>sensing subtle bogpill
>this ideology will eventually lead to transhumanism
>don't know whether to shut it down or not
>all the influential people at church are eating it up

Wtf do I do here, its semi based semi heresy

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Your buddy has an atrocious grasp of basic philosophy and theology.

Its a bit scary but he delivers it flawlessly, you're stuck listening for an hour cus he so compelling and too nervous to interject

>>this ideology will eventually lead to transhumanism
>what is the meaning of a word "saint"

logos doesn't mean knowledge

it means word

your guy is retarded

>but it became a technical term in philosophy beginning with Heraclitus (c. 535–475 BCE), who used the term for a principle of order and knowledge.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos

logos means many things, not last of them is reason and rational principle of things
learn something sometime

>reason is semantically equivalent with knowledge

no u

He's conflating Tippler's physical/philosphocal Omega Point Theory with the theological Omega Point Theory. Both are really interesting but he isn't representing them well AT ALL.

I personally LOVE the shit out of quantum omega point theory.

Sounds stupid, but without actually knowing what his arguments are, we can't do anything but call it stupid.

just try and read some Church Fathers who talked about cosmic role of Logos, in which all (platonic) ideas rest (as they do in human rational mind, you know, as knowledge). Or you can stay a heretic you are now.

>bogpill

God I haven't heard that one in forever

2 Corinthians 5 New Living Translation (NLT)

New Bodies
5 For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands. 2 We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long to put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing. 3 For we will put on heavenly bodies; we will not be spirits without bodies.[a] 4 While we live in these earthly bodies, we groan and sigh, but it’s not that we want to die and get rid of these bodies that clothe us. Rather, we want to put on our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by life. 5 God himself has prepared us for this, and as a guarantee he has given us his Holy Spirit.

Sounds like a load of crap m8, when you say "charismatic" do you mean as in part of the charismatic movement? Either way I would ignore it. Christianity has always been sceptical of utopianism or that humans can be "improved"

>who is Thomas Moore

>projecting this hard

A based saint who wrote really good work of fiction. Just because he coined the word does not make him a utopian.

I heard something as crazy as that, like the whole point of Christianity is to become God (or God's wife, something like that) by channeling our collective consciousness as "Church". He's also quoting Athanasius. It was on Veeky Forums a few years ago, when he mocked the atheists for their "superficial" understanding of Christianity (according to him, of course).

actually there is a point in that,
"Church" was taken as a singular spiritual being by some early Christian authors (like Hermas), in the liking (but not equal to) angelic beings
and that happened even before Gnostics made Church some praeexisting aeon

St. Athanasius the Great's quote "God became man so that man might become God" is probably one of the most misunderstood and misused.

Did your ancestors not say "we are all gods?"

Shit maybe, I dunno.

Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’?

I have long desired to find an archeologist, a linguist, a religious scholar, and perhaps a chemist, bring them together, and rig up a convincing set of fake Dead Sea Scrolls that quotes Jesus as saying that only those who build a settlement among the stars and around a world found in (insert specific star of distant constellation here) will be saved.

While I generally approve of Christianity, my main issue is the combination of a pending apocalypse and an eternal afterlife infinitely more important than this one, generally discourages investments in the sort of multi-generational projects required for species-wide survival, such as space colonization (or yeah, transhumanism, which may be required step for said to degree or another).

So, I figure, rather than try to build a new religion dedicated to the survival of humanity, why not just coopt the old one.

Any takers?

But yeah, anything to combat these anti-intellectual protestants that are such an endless festering cancer on both secular society and religion.