What is the deadliest sword in history, as in which type has killed the most people?

What is the deadliest sword in history, as in which type has killed the most people?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contest_to_kill_100_people_using_a_sword
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Possibly the Gladius although it might depend on how strict and loose your definitions are.

seconding this.

although since swords are almost always used as secondary weapons in war, maybe it would be something used in duels or executions.

More like Frostmourne, didn't you read the Bible?

Excalibur

Mongol saber

kitchen knife

Id say undoubtedly the gladius, as it is pretty much the only sword to be a primary armament in a highly active military for a long period of time

My dick.

1000 Degree Sword

Ya know, it'd be hard to get solid numbers, but I would not be surprised if this was the correct answer.

Excalibur

Rwandan machete

this

my tongue
[spoiler]oral sex[/spoiler]

Probably a late republic/early imperial gladius. That or some style of saber since they were used by steppe peoples and the western powers in lieu of spears many times.

more likely some kind of chinese sword used in executions
even if the gladius saw extended use the populations were so low at that time I doubt it would be the one

Rwandan Machete killed about as many in the space of a week.

How many countries were using a standard longsword at the same time during the Middle Ages though? Then there's also the fact that population has been increasing forever. Sure some people would be using other weapons but that was also the case in the Roman military.

They had axes.
Too nebulous
Not a sword, they also used more than Machetes and Rome killed more than they.
I'd apply it to everything which falls under the term "Gladius" in ancient Rome, this extends to Cavalry and everyone who served on either side in the first Punic war as well as either side of the Gallic wars.
This is a stretch but its the only way to not draw arbitrary lines from modern conceptions.
its a copout too, but w/e

daily reminder the Hutu did nothing wrong and the Romans killed 40 million Jews.

Isn't there a "the gladius is the ak47 of the ancient world" history meme?

OK next question then, what specific sword has killed the most people?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contest_to_kill_100_people_using_a_sword

It's certainly contested, but during the Nanking Massacre two known Japanese soldiers racked up body counts exclusively using their swords

>Both officers supposedly surpassed their goal during the heat of battle, making it impossible to determine which officer had actually won the contest.
>Therefore, (according to the journalists Asami Kazuo and Suzuki Jiro, writing in the Tokyo Nichi-Nichi Shimbun of December 13), they decided to begin another contest, with the aim being 150 kills.
>The Nichi Nichi headline of the story of December 13 read "'Incredible Record' [in the Contest to] Behead 100 People—Mukai 106 – 105 Noda—Both 2nd Lieutenants Go Into Extra Innings".

In terms of total fatalities, the most deadly sword in history was and will forever be the humble kitchen knife.

[cont]

I'm sure there may be a ceremonial executioner's sword or cleaver or axe, used to behead over a hundred condemned criminals, but honestly executioner's weapons are commonly swapped out and there is not usually just one designated execution weapon so its impossible to know how many kills any one device stacked up.