MGTOW

What's the deal with monasteries? Why did so many young men chose to devote their life to god?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zHslWTN1zsE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The life of a monk was a cut above what you could expect on average in the Middle Ages. Monks got plenty of food and a LOT of booze. It was also a good place to put troublesome claimants to thrones and fiefs after defeating them. Also, I'm sure the life genuinely appealed to some for its quiet and spiritual aspects. Just bear in mind that monasteries were powerful and had a lot of wealth and influence. There was very little that was unattractive about being a part of one.

Also it's not exactly hard to sneak away into town to fuck a whore.

Vow =/= Reality

Celibacy
+
Rigid daily routines

Who /goingtheirownway/ here?
youtube.com/watch?v=zHslWTN1zsE

Neither as rigid as you think.

As opposed to the rigid daily routine of 90% of the rest of the world? Tending crops and livestock was hard, tedious work. Not many people were going on vacation to Tuscany or anything. As for celibacy, it's called a wank.

>why yes, I do believe the solution to a society that wants me to wear the chastity cage is to voluntarily put one on

There's wank and there's sex. I believe most men and women can identify the difference between the two. Although autists may not, which is a given.

All I'm saying is it's not overly difficult to get by without sex. Physical needs can be met easily enough.

For some reason modern cynics have a hard time believing that a lot of people genuinely wanted to pursue a life of asceticism and education.

Now the wording has changed.

Its not that hard to get by without sex, however who would be willing to give it up if they can get easy sex?

I'm pretty sure the majority of Veeky Forums would be monks in the Medieval era if they had the choice.

I suppose people who value learning and free room and board above shagging a woman who hasn't bathed in a month.

When most people haven't bathed in a month, it wouldn't be considered a downside.

Also, the pursuit of higher learning is always a rarer trait among people. Most people want easy and comfortable life, not devoting your entire life learning and ignoring your primal desires.

Granted, I skew more towards autism and less towards normie. I'd choose the monastic life over plowing my lord's field and my common-law peasant wife.

If you were looking at a life full of hardship as a poor farmer, trying to become a monk could have been a very attractive alternative.

bumperino

What would happen if you were found out, though?

dude what do you think, christianity is all about feeling guilty over the shit you did and doing repetitive chores as penance

Probably better than being a dirt poor peasant in a lot of cases, that and you probably believed you would get into heaven.

Because eternity is more important than the temporary.

>Most people want easy and comfortable life
If you'd ever actually accomplished hard work in your life, or finished a "rigid" routine, you'd know the payoff feels well.