.

Does it end in ee?

French trading fort (Fort Duquesne) in a pretty choice location because Its at the convergence of the Alleghany and Monogehela rivers, which becomes the Ohio river. The it became a major industrial (Steel) center in the 19th century. When America started to deindustrialize Pittsburgh didn't collapse like the rest of the rust belt in large part to the top tier Robotics, Music, Medicine and Law schools.

Consistently voted the Least Shit Big City in America.

I live in Montréal. Its name is derived from the small mountain at its center, Mont Royal (Mount Royal), referring to the French king of the time. It was properly established in 1642 as Ville-Marie (City of Mary).

Only ever seen Plovdiv from the windows of a bus but it looked wonderful, now I just want to go asap. You're a lucky guy.

>Pittsburgh
>least shit
Top wow. It's basically Cincy 2.0

Its true flyover.

Pittsburgh is the gateway between civilization and the american inland.

Indianapolis was built specifically to be the capital of its state, Indiana, which is reflected in its name.

>flyover
Stop using retarded coastie libtard terms.

I live in Virginia Beach VA, sight of first landing of the colonists who would later go onto establish the James town settlement near Williamsburg on peninsula. The area became princess anne county, eventually merging with the independent city of virginia beach in the 1950's and absorbing the the county. Theirs a shit ton of history around here 1607 to today, battle of iron clads in the civil war, colonial period, all sorts of stuff. Now we're the largest by population, city in the state of VA, all in all, its a nice place to live.

I live in Dublin, Ireland. I know the name comes from the old Irish "Dubh Linn" (Black Pool/Ford) and that the current city was founded at the mouth of the river Liffey by Danish vikings in the mid-9th century AD. The city was taken by the High King of Ireland, Malachy II, in the early 11th century. It was then taken by the Anglo-Normans under Strongbow in the 12th century and remained the centre of English control in Ireland until the Anglo-Irish treaty in 1921.

To any fellow Dubliners on this board, there's a free exhibition in city hall right now about the history of Dublin. I'd recommend checking it out.

I also forgot to mention that the flag/crest is so old that nobody remembers why those castles are on fire, which I think is kinda cool

Because they were producing weapons for the Uruk Hai

Fuck off, coastal fag.
"""Flyover country""" is the bastion of America, where whites are still the vast majority.

Adding to this, during the 1750's the area had two conflicting claims by the French (who wanted to connect their colony in Quebec with New Orleans) and the Virginian Trading Company (who given the land by King George to pay off a debt).
The way to legitimize claims back then was to build a fort, so the Virginians built Fort Prince George. The French didn't respect the Fort, so they sent in troops and burned it down replacing it with Fort Duquesne and starting the 7 years war.
Pittsburgh was named after Fort Pitt (itself named after William Pitt British prime minister) built after General John Forbes defeated the French. Fort Pitt then went on to be instrimental in Pontiac's rebellion, go into disrepair and be demolished.
(pic related) is the last remnant of Fort Pitt and the oldest structure in the city.

The closest I ever came to living in a place with an interesting history, or much a history at all, was Flint, MI. For obvious reasons I was less than impressed and intrigued by it (they were a small town and then they made carriages and then they made cars and now they don't do much of anything).

what's "trondere"?

People from trondelag.

bump

>tfw from a town in the Midwest
>city was named after a local Indian chief
>our only significant achievements include briefly being "Lumber Capital of the World" and running a German-language newspaper through part of WWII
>not even a unique name because some settlers founded a city in Nebraska named after this one
>incorporated in 1853

Established in 1892 as a town, was a fort for trading since 1795. Not much else really of interest.

is that where they film those creepy rape movies

Grazing land when the Spanish owned California. Wikipedia says that it was popular with prohibitionists and one of the more isolated neighborhoods was popular with the hippies in the 60s but I've never heard this before.

New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, Canada.

We're a small mining settlement of Scots that's consistently been ranked one of the worst places to live in Canada.

Palatinate, Germany. Named after the Palatin, one of the seven hills of Rome. Also the namesake of Paladin, Palace etc.

First the black death wiped everyone out.
Then after a few hundred years of hardship and hunger the Swedes killed everyone.
Got resettled by the swiss, scotts and anyone else they could get to settle this unfertile earth.
Some dude LARP as a knight in the 16th. century tried to take on the whole HRE. It went badly. He, according to legend, got killed by a cannonball while on the shitter.
Then after a few hundred years of beeing the designated battle zone of the Franco-German rivalry it became a part of France proper under Nappy.
After it got "liberated" the nobility fucked us over so much 2/3 of the pop migrated to America, now being the Amish, Mennonites etc.
Then again occupied by France after WW1 and WW2.

Then again some shit to do with the unification, but who cares.

Dumbarton, Scotland

We have a bridge up in the hills that about 50 dogs have jumped off of to their death in about as many years. They 19th century estate next to it is rumored to be haunted.

Founded as a Spanish Mission in 1772 and named after San Luis Obispo de Tolosa. It was founded to aid in supplying Monterey's Mission. It was especially lawless after the Mexican-American war, and lead to the vigilante killing of 7 men, the most lethal in the state's history. Eventually became rancho territory and then diversified in the 1860s after a drought killed a bunch of cattle. Since it was exactly in between LA and San Francisco it was a popular stop and had the world's first Motel.

I've been there. It was nice.

Founded in 1578 by Spaniards in the place of an existing Indian settlement, it was a mining town seeking to get gold, silver and other minerals.

My town was supposedly where the first 7 kings of England were supposedly crowned, giving it its name. There is a stone on which they were alleged to have been ceremonially placed. It's the first crossing point on the river beyond London so was fought over and was held even by the Romans as a staging post, presumably near the old Roman road towards Staines (Pontes). There was a large aircraft manufacting plant here during the Wars. My great grandfather used to tell me about how he would look up at the zeppelins flying down the Thames and actually see the men lifting up a flap and hand dropping bombs out of it. The town has an atrocious road network.

Indianapolis, which was named after Indiana, which was named after indians.

ayy you live in kingston? hello neighbour

My fucking nigger.
I'm right here!

>For example why does it have that name and the date of its origin.

it mean "cow pasture"

I live in Staines, road network just as shit here too..

Founded as Castra Regina in 179 AD. Regina is the celtic name of the river Regen here in town flowing into the Danube.

Castra Regina in german is Regensburg, so there you go