History is my passion

>history is my passion
>can't get a job with a history degree

Wat do

Die, like the rest of us.

I want to major in history.

What are some schools to apply to that will actually educate me? No ivies though

Study some useful part of history like economics.

Everything has history. Use your academic skills and research a topic of history that can be exploited for gain in the near future

It's very simple

Either be amazing at your job, have great connections or just get one that's in demand

Name one foreseeable scenario where this works out

Get a real job and have a hobby, retard.

Move to Italy or another country with actual history

Write a letter to every library, museum and where ever else you can think of in the world and tell them that love history and you want a job. Then get on a fucking plane and go there.

Find a part of history with very little historiography, study a PHD, release it as a book then apply for become a lecturer

pair it with something

me, I'm considering getting two MA's, one in history and the other in library science

so, depending which part of library science i specialize in, i can become qualified to be a librarian, archivist, digital records manager, museum curator, etc etc

or you can teach high school, which the more and more i think about it the lamer that idea sounds to me

literally going to meet with someone tomorrow to discuss this more. if this plan falls through i'll either reconsider the high school teacher idea or possibly get my MA in political science

hope this helps

get a teaching degree
become a teacher
its the only way

I study history, I don't predict the future

Move to a better country

The only jobs in history are in academia and unfortunately it's full of self important cunts. You should just find another field to become successful in and do something like Loeb or Robert Stassler.

this. lots of more useful degrees in fields very related to history. poli sci, economics, info sci, law, international relations to name a few

All of those degrees are equally as worthless as history save for economics. And everyone's picking economics because they're too unimaginative and too afraid to choose anything else.

Stop using universities as a career farm.

gunna have to ask for some clarification -

>define worthless
they all lead to ~$50K/year jobs, save for economics. you got a humanities degree and a much better salary? no insults, please enlighten us, were all kind of in the same boat here friendo

>everyone's picking economics because they're too unimaginative and too afraid to choose anything else.
i completely agree, it's a safe bet to a "high standard of living" yet, arn't we all trying to find that balanced medium between adequate salary and adequate job satisfaction/fulfillment

>Stop using universities as a career farm
explain?

no seriously, you seem like you might know more. if you have more to share, i'd like to hear

>no ivies

You're on your own kid...

oh, almost forgot to say, i'm the guy planning to get the two MA's, history and info science

my ideal - librarian/archivist job, maybe for a law firm or university, but public and private collections are cool too

just hoping for a ~$50K salary with time for a life in between, dreams of having enough time to write some short stories, and my fiance is a math major so i think we're gunna be ok

any/all advice welcome

Kys,honestly,gonna be a existential pain live without a job needing constantly of others to live or work with something that you don't like

To be Frank.

A Bachelor Degree in History is a good jumping off point. If you're a suburban white kid from America like me, you're probably just going to school because you're parents told you to. You love history, so fuck it, you learn some cool stuff. Grow brain make rents happy, two birds one stone.

Next you're probably gona wana join the police force, the military, or start applying for loans and sucking up to every professor you have so you can go for a masters and eventually phd.
if you really like History you'll find that getting good grades is easy depending on your professor. Lots of reading... but that beats trying to learn calculus for sure.

Am I missing anything? Oh... if you have any friends or family who has connections to educational institutions, get some interships and make connections because you're going to want to find that getting a job as a history teacher or professor is hard as fuck.

Alternatively you can minor in art or duel major in art history so you can get a job in a museum. Also requires a lot of dick sucking to people.

Really all depends what you're gona do.

I'm joining the air guard as an officer. Theyll pay off my loans and give me a good salary if i stay in active duty. But I'm practically selling my soul for 6 years.

History is fun but also sucks.

Good luck user!

Get a different job in something else you like.

Use your money to buy history books. That's what I do.

>you're parents
no i'm doesn't

but seriously OP, phd is A LOT of time and money just to get qualified for a job that is VERY tough to get started in

join the club of people who've thrown in the towel on the history professor dream (unless a school offers to pay for your phd) and think more practically

do more research though. no reason to completely give up and join the service yet. getting a masters is manageable, everyone's in debt bro it's 2017..and if you live off campus and commute, you'll save $...just be smart and get whatev degrees you're gunna get ASAP before you gotta juggle school/rent/bills/etc all at once

sincerly rooting for you

If you get a job in something that you love, you will eventually lose your interest in it.

Eh... yes, yes you can.

First, the obvious, teacher, even if High School teacher.

Second, depending on your country, political studies and join a political party. You can also get a Masters Political or Government Policy, it can help to get a job in the government.

Third, believe it or not, games and videogames, companies like AGEOD (I'm not sure if Paradox still) need people specialized to make accurate historical games. It is difficult but possible.

Last and maybe the most difficult (maybe) researcher.

Work in a library or an archive.

This is underrated as fuck. Econ is filling up fast, but it you can do some basic calculus and stats you're looking at six figures. And people with knowledge of economic history and economic philosophy are incredibly valuable right now, because most people in the field right now are too intellectual for business but too lazy for STEM, but they still worship the math aspects of econ way more than they need to.

Don't teach high school. I have a friend who tried teaching high school history, and even though the students weren't too bad, he hated the parents.