ITT Those who lived long enough to see themselves become the villain

>ITT Those who lived long enough to see themselves become the villain

>War hero key to at least 4 different battles that he barely got credit for, especially Saratoga
>Passed over for promotion simply because there were too many generals from Connecticut
>Ends up in fucking debt to the continental congress for fighting the war
>Court martialed on absolute bullshit charges
>Had he died at Saratoga, he'd be one of the greatest heroes in American history

Gorbachev. Wanted to be a reformer, ended up creating the biggest geographic catastrophe of the 20th century.

The Old Trickster himself, Richard Milhouse Nixon. I actually met him during the post-Watergate years, after he was cased out of Washington. He knew the good he had done, and knew that it would never be anything he'd be given proper credit for. I do not know if he realized how HE had fucked his presidency up.

I really felt sorry for him.

>Graceful leader
>Champion of the Chimps
>Starts hanging out with Jewboons
>"I hear the Kahama are encroaching on Kasakela territory"
>nope.jpg
>Kahama genocide
>Figan ends up killing his childhood hero
>forced to live with this for the rest of his Chimp life
Basically Maedhros from the Silmarillion

I fucking hate the story of Benedict. It pisses me off every time I read about him

Because of how easily avoidable it was? Because that pisses me off too.

DeGaulle

Well sure. I mean I guess someone could blame Benedict, but I ironically think he dindu nuffin and it was the fault of American politics.

I agree with you desu

He was spurned repeatedly due to politics and it left him bitter and ostracized. It's hard to blame him for doing what he did.

It's not like he wanted power, literally all he wanted was to be recognized and rewarded for his victories. God damn it pisses me off

Arguably a hero to France until he fucked that up nd had to flee, then got taken prisoner, only to be taken back aftee Napoleon bailed him out. Saw his country destroy itself from the inside out in a different country as he could do nothing else but watch. Lived the rest of his days just being himself in America. Poor dude was never truely recognized in his own country. But of course in the States you can't find a town of street not named after the guy, at least in the original 13.

Funny I was just listening to the Revolutions podcast episode that mentioned how he's remembered so fondly in America but the French pretty much hated him for being a vain glory hound.

Two very different views. Shame Baron von Steuben doesn't have the same level of fame.

Gorbachev is highly praised, at least in normiedom

Nixon knew he had made mistakes, he just believed he'd done no worse than most presidents, and sometimes the rules have to be fudged in order to get things done (he probably wasn't wrong)

He kinda had a chip on his shoulder i think.

>well educated
>leader of national guard
>was banging queen of france
>wrote the declaration of rights of Man

Champ de mars fucked his reputation and not to mention he lied about Louis escaping to Austria. He wanted the Monarchy to stay alive and protect the Queen mainly. He knew if Louis was killed by the revolutionaries that France would be Invaded and all out war would be unpreventable. Guy just wanted what was Best for France but instead was deemed a traitor. Fuckin Jacobins...

His best choice though was declining the dictatorship of France. He knew if he took on that role he'd be done for. He belonged in America though, wish America and France had a better relationship, they owe eachother the success of eachother's revolutions.

How

>Rise to defend a republic from outside aggressors
>End up marching 200 000 men into Russia with me as their Emperor

the fuck

Gorbachev is very much the opposite of highly praised in Russia and much of the former "real" SSRs (not the baltics).

DeGaulle was a piece of shit who wasn't even liked by his fellow allies during WWII

If this guy died in 1956 he'd be known as one of the best leaders of all time.

There's no doubt Benedict Arnold truly regretted his decision to betray the Patriots and the cause of Liberty. After all, he left instructions to be buried in his old continental uniform.

He would have been viewed with higher regard than Horatio Gates had he not turned.