What is "western culture"? Can it be so easily defined with a blanket statement like that...

What is "western culture"? Can it be so easily defined with a blanket statement like that? The culture of places like North America and Europe has never really come across to me as so simple, especially since the west is where a wide array of people come together for opportunity and liberty. Wouldn't that mean western culture is just several cultures?

$

>Wouldn't that mean western culture is just several cultures?
yes, just like all other civilisations

Christianity.

Capitalism is not a culture, it is a process that is at conflict with culture.

Greco-Roman Civilization + Christendom

The West is the Catholic and Protestant European world.

So Greece isn't part of the West?

Da Greeks

No it's a pandemic culture.
Dollars bills spread across the globe like locusts destroying socio-ecological systems, and leaving behind nothing but their bodies, the only thing left to live on

I wouldn't say so. Perhaps in broad sense. "The West" is a fluid term. Nothing is wrong with this.

>What is "western culture"?
It's a variety of values shared across Europe and the Americas that distinguishes it from other cultures.
I think that individualism is one good example of a value considered "western" which is at odds with Asian Confucianism-influenced cultures for instance

Any definition of "the West" that excludes Greece is just flat wrong.

Only vampires worship that symbol

greek and judeo-christian values

>Any definition of "the West" that excludes Greece is just flat wrong.
What about the Eastern Roman Empire versus the Western Roman Empire? What about the Eastern Orthodox Church versus the Catholic Church?

Just because Italians jerked off to them twice in history and influenced the barbarians doesn't make them western. The
Eastern Mediterranean was and still somewhat is a civilization in its own right.

>Just because Italians jerked off to them twice in history and influenced the barbarians doesn't make them western.
Utter rubbish. The Greeks considered themselves Westerners.

There is no such thing as "the West" or "Western culture". There is no such thing as "Judeo-Christian values" either.

First off, I don't give a shit what they considered themselves.

Secondly, that definition wouldn't include today's "westerners". Greeks had more in common with Anatolians, Phoenicians, Egyptians and even Persians.

>There is no such thing as "the West" or "Western culture".
Yes there is. It's just a fluid term.

Cult-ure: doing the same mindless, thoughtless, useless rituals over and over: because people are taught to do tricks--as animals--but they're incapable of learning.

>Cult-ure
Escaping "culture" is impossible. Even your meaningless, vapid, empty, consumerist liberal culture is a culture.

Actually, it was more of western Europeans molding themselves after the ancient greeks that created "the west"

So yes, of course Greece is a part of the West. Its literally the progenitor of the west. Even if today they have been turkefied somewhat

Greece is Eastern Europe.

Are yuppies eating sushi Japanese?

Sorry, reverse that. Does that make the Japs western yuppies?

My two cents. Greece is Western in the sense that anything part of the Eurasian landmass west of the bosphorus and Urals is the Western world. In terms of history and religion Eastern and Southeastern Europe are quite different from the rest of Europe and are "Eastern" in a meaningful way.