What are some of the pre-Christian cultural elements that have persisted up until this day?

What are some of the pre-Christian cultural elements that have persisted up until this day?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Too many to count. First define "our" as the adoption of certain Greco-Roman cultural elements coincides with the adoption of Christianity in most cases. Second, You'd be better off asking "what elements of our culture are exclusively derived from Christanity."

Could you even define Christianity as something to adopt from exclusively when so much of it was adopted from pre-Christian cultures?

Who is Soetere?

Birthdays, vowels, and philosophy.

The twelve stars on your picture were later associated with the virgin Mary and that's one of the reason we can find them today on the european union flag

If true i'm mindblown...

That goes back to revelations
"A women clothed with the sun, the moon under her feet, an on here head a crown of twelve stars"

The stars represent 12 of the Virgin Mary's virtues.

And used to represent the Virgin Mary first to my knowledge. Who knows when that picture the OP posted was made. Or the first references to 12 starts in Anglo Saxon mythology as opposed to revelations.

Some of the weekdays are named after Norse/Germanic gods:

Tuesday: Day of Tyr
Wednesday: Day of Wotan
Thursdayː Day of Thor
Fridayː Day of Freya/Frey

But that may be what you are implying in your original image.

Most of what we consider to be Christian holidays are also heavily inspired by pagan holidays celebrating cycle of the sun.

Reminder this is exclusively to English. In Italy I think the days of the week sync up to the Greco-Roman gods.

>
Most of what we consider to be Christian holidays are also heavily inspired by pagan holidays celebrating cycle of the sun.
Depending on how we celebrate, yes. The Western Christians weren't shy about the fact that the rising sun is a good analogy for Christ. The Orthodox church celebrates Christ birthday on a different day.

Catholicism

What is also funny is that in latin languages, the days of the week are named after the roman gods thats are equivalents to the norse ones :
For instance in italian :
>Lunedì is the day of the luna (luna = the moon = mon - day
>Martedì (tuesday) is the day of Mars, the god of war and Tyr is also the god of war
>Mercoledì (wednesday) is the day of Mercure, the god of trade, and Wodan is also the god of trade
>Giovedì gots its name from Jupiter, the god of thunder, and thor is also the god of thunder
>Venerdì is the day of Venus, goddess of beauty and fertility whose norse equivalent is Freya
So not only both germanics and latins languages kept the names of their ancients gods for naming the days, but these gods shares the same attributs, i wish i knew more about how this is possible.

>i wish i knew more about how this is possible
The indo-European pantheon all comes from the same source. The Proto-IndoEurpean people

Democracy

Indeed.

Germanic Languages in general do this.

I believe it's English and Continental Germanic languages that do Moon's day, Tyr/Tiw/Tiwaz's day, Odin/Wotan/Wodan's day, Thor/Thunder/Donar's day, Frigg's day, Saturn's Day, and finally Sun's day.

I believe Nordic languages have "Washing Day" instead of "Saturn's day".

Countless rites and little cultural rules.

For romanian its
luni
marti
miercuri
joi
vineri

I think it has something to do with either borrowing from the Roman deities due to "interpretatio germanica". Also, notice there are seven, roughly translating to days of the week. Soetere I believe refers to "Saturday". Wikipedia's page for Saturday also goes on to say that "It was formerly thought that the English name [Saturday] referred to a deity named Sætere who was venerated by the pre-Christian peoples of north-western Germany, some of whom were the ancestors of the Anglo-Saxons. Sætere was identified as either a god associated with the harvest of possible Slav origin,[4] or another name for Loki[5] a complex deity associated with both good and evil; this latter suggestion may be due to Jacob Grimm.[6] However, modern dictionaries derive the name from Saturn.[7][8][9][10]".

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday (Relevant parts being the second paragraph of "Origins in antiquity" and last paragraph of "Names and associations in European cultures").

all of the OT?

I should have proofread that. I forgot to mention that "interpretatio germanica" in this case probably only explains syncretic qualities of OP's image. Not necessarily the origin or pre-Christian identity of "Soetere".