Who are the greatest Veeky Forums approved generals of history?

Who are the greatest Veeky Forums approved generals of history?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gazala
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Patch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Belisarius

Certainly not Rommel. Pretty overrated desu.

He was respected on both sides

pic unrelated.

Anyway, for WW2 alone I would pick:

>Rundstedt
>Manstein
>Nimitz
>Rokossovsky
>Marshall
>Chuikov

You can't really make a historical list. The skills a general needs vary drastically depending on the era. So do their jobs really.

ZIZKA
Doesn't make him not a shit general who blamed the Italians for his own failures and couldn't manage a supply line to save his life.

Jesucristo de Castilla

Not your pic

Bolivar
San Martin
Sucre

>forgetting Slim
>tfw nobody cares about CBI

The Rommel Myth was fabricated in the postwar period to build bridges between Germany and her new allies during the Cold War.

>No Guderian
Shiggy diggy

My boyyyy
(Seconded)

>Žižka
Honestly, if he ever lost a battle he should kill himself

>Subutai
>Timur
>Alexander the Great
I also want to say the Black Prince Edward, but I honestly haven't seen much talk about him outside of shit that I've started.

Top 10 ancient/medieval solely based on feats, tactics, and strategy are:

1. Subutai

Won 65 battles, helped create the largest land empire in history, fought enemies that were in greater number and in some cases technologically superior, undefeated.

2. Alexander

Fought always armies that were greater in number, invented ancient tactics of war, fuck huge empire, undefeated.

2. Khalid ibn al-Walid

Fought in one hundred battles, overpowered the numerical superior superpowers at the time with tactics, undefeated.

3. Julius Caesar

perfected the Roman war machine, new tactics and advanced logistics used for the first time, defeated the other greatest military mind of his time, undefeated.

4. Belisarius

All the brilliance of ancient tactics rolled into one general, used logistics, deception and knowledge of the enemy to defeat them, always outnumbered, he remained undefeated.

4. Jan Zizka

Ridiculously outnumbered, humiliated the most
advanced superpower of the time, brilliant tactics and use of terrain/new technology, undefeated.

5. Tamerlane

Wrecked all the big powers of his time with a bunch of unwashed tribesmen,started from nothing, huge empire, undefeated.

6. Bai Qi

Walking human holocaust, helped unify China after almost a century of fragmentation, undefeated.

7. Hannibal

Unprecedented use of tactics, slaughtered armies numerically superior, crossed the alps, but lost because Carthaginian nobles disliked him and did not support him adequately.

8. Charlemagne

Showed those dirty pagans whose boss, huge empire, but lost to a bunch of unwashed Basque peasants, wtf Charlie?

9. Edward, the Black Prince

new tactics, wrecked heavy cavalry, quickly won siege battles, used psychological warfare, could have been even greater had he not died early.

10.Baibars

Wrecked the Mongols, wrecked the Crusaders, wrecked Makuria, started with almost nothing, undefeated.

This is a good list desu

Genghis Khan

>Edward LiterallyWho is listed
>Napoleon isnt

Why not add Patton and Rommel while you're at it?

He said it was an ancient/medieval list.

The Black Prince almost won the fucking hundred years war for England. He was a remarkable general.

>Napoleonic Wars werent medieval

Maybe it's because I'm American, but wtf?

>The Black Prince almost won the fucking hundred years war for England

Pretty ironic given that he was French by blood

>Napoleonic Wars are medieval

Oh my god what

medieval is before gunpowder weapons become the standard equipment but after Charlemagne did his thing.

But the HYW had gunpowder

Trips confirms that this is the kind of person I have to share a country with.

Yeah, but they still weren't the only thing being used by the average soldier. It's kind of borderline to be honest, you could consider it post-Medieval if you wanted to.

Firstly, you're both retarded. It has nothing to do with "gunpowder becoming the standard weapon" this isn't fucking Age of Empires with it's technology upgrades.

Typically the transition is considered to happen with the birth of the Renaissance in Italy or Columbus kicking off the Age of Discovery.

Best list

>Rommel was a good general beyond a division sized force.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gazala

He was a genuinely great corps and army commander, theater command was beyond him however.

Everyone forgets Alexander Patch. He is the definition of an underrated general.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Patch

>ctrl+f
>sherman
>0 results
>firerises.gif
>see this
>quells rage

Might be because he was batshit insane, but he's my hero

100 years war where 2 branches of the French royal dynasty fighting for the throne

Hannibal
Alexander the Great
Harold Hardrada
Ghengis Khan

General George "I'm going to go through that wall like shit through a goose" Patton.

Great Grandfather spent 1936 to 1945 in the Heer he was in Austria, Poland, Netherlands, France, Yugoslavia, and the Eastern Front til 1945. Walter Wenck would always be his favourite.

>Great grandfather served his final three months of the war under Wenck in the Halbe Pocket. Made it to Captain.
>Morale still high, still believes in the war.
>Wenck rallied his officers with the truth: That the war was lost, and that all they could do now was protect the civilians for as long as possible. Breaking out of the pocket and taking as many civilians west to the Americans and British as they could.
>Grandpa told stories of Waffen-SS men and Heer troops killing each other on purpose. (SS for any perceived cowardice, Heer troops killed SS men to hide their youngest troops with the civilians as their 'children' so they weren't killed futilely)
>Time and time again Grandfather and men threw themselves at the Soviet encirclement Grandpa finally managed to get his company of troops protecting 600+ civilians through the Soviet ring of steel. Broke through the lines after the third time
>100 of his men are dead in 18 hours of ceaseless combat
>That was it for him. He's finally utterly disillusioned by the war.
>Ordered all remaining radio equipment to be smashed, and then he marched his men and civilians west for two straight days until he reached the Americans.
>Run into an American patrol
>American patrol got scared shitless at the sight of a half company of soldiers,
>Grandfather steps out, tells the Americans they aren't going to fight, but they aren't going to relinquish their weapons in case the Soviets followed them. They fall back into adjacent buildings along the side of the autobahn.
>Like, less then an hour later a shitload of American armour.
>Grandpa swallows pride, orders his men to relinquish their weapons steps out with his hands up.
>American Major took him aside, sat him down and had they got pissed drunk while Grandfather told him how his war went.

Wenck was honestly such a cool dude, god damn.

I think Model is pretty underrated. But It's not like I ould say why. I just feel like he did pretty good but is almost never mentioned

I sometimes argue that no general was under greater pressure than Zhukov. That to fail meant absolute annihilation, for him and everyone he knew. To succeed with that great pressure puts him near the top for me.

Can we ignore pleb lists like this with meme names? If any general on the list ever lost a battle, he shouldn't be there. Also Sulla should at least be number 1, maybe number 0.

>The Napoleonic wars were medieval
The US were a fucking mistake

>Subutai - undefeated
Are you sure about that? What about the Jin?

Здpaвcтвyйтe

You do realise Zhukov opposed the anti-party line over 1956?

>American education

Pompey had broken Caesars army and defenses. Only he chose to not ride down and slaughter those fleeing.

>Napoleonic Wars
>Medieval

This is the reason I support artificial population control.

Undoubtedly, Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba, or "The Great Captain" at the service of Isabella and Fernando of Spain, end of 15th and early 16th centuries.

He laid the theoretical grounds for new warfare and the spanish infantry organization (Tercios), unrivalled in Europe for over a Century, from 1515 to 1643. He also invented the Marine Corps.

Compañero

>american """"""""education""""""""