Childhood vs. Adulthood

Childhood is believing the renaissance were a romantic time of peace and enlightenment.
Adulthood is realizing the renaissance had some of the bloodiest battles the world has ever seen.

Discussion is pic related and having to talk about religious wars.

Also general thread about the wars of the renaissance vs. Other wars in the western world.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XchE2q5ubB0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I thought the Renaissance were rather peaceful. Besides the religious wars, what else happened?

Was the Renaissance the true "Dark Age"?
>countless religious wars and massacres
>massive wars destroying entire nations (30 years War, Deluge)
>start of colonialism and imperialism
>start of absolutist monarchy
>rise in mysticism and superstition (see Paracelsus and others hacks, witch hunts, werewolf hysteria)
But some rich guys in Italy had some painting made for them, so Renaissance?

However 1500-1650 had the best military aesthetics.The age when plate armor, halberd spears and guns were used at the same time. Leather, steel cuirass, feathered hats. 18th century ruined it with silly colored uniform.

Tercio de Napoles o Cartagena? Sometimes flags get mixed up in my head

I don't know. I have to look that up. I only know that's the cross of Burgundy.

It's Naples.

>Renaissance were rather peaceful
late fifteenth century Italy was peaceful. but that changed in the 1490s with the invasion of the French into the Italian peninsula, which heralded nonstop war till 1526 and even beyond

Reminder that the 17th century was more devastating for Germany and Poland than WWII.
Much of Germany was depopulated for decades and didn't recover economically until the 19th century.

Well if history thaught as anything it is that every century tends to be violant and that humans will fight over anything. To fight over your ideas isn't as stupid as it is perceived sometimes. But to remain to the topic, every age has had horrible wars and destructive periods, so that shouldn't be your main measurement, rather look at the culture, art, science and great philosophical ideas

Childhood is idolozing Roman Empire
Adulthood is reazling Ottoman Empire makes more sense

Childhood is idolizing modernity and liberal-democratic governments founded on secularism.

Adulthood is realizing that the Middle Ages were the true age of reason, and capitalism must be destroyed to make way for a distributist economy under the guidance of the supreme Catholic Church.

Adulthood is realising history is a series of opinions with dates

The middle ages had religious wars (crusades) which were far more bloody than renaissance wars (sacking of Jerusalem had knights knee deep in blood)

I disagree, though the Crusades were wothout a doubt blood, and very Ruthless in some or most cases, I believe the purging of anyone deemed heritics throughout this time as well as once America was found the purging of Natives Throughout the renaissance years can be seen as a bit more bloody and destructive when compared to the middle age battles during the first and second crusade.

Childhood is not knowing about Otto von Bismarck.

Adulthood is finding out about Otto von Bismarck, the Veeky Forums memes causing you to look for more info about him, and now he's become one of your idols even though you didn't mean for it to happen.

Seriously fuck all of you, you all have ruined me when it comes to learning about historical figures. I'm listening to this
youtube.com/watch?v=XchE2q5ubB0
so I can focus on doing my Discrete Mathematics assignments. Fuckers.

>crusades were far more bloody than renaissance wars

This is simply false, compare the causalities of the crusades to those of the Italian Wars, Eighty Years' War, Huguenot Wars, Polish–Muscovite war, Thirty Years' War, the Deluge. (some of these weren't purely religious)
Individual battles may have been bloody, but the crusades pale in comparison to any of those. The Crusades were simply smaller

Childhood is believing that the good guys always won.
Adulthood is realizing that there are no good or bad guys, only those who care more about their fellow men and have the opportunities to act on it.

>he thinks renaissance means peace
It's just a period of cultural, scientific and political advancement, which it was. It doesn't mean everyone was happy and peaceful it was a period of extreme change with an influx of new ideas, that's all it means and that's all it every meant of you actually read a book about the subject instead of gathering your information from memes
>had to become an adult to figure that out

Northern barbarians ruined the renaissance

really sad

I like this, still relatively an amateur in studying history, but does this derive from a quote is it a more well known spoken truth?

Not disagreeing, but just uninformed, how did barbarians ruin the renaissance?

>you all have ruined me when it comes to learning about historical figures
why? it seems like you wouldn't have known about him if you didn't come here

Because I would learn about them in my free time. I love history and learning more about the ideologies, motivations, and humanity of notable figures. Discovering Veeky Forums has brought out the memey aspect of history and I personally hate how now in my mind there's the vestiges of memery going about on figures about Caesar and others.

ah i see. hopefully that will go away with time and you can compartmentalize the memes from the reality. that or just read more on the figures to debunk the meme spooks that haunt you. having learned about

"You know what the fellow said – in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Not sure if trying to bait people into defending themselves but...

Yeah I mean I know what the Renaissance was now. It's just as a child you're brought up usually thinking that there was a solid 200-300 year period where nobody was really fighting and some new awesome theories, art, technology and architecture improvements happened. Which of course was the truth mostly. Just minus the party about peace.

What I think many people here are discussing is the religious wars which took place which is of course considered one of the most devastating wars in European History as well as the deadliest wars in the Renaissance. Also that it's Ironic to think of this time as peaceful when really it was even more brutal then such wars like the crusades and other battles in History.