The idea of line infantry is so stupid...

>the idea of line infantry is so stupid, I would have just spread out all my guys in a semi circle and shot up that giant target!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J7MYlRzLqD0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I LIKE having my whole force mopped up by the enemy cavalry.

>ww1 was the stupidest war ever, everyone just ran out into fields and got shot for no reason.

>movie shows roman cohort advancing towards enemy in tight formation
>reaches enemy
>formation completely breaks down into hand to hand fighting

wth hollywood

What do you think happens then? That the unit remains in perfect formation while slowly advancing forward until the enemy breaks formation?

b-but wouldn't you just be cavalry charged to death then?

Um, yeah? What the fuck is the point in spending all that time and effort to get in formation and stay in formation, then suddenly break into a random mishmash scrum once you actually get to the most important part?

They do this for the cool factor, but honestly i think it would be far more impressive if they showed actual tactics and formation in movies.
I guess it's just because it takes so many people.

HBO Rome did at pretty well. The first episode where the Romans faced the Gauls was pretty damn cool.

I think this happens: youtube.com/watch?v=J7MYlRzLqD0

It's the same reason that it was said you could "only beat a phalanx with another phalanx" because you don't break formation, if you do, the battle is lost.

>Deserters will be crucified
I thought roman citizens coudn't be crucified, no?
I know some soldiers earned citezenship through millitary service, but he says it's the XII legion.

Have you seen how riot police behave?

why didn't he get back in formation though?

Deserters aren't Roman cunt

The army operated under a different ruleset. For example, if you fell asleep during sentry duty, you'd be stoned and clubbed to death by your comrades without any sort of trial. Harsher punishments, and less red tape was required to maintain the discipline of the army.
Though I can't actually find anything about crucifixion for soldiers in my books, so I don't know, maybe a bit of artistic license there?

you'd be amazed how easy it was to be crucified, and from what i know roman citizens were indeed crucified but that knowledge I learned like years ago so its a little foggy. Anyone feel free to correct me

>Polish forces still used horses in ww2

hell soldiers were stoned by fellow comrades for things like cowardice or I believe breaking formation but that one might have been whippings instead, not sure exactly

I never said they were roman cunts
But never mind, just found the answer.
Looks like desertion was the only instance in which a citezen could be crucified.

So did Germans where they weren't mechanized.

>point
>
>
>
>
Your head

ah thank you user, dumb question im sure but how does a civilian "desert"

Like aiding the opposing forces or?

>and from what i know roman citizens were indeed crucified but that knowledge I learned like years ago so its a little foggy. Anyone feel free to correct me
IIRC one of the main perks of being a Roman citizen was that you could NEVER be crucified for anything, except maybe desertion like the other people ITT are saying

Oh, yeah.

I looked away to respond to an e-mail and forgot the OP.

I'm sorry anonymous.

Wells: You don't have to do this. I'm a day trader. I could just go home.
Chigurh: You could?
Wells: I could make it worth your while. I could take you to an ATM with 14 grand in it, and everyone just walks away.
Chigurh: [amused] An ATM.
Wells: I know where the satchel is.
Chigurh: If you knew, you would have it with you.
Wells: I can find it from the riverbank. I know where it is.
Chigurh: I know something better. I know where it's going to be.
Wells: Where's that?
Chigurh: It will be brought to me, and placed at my feet.
Wells: You don't know to a certainty. Twenty minutes, it could be here.
Chigurh: I do know to a certainty. And you know what's going to happen now, Carson. You should admit your situation. There would be more dignity in it.
Wells: [defiantly] You go to hell.
Chigurh: [chuckles] All right. Let me ask you something. If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?
Wells: Do you have any idea how crazy you are?
Chigurh: You mean the nature of this conversation?
Wells: I mean the nature of you.

It was a shitpost

Fleeing from battle/the army, I suppose.

>not understanding the industrial revolution was a mistake as it meant you had to cater to normies to make a profit

>not realising there is more than one unit in an army

I just realized that desertion could fall unto rebellion and etc. Sorry Veeky Forums work schedules killing my sleep (original poster)