Veeky Forums - Meta

Can I just take this opportunity to say how comfy this board is. Sure, we have some issues with cross-posting from other boards, a lack of board culture and things can get a little bit slow sometimes, but on the whole this board is great.

What do you think about the board as it currently stands histerics? What do you think needs to be done with it? What are the little things you loathe about it? What do you like about it? Are you a hardened Byzaboo? Do you prefer discussing World War II history or are you interested in religion threads?

That image is false.

Romans were black.

Never mind I take my post back.

Mongols a best. Sinics a shit. Slavs a shit. Arabs a shit. Europe a shit.

kek

Daily reminder that the Byzantines were a degeneration of the dominate, which was a degeneration of the principate, which was a degeneration of the republic.

Also, delete humanities and rangeban half the community.

The board is utter shit.

>Every single humanities thread is awful without fail.
>There's a 50/50 chance that a history thread will be derailed by /pol/ bullshit.
>For every good thread there are a dozen hitler, christian shitposting or why didn't africa develop threads.

Basically moot was right and Veeky Forums cannot work as a Veeky Forums board and be of any decent quality. At the very least &Humanities needs to be dropped to have any chance at saving the board.

HOL UP

We could use the ability to upload Veeky Forums related PDFs - and preferably larger than 4mbs - to focus discussion around them instead of another meme or bait OP image. Right now I can't post a majority of my collection, and the Library of Alexandria thread is too ungainly to use for daily discussion.

There are some great posters here, but just like Veeky Forums threads on /v/ and Veeky Forums back in the day we're still swamped by shitposters that do nothing but derail a topic that wasn't very focused to begin with. We need more specific, granular discussions. The more open and vague a question or topic, the more prone it will be to cross-board memeposting and political or religious agendas.

I want to shitpost about the internecine politics of 13th century Bologna, not another topic that's blatantly just rephrasing an /int/ or /pol/ topic with the bare minimum requirements to be considered Veeky Forums, like asking if the modern refugee crisis is at all related to the Migration Period or trolling Balkan autism over FYROM with a vague question about Alexander.

Really, the ability to upload pdfs the same way you upload images would open up a lot of possibilities.

Like goatse on page 43 of a detailed dissertation on the Crimean War

I /like/ the religion threads. Fight me.

It's a crime in my country to beat the retarded.

"Humanities" need to be killed. They are responsible for 90% of board's shitposting.

Nobody ever asked for them and nobody wants them. Once they said, "Veeky Forums will be second /pol/". Well, it wouldn't IF NOT FOR FUCKING HUMANITIES, AND ALL THE WANNABE "INTELLECTUAL" TALK ABOUT RELIGION.

History is about dealing in facts and dates, not in abstract ideologies.

Kick that shit ouy Hiro. Please.

We also need to get fucking flags and IDs back.
>B-but muh anonimity
Nobody cares.
>Muh "ad personam"
Those are unavoidable anyway, and nobody will call you on your flag unless you're shitposting.

Since /pol/ introduced flags&IDs, discussion there became at least SOMEWHAT possible, without samefagging and JIDF accusations. We should do the exact same thing on Veeky Forums.

But he said religion threads, not atheist threads.

I doubt there are much atheists on Veeky Forums, so there's little retardation going on.

>derailed by /pol/ bullshit
What did he mean by this? Does this constitute as an argument?

>still swamped by shitposters that do nothing but derail a topic that wasn't very focused to begin with
This is also why flags and thread-specific IDs are necessary. You can instantly spot the shitposter and ignore him/hide his posts.

Try having a serious thread on the Crusades, the Ottomans or in fact anything that in somehow relates to Islam.

Same goes for any thread on Ancient Egypt, Axum, Colonialism etc etc etc.

And that's because most of these threads are either 'Please validate my political views on modern religion, politics, and race' or 'Look at my funny /int/ meme triggering people with nationalist and ethnic grievances.' A Crusades thread will 9/10 be about if this or that controversy was justified. An Islam thread will be about if this non-historian's video or infographic is accurate. An Axum/Ethiopian thread will be about KANGZ.

>flags are necessary
How about no. Flags attract proxy LARPing and (())/WE/balkan/anglo/german whatever /int/ and /pol/ shitposting. It inserts national bias into conversations.
I like Veeky Forums. There is definitely more good than shit floating about the catalogue atm. Maymay bants and bait shit isn't in the board's objective's best interest though.
I generally agree with you.

>"Humanities" need to be killed. They are responsible for 90% of board's shitposting.

Your bias is showing. The historical side is where most of the shitposting about nazis comes from, it's also where the /int/ shitposting comes from. Both of these make up a substantial portion of Veeky Forums shitposting.

Simply adding a note in the sticky that supernatural, non-academic discussion of religion belongs on /x/ and then enforcing that (requiring that people discuss it either in a historical capacity or philosophical capacity) would curb the majority of religious shitposting.

Why do you retards hate religion so much?

Theology is the most important philosophy around. The origin and purpose of mankind aswell as understanding God.

>rangeban half the community.
do you realize how hard that would be? you realize that the Veeky Forums janitors don't have that kind of power, right? you'd need the cooperation of the US government to send half of this board to the philippines. You're gonna break at least a couple dozen laws with deportations, just look at what happened to trump's travel ban.

the ones constantly whining about religious threads are just butthurt atheist/humanists, just ignore them.

You can ask Hiro for /hum/ if you want to have abstract, nonsensical, pseudo-intellectual discussions. We want to talk history here. And unfortunately said pseudo-intellectual bullshitery takes most of catalog, since it is much easier for random crossposters to join such discussion.

Or you could just go back to Veeky Forums.

It's simple, you fabricate evidence that they were plotting domestic terrorism on /b/.

Veeky Forums doesn't have nearly a good enough discussion culture to handle a serious conversation about theology and philosophy. History is predominately grounded in fact and narrative, which is at least workable.

>Flags attract proxy LARPing
Bullshit. Even on /pol/, most of discussion are on-topic for specific thread. As said before, larping and shitposting only happens in 1% of cases and is easy to avoid as with flags and IDs you can actually filter the posts.

Because nobody wanted "humanities" on this board in the first place.

That and religion topics invariably get raided by the types that just spam blocks of apologetics from another site and do nothing but call all other views and religions devil worship and lies.

I do.

Religion, Science and Philosophy are integral to the discussion of history.

Without them, Veeky Forums would just be about posting dates.

History and the humanities are fundamentally intertwined, since several schools of historical analysis have their roots in philosophy.

You can simply get fucked if you think you're going to be rid of us.

>We want to talk history here.

No one cares what you want. You entitled piss-baby.

>And unfortunately said pseudo-intellectual bullshitery takes most of catalog, since it is much easier for random crossposters to join such discussion.

Then make more threads.

NO FLAGS. Even if it will help you identify shitposts, it will be way too easy for arguments to degenerate into ad hominem and /int/ memes on account of somebody's homeflag. This is how it was on the first day on the board before Hiro realized his mistake.
I'm ok with IDs though.

>Why do you retards hate religion so much?

I don't. Why would you assume that?

>Theology is the most important philosophy around. The origin and purpose of mankind aswell as understanding God.

Theology is a subset of philosophy. It would be fine with my proposal. What wouldn't fly would be shit like "your argument is invalid, because I felt the holy spirit."

>Religion, Science and Philosophy are integral to the discussion of history.
While I don't mind the better parts of /hum/, that's not really true. Most philosophy and religion topics have absolutely no discussion of history beyond dropping a date.

>I don't understand what historical analysis is or where it comes from.

>Sure, we have some issues with cross-posting from other boards
If you mean /pol/ shitposting, you should come out and say it.

As it stands, I think we need pdf support like Veeky Forums. It's incredibly useful there, especially in the Veeky Forums threads that appeared there (and still do). Also, actual moderation that thwacks all the /pol/ shitposting.

>it will be way too easy for arguments to degenerate into ad hominem
Just because something COULD happen doesn't mean it will happen. Again, provide arguments proving your thesis. As I said, flags exist on both /pol/ and /sp/, but you will find very little /int/-tier shitposting on those boards - majority of threads is on-topis, with posters very rarely retorting to flag related ad-hominem.

>This is how it was on the first day
Just very first few hours actually, and entire board was flooded with shitposts just because it was a new board. So it doesn't really count.

>Just because something COULD happen doesn't mean it will happen.

You mean how it currently does on /int/ and /pol/?

>but you will find very little /int/-tier shitposting on those boards - majority of threads is on-topis, with posters very rarely retorting to flag related ad-hominem.

Prove it.

I understand fine. I also understand it's almost completely absent in every Veeky Forums or /hum/ thread. It would have been fine to talk about philosophy or theology as it directly relates to historical analysis, but not as topics by themselves.

>we can talk about philosophy and theology only in these select circumstances

Yeah no. You're an idiot and not worth listening to. You're also in the crowd of conveniently ignoring the relentless shitposting from the history discussion here. It's not the humanities that's obsessed with Nazis.

>It's not the humanities that's obsessed with Nazis.

Actually, let's expand that: Nazis, the American Civil War, Byzantium, "was it autism?" threads, "what the fuck was his problem?" threads, the first world war, the crusades, etc.

I'm sure I'm missing some other topics from the historytards that are nothing but shitposting bait at this point.

From this post onward, you will see humanities' complaints for what they are and respond politely, and you will see history's complaints, and respond politely.

Fuck no. Entitled children get called what they are.

Actually, I take that back. I'm in no mood to continue this discussion amicably, so I'll go elsewhere. Goodnight.

I'm not ignoring the relentless history shitposting. I already made several posts specifically about it. I'm just not going to ignore the humanities problem either that at its best adds nothing to the history discussion and at worst attracts inane bible thumping and fedora tipping.

If you do not believe in the Bible, you do not belong on this board.

Evolutionists belong in /x/

>Yeah the history topics are pretty bad
>Let's not forget the humanities thou-
>REEEEEE YOU'RE IGNORING NAZIS

And there are easier solutions than cutting out a field that's vitally interlinked with the study of history from a history board.

And by suggesting that the solution is to cut out the humanities, you are ignoring the history problem. Grow a little intellectual honesty already.

>thread is mostly history fags bitching about the humanities
>BUT WE DON'T IGNORE THE HISTORY PROBLEM!

You're not cutting out a field if you allow it to exist as an extension of history, and not as it currently stands where anything tangential is openly allowed.

There was exactly one big post shitting on the humanities, and most of the discussion about that comes from thin-skinned posters like yourself blowing up over it. The same goes for people complaining about flags. Literally one poster is talking about excising humanities altogether, and the rest are just pointing out that it has problems like history does.

So at what point do you ban discussion of Marxism? Because its theoretical underpinnings are vitally important to its role as a movement, field of historical analysis, and governmental model.

>There was exactly one big post shitting on the humanities, and most of the discussion about that comes from thin-skinned posters like yourself blowing up over it.

You lying sack of vomit.

>Literally one poster is talking about excising humanities altogether, and the rest are just pointing out that it has problems like history does.

The first post talking about problems with history threads came after a proposal to excise the humanities, and for the most part pointing out problems with history threads has been the domain of people defending the humanities.

Was meant for

Oh, so you're just triggered, is that it? Someone dared to post something absurd like rangeban half the user base (after making a shitpost about Byzantium that normal posters all ignored) and that means you get to explode in impotent rage over anyone that suggests that maybe, just maybe, there's something wrong with the humanities discourse as well?

Yeah, maybe you faggots should go after all.

There's plenty wrong with the discourse in humanities, you cretin. Nobody has denied this. Not fucking once.

But I do get to call you on your shit when you try to pin the problems of this board on someone else. Which is what you're fucking doing.

The people bitching about the humanities act as though there's nothing wrong with history, as though you just come here to politely discuss it like amicable gentleman, rather than a bunch of nationalistic dipshits out to find a hip new mishmash of /int/ and /pol/ to enjoy.

Look to the beam in your eye before you start criticizing the mote in your brothers, or some shit.

Humanities should be transferred to Veeky Forums.

It's a broad category, they've been doing philosophy for longer, and none of the people pushing for Veeky Forums in the first places wanted it on their board.

No, it's not necessary. You can just identify shitposters without flags if you have been around here for some time.

Frankly, I think it's weird they separated humanities from Veeky Forums.

this

the only reason we got stuck with humanities was because of the 20 autists who post on /qa/

Doesn't that kind of defeat the claim? Clearly they're somebody.

>Theology is the most important philosophy around.
No.

>There's plenty wrong with the discourse in humanities, you cretin. Nobody has denied this. Not fucking once.
Glad we're agreed.

The problem is you autists who can't stand a blatant shitpost that everyone was picking apart, and then lash out at anyone that tries to engage with you. I didn't say shit about cutting off humanities, just that maybe it's not necessary to be completely inclusive about all aspects of the field. And like diarrhea out flows nothing constructive, just insults and complaints that no one is talking about the problem with nazi-posting. You didn't even attempt to reach out amicably from the start, so you're get everything you deserve, and are as bad as people who bitch about /pol/ and bitch about people bitching about /pol/.

Because the autists on /qa/ only browsed this board for a day then left. The people who posted in the Veeky Forums generals on Veeky Forums, /pol/ and /k/ never even discussed or thought about philosophy in their threads and they fought the hardest for it's existence.

Nobody was picking that post apart before me.

You may be asshurt that I wasn't nice to you, but you know what? Fuck yourself, I have no intention of being nice to morons.

>I didn't say shit about cutting off humanities, just that maybe it's not necessary to be completely inclusive about all aspects of the field.

Ok, and I don't give a flying fuck what you said, because your position is untenable. That's why I brought up Marxism, because it shows that conclusively since to understand Marxist historical analysis you have to understand Marxist philosophy, to understand that you have to understand German idealism, and to understand the shift from idealism to materialism (which itself is another metaphysical position it helps to actually fucking understand if you want to discuss it) which characterizes the Marx's historical analysis you have to understand Stirner's philosophy. And now you have philosophy back here, you goddamn fucking idiot.

I didn't think the nirvana thread should have been deleted, especially when tons of /pol/ shit doesn't get removed.

I think the main problem with the board is threads die super fast. I made two long posts in a thread about Minoans the other day, then the thread kept sliding. What's the point of making long, intelligent posts if it's just going to get slid by the 15 nazi, stirner, and jew threads?

>Nobody was picking that post apart before me.

To be fair, that sounds like a problem with you. This thread was better off without you hotheads taking the bait. The discussion had some constructive posts until then, and there's been nothing constructive afterwards.

You're right. I should have went somewhere else when I first said I would. I'm sorry for losing my temper, I made a shit-head of myself.

The solution would be Being able to post a pdf would mean you don't have to start out a thread with an ultra dense OP that many will tl;dr. You could summarize the document in three or four green text quotes and people who care would actually read it, and the rest could still populate it with shitposts that are related to the topic specifically at the very least.

fifel and those Marxist fools take imageboard discussions really seriously, lol. "No fun allowed" tier, but eventually spouting the same stupid points all over again in every discussion, just with more paragraphs and useless expositions. Maybe we should really ban the Marxists for the greater good. No one likes those autists.

For example, I could upload a paper that's about some random aspect of Byzantine history, but specifically quote a funny or interesting line to draw in posters of all interest levels. Other posters could come in and either talk about the quote, or find their own, or just post memes about the quote. At the end of the day, even if the thread is mostly nonsense with people laughing about how someone in the text got cucked or whatever, it would still be about that specific thing, or maybe go off on a tangent most likely about another specific argument raised during the course of the thread, and it would still be better than "Were the Nazis ourguys?" or "Is Buddhism a Spook?"

>As I said, flags exist on both /pol/ and /sp/, but you will find very little /int/-tier shitposting on those boards
who are you kidding? /pol/ is brimming with sperging over flags. turkroach, swedecuck, ameriburger, britbong, calling israelis kikes, calling any indian "poo in loo", slamming any balkan poser ; it's all there on display in most threads i've been on in /pol/ and it gets sickening. you're either purposely ignoring this stuff or you're trying to turn Veeky Forums into /pol/lite. if /pol/ actually did its job of making on topic threads about politics and not being a base for storm front we wouldn't have all thinly-veiled political threads (tbf better than any /pol/ discussion) on this board.

Anyway, the question is just as much a question whether they ADD anything to this board, which they will absolutely not, than what they will take away. It's fucking delusional to think adding flags will eliminate ad hominems when all indications are it will make shitflinging worse. to even say that we need somebody's nationality to judge their argument without analyzing it on its own merits is atrocious. On top of that, all the humor and memes on the boards that have flags are repetitive af and stale. Finally, having flags will exacerbate the trend of presentism as though turkey or serbia are some eternal entities instead of states formed out of the contingencies of nationalism and world war.

yeah pdfs would be a great idea. how would we got about getting that?

We can't even get a thread stickied, you think we can get PDFs?

Not to mention it's totally unrelated to the topics of the board. I mean, even if you have issues with nationalist biases, you can really spot that from far away pretty easily. Posts like German-hating Frenchies and Brits can be easily found out. Moreover, biases also go far beyond nationality too. There are ideological biases, school biases (e.g. in econ or phil threads), religious biases, etc.

>
>But he said religion threads, not atheist threads.
>
>I doubt there are much atheists on Veeky Forums, so there's little retardation going on.

Um... Hello...?

Not him, and sure they can be found out, but all that will do is sink the thread in a wave of unironic >t. posting.

The flags don't add anything, not even for /pol/, and we'd be better off with more discipline when it comes to posting good threads and ignoring bad ones.

Kek

>The flags don't add anything, not even for /pol/
they actually do add merit to posters validity for providing information sometimes like for example the current purges in brazil, food scarce in venezula, massive protests in romania

again, it's a matter of common sense. just like you can usually point out certain nationalities by the tone and assumptions of their post, you don't need a flag to validate an user describing his country or hometown or his relation to a newsworthy event near him. this is evidenced by threads here where people post local history and architecture. no retard is going to go out of their way and pretend they're a native somewhere and post pictures they find off of google or instagram. it's absurd or it'd make for a clever (or autistic) troll. as it is this is a HISTORY board and so people shouldn't be commenting on contemporary history really. an user who's dedicated time to reading primary and secondary sources will be more qualified than some LARPER who feels he's qualified to comment on being in a german tribe or working as a serf on a german monastery by nature of being a german himself or learned to recite some meme history from his schooling.

wew lad you sure are a massive sperg, did I mention anything about wanting flags on Veeky Forums more or less something about germany?
merely stated that flags do serve a purpose on /pol/

We have gone half a week without daily holocaust denial threads.

Things are looking up!

i was giving an example of why flags would be bad on Veeky Forums. and since you lack common sense, let me also point out to you that the same arguments I made in that post can be applied to /pol/.
are you butthurt?

yeah your examples are rather specific makes me really think

>What do you think needs to be done with it? What are the little things you loathe about it?

Pretty much my only complaint is the picture on the sticky. It should be a depiction of Diogenes, just on principle. The barrel autist is a much better representative image than Herodotus.

The only reason for "History &" is that Veeky Forums wanted the philosophy and religion stuff off their board, and they bitched about it long enough to get something done, but having a pure philosophy/religion board would be kind of dumb.

and here is the bible thumper, groped any children today?

>groped any children today?

I'm not a Catholic, so no.

I'm all for thread IDs, but anyone who's spent five minutes on /pol/ can tell you that flags are a massive impediment to quality discussion.

I'm fine with philosophy and art discussions, but anything else included with "humanities" needs to fucking go

Religion really really really needs its own corner, because those threads are cancer.

Hiro, pls make a religion/theology board

>Moot was right

When did he say anything about Veeky Forums?

>Moot
>October 2015

And back in 2012 he said that he isn't gonna make a history board because "Veeky Forums can't handle facts and it'd turn into /pol/ with dates."

Fuck lost my entire post

Tldr; we need thread IDs, i've been here since day 1, Veeky Forums has actually improved IMO, we did lose some religion/literary anons, but we've gained some actual fact-driven source providers after this board became popular.

>Flags
Fuck no. They encourage the most cancerous memes.

>issues with cross-posting

Literally everybody uses multiple boards. "Cross posting" is such a dumb meme.

do you have the one where Veeky Forums gets backstabbed by Veeky Forums?

>Again, provide arguments proving your thesis.
Every time flags have been introduced it have ended with tremendous shitposting surrounding the flags themselves. Case in point, /pol/, /news/ and /int/. And the /news/ flags weren't even accurate.

That's not what cross posting means you tremendous newfag. Think a little harder.

Humanities is a crucial part of history as a profession, when you say that history deals with facts and dates, where do you think we get these facts from? History is more than just "What did this emperor say in his speech", as the really interesting side comes from questions like "why did he say this / what did he mean by this xdd", "which events motivated this speech and how can we see his bias through rhetorical elements" etc., in which humanities help us greatly in understanding the "why" behind these things.

People having an opinion that you often see on a different board? I can't read your mind so I don't know what your "definition" is.

Either way, cross posting is a false concept. People may consider some board their "home" board, but most people post across multiple boards. "Cross posting" is often little more than a description for someone having an attitude or belief that you disagree with so you just shout "hurr cross poster/get back to [board]" instead of saying anything of substance or value.

Actual cross posting, that doesn't contribute or belong, would be talking about weightlifting on Veeky Forums, or 3D animation on /out/, or asking for general advice in Veeky Forums instead of /adv/. Opinions regarding many things can be relevant anywhere, and you shouting them down with cries of "hurr cross poster/get back to [board]" only demonstrates what I said earlier - that you're an incompetent idiot with no argument, and simply want the board to fit your own personal vision. Well guess what, nobody else agrees with anyone else on what any individual board should be like exactly, so you're going to have to get used to disagreement.