Redpill me on John Sobieski and the battle of Vienna

Redpill me on John Sobieski and the battle of Vienna.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Párkány
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mohács_(1687)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Niš_(1689)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Slankamen
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Zenta
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He was of some help but alot of the work defending it was done by the Austrians.

Atleast, that's what I've been told on here.

It was the largest cavalry charge in history, and when combined with grinding attrition resulting from the hard siege of Vienna and the strength of the Holy League it shattered an Ottoman host, and ended up being the ending point of Ottoman expansion in Europe.

He was basically forced into helping by weighing the fact that Poland was increasingly in need of allies, and decided to try and make the Hapsburgs indebted to him instead of fighting them. He might have allied with the Turks if not for the fact that they were too far to be of much help in the event of a joint German and Russian invasion.

Also, most Protestant German princes didn't want to show up for the first siege, and the only one that did was there as a personal favor to the emperor. Nevertheless, his troops were treated poorly by the Catholic troops and they quickly marched home after the siege in anger.

If the Turks won the first siege, they would have probably given Vienna to a Protestant Hungarian puppet state, while the second siege was memed into existence by a proto-salafi movement that swept into the Ottoman court a few years earlier and had next to no chance or business succeeding given that it was mostly started out of ghazi romanticism, the equivalent of the Crusade of Varna only in reverse.

>his troops were treated poorly

Poorly how?

>Protestants in a Catholic city after days of religious services to shore up morale to face an Islamic enemy, all at the height of the Reformation.

They were bullied for the most part.

2 redpills about poles
1-Hussars did not wore wings during battle
2-After the battle of vienna Poles allied themselves with turks for hundreds of years. Ottomans were one of the few powers that did not accepted the partition of poland, and supported poland independence up until 20st century.

This is brushed off since it does not fit okay to have `stalwart defenders of christendom` allying themselves with muslims.
I agree that second siege was a meme, turks were on the decline before the siege and would still be on decline even if they conquered vienna

The elector of Saxony, right?

In one of his letters to his wife a few days after the battle Sobieski mentions that the elector was very demonstratively disgusted and resentful by his treatment before he left.

Any idea if English translations of those campaign letters exist? I've half a mind to translate them myself since it's a nice "backdoor" view of the situation, particularly since Sobieski tends to ramble on about some details and tell his wife many things which he then instructs her to omit or present differently in official terms (e.g. for newspapers).

All I know is that movie was complete dog shit.

>John Sobieski

He was a nigger.

He killed and ate several of them every day.

WE

it was big fucking mistake
never trust Germs
also this

>haul cannon onto the top of a mountain
>largest cavalry charge in history from top of mountain
>???
>profit

that's poland

>John

>sign alliance
>not wanting to honor alliance
>finally shows up
>gets praised

Battle of Vienna was the turn of the tide, after that, the great war saw a series of battles which determined Habsburgs as the victor;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Párkány

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mohács_(1687)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Niš_(1689)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Slankamen

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Zenta

>1-Hussars did not wore wings during battle
So when and why did they wear them?

Parade and gymkhana.

that armor looks dapper as fuck

>>not wanting to honor alliance
>>finally shows up

Source? Vienna was besieged pretty much immediately when the fighting started and he was there with his kingdom's entire army in two months.

It always seemed to me like an impressively quick response considering the logistics of the times.