Got one of these babys arriving next month for storing ETH

Got one of these babys arriving next month for storing ETH.

Should I store it all on the actual ledger app or MEW locked with the Ledger device?

Or maybe just use MEW for when the ledger app isn't working. What would be safest?

You just store on the device, you can use it with or without MEW. Enabling the browser support setting allows you to use it with MEW, disable this setting to use it with the Chrome app.

So I wouldn't have to actually create a MEW private key? Would it make one for me by plugging it in and choosing the Nano Ledger option on MEW.com?

MEW gives you the option of using your Nano, you don't need to generate a new private key. When you create a transaction on MEW with the Nano, the Nano will still ask you to approve it.

Thanks. Last thing.

I know you need to write down the 24 word passphrase for the nano. But what about the private key? Would you access that from the device screen and then just write it down on a piece of paper along with the pass phrase? In-case I had to restore it ona different device or bip39 software. This is all for ETH mind you.

You know that Vitalik Buterin can delete your deposit even if it is on a Ledger

I'm more worried about Coinbase deleting my funds. I doubt Vitalik cares about my sub 7 digit ethereum.

The 24 words generates the private key, all you need are those. Warning: if you upgrade the firmware on the Ledger, you will need to reenter the 24 words.

For security, I suggest doing the following:
Make two copies of the words, split them into two parts each. Keep one copy for yourself, with the two halves in different secret places, preferably distant from each other. If you trust anyone enough with your money, such as family, give them the two halves, again to be stored in different places.

Also, memorise the 24 words. It isn't hard, just flash card four words, and once you remember those, move on to the next four words.

* If you trust anyone enough with your money, such as family, give them the two halves

I mean, give them the OTHER two halves, obviously.

nice FUD

I'll just store it in the chest under my bed. But anyways, what you're saying is that the 24 word passphrase IS the private key? and that's the only thing I'll need to memorize?

Also I was considering setting up the wallet and then entering the pin wrong 3 times so I can wipe it and test to see if I wrote down the passphrase correctly. Is that a good idea?

bump

why is this better than a usb stick in a safe?

*steals your usb wallet*

nothin personnel kid

>forgets to steal my pass phrase sheet.
>fails to extract private key from my brain
>doesn't even ask for the pin code

GG I win. I'll just restore my ETH on another device or from my PC.

what happens is this trendy turd stick breaks?

what then faggots?

This trendy turd stick doesn't matter. It's all about the passphrase. You can use any trendy turd stick (or not) to restore it

Dumb question, but what is a MEW?

myetherwallet

It's not