When was the time the office of President of the United States became so politicized and partisan that people from a...

When was the time the office of President of the United States became so politicized and partisan that people from a political party simply stopped feeling represented by a President who came from the opposite party?

Never.

There has never ever ever been an election that has divided the USA like 2016. At least not that I can think of.

The country goes through phases of partisanship and unity.

Kennedy and Johnson polarized the office of the presidency with their blundering into the Vietnam war. Richard Nixon selflessly united the country again, but redirecting their anger towards himself during watergate.

>inb4 Ak-k-k-kthually Eisenhower started US involvement in Vietnam

2006 & 2000 are probably the most recent examples outside of the big orange one.

>sold american pows to norks
>got involved in france's south-east asian autism

Fucking Ike ruining everything.

Robert Welch was right, he was a commie.

This

>Muh Kenya
>Muh long form birth certificate not real
>Newspaper clipping of birth was fake news
>Muh "Hussain"

Its been years, but I recall them mentioning a Kenyan brother from another mother as some sort of proof.

and now you got MAGAts crying about libtards questioning POTUS's legitimacy as if that wasn't how Orange Berlusconi started his political career

Obviously the election of 1860 when states seceded after Lincoln won the presidency when he didn't even appear on Southern ballots.

The 1824 election when John Quincy Adams was awarded the presidency by the HoR when Andrew Jackson won a plurality of the votes. Jackson came back and campaigned on the "corrupt bargain" that congress had made to steal the office away from him.

The 1876 election when the republicans stole the election away from Samuel Tilden by citing voter intimidation against blacks in several key states and awarded them to Rutherford B. Hayes. Eventually the Democrats accepted the results on the understanding that federal troops would pull out of the south and Reconstruction would be put to an end.

hello psy-op, i think you're only interested in one answer and getting people to comply to your stupid rhetoric.

underrated kek

There has been nothing like Trump in recent memory. Many newspapers even refuse to address him as "President Trump" and just write "Trump" on their headlines.

Basically every president ever, except maybe Washington.

They're not the ones crying

Also the 1888 election where the Republicans used all kinds of voter fraud (shipping in pre-done ballots, bussing in people who'd voted in other districts or out of state, etc.) in Indiana and New York to give those states and the Presidency to Harrison as Cleveland would've won if he got either of those states. In fact, the chicanery in that election is what led to the private ballot.

In part I think that's just cause his celebrity status trumps his official title. And being honest, it's hard to take someone like him serious. I sometimes suspect he's just an actor the banks propped up in place.

I think it´s more of a subtle way to avoid recognizing him as the President

The ones i know are

please do go ahead and tell us what your stupid rhetoric is, user

>Johnson polarized the office of the Presidency
>Nixon selflessly united the country again

Nixon is responsible for the South flipping Republican and gradually wielding more and more power in that party, leading to the rise of the New Right under Reagan. Any uniting Nixon did was unintentional.

As for Johnson and Kennedy, they inspired the Space Race and helped set up the USSR as a common enemy. Johnson definitely alienated the youth, but somehow he managed to get most of the people behind his economic reform, at least until Reagan fucked it all up in the 80s.

Are you talking about things happening in history or are you trying to create a polsci discussion in general? Not American though, so I have no clue either way.